Paradigm S8 vs. PSB Platinum T-8 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm S8 vs. PSB Platinum T-8

DrJ 1
10-18-2006, 05:05 AM
I am considering either the Paradigm S8 or the PSB T-8 for both music and HT application. I have auditioned S8, but not been able to find a local PBS dealer in Va. Beach, Va. area. So I haven't been able to audition them. Although both are Canadian manufacured, does anyone know the tonal differences between the two. Is it worth my while to explore further the PSB T-8 to compare the two speakers. I love the appearance of the S-8 in maple or black finish. Any advice. ARJ

3db
10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I am considering either the Paradigm S8 or the PSB T-8 for both music and HT application. I have auditioned S8, but not been able to find a local PBS dealer in Va. Beach, Va. area. So I haven't been able to audition them. Although both are Canadian manufacured, does anyone know the tonal differences between the two. Is it worth my while to explore further the PSB T-8 to compare the two speakers. I love the appearance of the S-8 in maple or black finish. Any advice. ARJ

Thats a lot of coin to put down so you wanna make REAL sure that you are happy with what you are hearing. And only once you begin to audition others will you begin to know differences amongst speakers.

I'm biased towards PSB over Paradigm having compared several Image series and Monitor series speakers respectively.

Bring along music/movies you know well, take notes and have fun.

kexodusc
10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I find these brands to sound fairly similar in presentation with small distinguishing differences from model to model - they aim for flat responses which leads to the "bright" sound some people don't like. Some do. Like me.

Unlike 3db, I've preferred Paradigm more often than PSB, though I owned a few models of each make over the last 8 years or so. Just goes to show you'll have to test them for yourself instead of looking for a consensus, everyone's ears are different. To be honest, at that price, I don't think I'd take either - lots of good speakers out there. Start looking at as many other makes as you can - that's a good chunk of coin so you'll want to make sure you spend it wisely.

DrJ 1
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks to both of you. I have listened to other speaker lines, B&W, Gallo Nucleus Ref. 3, Def Tech, and a few others. Beleive or not, the Gallo Nucleus sounded the best to me, as you put it, "bright", but when listening to a movie with the Gallo center channel, it seemed "sophmoric" for lack of a better term. I didn't care for the B&W(800 series I believe) either. I am willing to travel to audition, but audition WHAT. Would appreciate suggestions. I don't neet Rears, I have 4 BPX (Def Tech Bipolars for rears), but want a full range for mains with appropriate styling. The room is 20x 23 with 9 foot ceilings. REX

kexodusc
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I think you might get a lot more hits and suggestions if you were to post a "$5000 + to spend on speakers - need suggestions"

If you can find in your area brands such as Focus Audio, Von Schweikert or drive to Kentucky to demo some Tyler Acoustics you'd be off to a good start.

Since you've got a bunch of Def Tech already, that's not a bad place to look into if you like that kind of sound.

3db
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47351

Some of the higher end models are from Focus, Gershman, and Coincident to name a few

Pat D
10-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I have heard both speakers but unfortunately the PSB Platinum T8's were in the deadest room I've ever been in, large, with padded chairs, walls, ceiling and floor. The PSB's sounded very smooth in that acoustic, but well, dead. They probably sound very good in a more normal set up.

The Paradigm Signature S8 is one of the very finest speakers I have ever heard, natural sound, very easy to listen to, spacious stereo image, and so on. We have the Signature S2 speakers, which cost less, but then we have a big subwoofer and don't listen super loud. We also have a pair of PSB Stratus Minis, now doing a fine job with movie soundtracks in the basement.

I see there seem to be no PSB dealers in your area! If you travel to the big cities (I found the Platinums in Chicago) you might be able to find some PSB Platinums there. The ideal would be to have a home audition or home trial for both speakers but this may prove more difficult with the PSBs.

I haven't seen NRC measurements for the T8 but I have seen measurements for the T6, which can be found on the Soundstage site. They are extraordinarily good, but then so are the measurements for the Signature S8. I imagine that above the bass, the T6 and T8 measure similarly although the woofer and midrange drivers are different. If you want a good index of the quality, look at the extraordinarily flat "Listening Window" measurements for both speakers in Chart 2 of the NRC curves at Soundstage:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/psb_platinum_t6/

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_signature_s8/

John Atkinson reviewed the T8 in Stereophile but his system of measurements is somewhat different so they can't be directly compared.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1103psb/index4.html

I think the off axis measurements for the Paradigm are slightly better, but really to make a choice, one should hear them both. The PSB speaker probably sounds slightly more forward. There may be some subtleties that don't show up in the measurements. But really, I doubt you could go wrong with either one. Personally, I would go with the one I could actually audition.

PeruvianSkies
10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
My answer is the Platinum T8's, but my opinion is so biased it's not even funny since I just bought the T6's 2 weeks ago and I am a huge supporter for PSB. However, my answer is depending on a few things....

First, what is your room size?

What are you using to drive the speakers?

Are there any other factors to know about? For example, are you able to get a better deal on one versus the other?

These may help. Also, don't rely on the spec sheet alone because on paper the PSB's never come close to just how amazing they are once you hear them!!! We are talking about one of the most clever speaker designers out there!

SlumpBuster
10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, I've been waiting on the sideline to see how this would develope. Frankly, the "I've got $5K" proposition can be somewhat controversial since is a very popular price point with loads of options.

By my count we've got one vote for PSB, one vote for Paradigm, and a couple votes for neither. Here's my thought:

At this this price range, loudspeakers should be like sex and pizza, even when they're bad, they're still pretty good. Differences and preferences should be a matter of very subtle qualities that may be lost on the casual listener. So it is going to be tough to make a truely bad desicion.

I really like the S8. I have not heard the PSB. However, my biggest problem in this price range is the retail markup. You can get alot more speaker from the online direct manufactures. Someone already mentioned Tyler. I haven't hit this price point yet (probably a few more years yet) but when I do, Tyler will be first on my list. And they have a money back guarantee.

So my vote is the S8 if your stuck in retail mode, and Tyler if your willing to go online.

PeruvianSkies
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
The only online authorized dealer for PSB that I know of is dmc-electronics. RIght now you can get the PSB T-8's for $3900. A superb deal!

sethmckiness
10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, I am higly biased... but the s8 Paradigms didn't sound like any other paradigm I have heard before.. They made up for the lack of imaging I find in paradigms (compared with Magnepans). They are far and away the best speaker I have ever heard, but I have not heard a huge spectrum of speakers to be an unbiased judge.. plus I work for a paradigm dealer... so... I am biased. but, all that aside, from what I know of both brands you will most likely be very satisfied with either.. so good luck and listen away!

Seth

PeruvianSkies
10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
My guess would be that these two contenders could go quite a few rounds with one another if driven properly I think that in the end the Platinum T8 would win by TKO.

RGA
10-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Why and how did these two become the finalists?

B&W has issues and depending which ones you've heard is not exactly the greatest competition in the world. The 700 series to me is dreadful for the money.

I was uninpressed with the S8 dynamics and tonality and basically it sounded too similar to the 100V2 a good 2k speaker - If the S8 was about that price I'd recommend them very enthusiastically like I did the 100V2 - but at 3.5-4x that price umm no.

I'd be sure to go to audioasylum and find out about auditioning several other KINDS of designs like Magneplanars, electrostatics, horns and other high efficiency designs, and other lesser known makers who don't really need to advertise.

This is a lot of money and based on my auditions of the S8 it sounds far too much like a $2k floorstander (too much like their own 2k floorstander) and not enough like many other $8kish and much better speakers out there.

sethmckiness
10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
maybe it's just me, or might be the equipment I heard them on but the S8s blew away the 100s, but I also think the 100s just kinda blow anyway. now, the S2 to Studio 40, the last time I did that comparo, it was too close for me to tell.

I was listening to the S8s on a Conrad Johnson PV14 with an Anthem AMP1 and a higher end marantz single disc as a source... it's the system that is usually reserved for the magnepan demos

PeruvianSkies
10-26-2006, 11:05 PM
While it's nearly impossible to hear every speaker out there in the price range as the PSB Platinum T8, the ones that I have heard that fall into it's price category couldn't hold a candle to it in overall performance. If you read many of the professional reviews for it, they compare it to speakers that are far past it's price point and I have yet to hear anything negative about the Platinum line. Not only that, but it's just a beautiful speaker that means business. What I like best about my T6's is the fact that they reveal the source about as perfectly as I have ever heard in their range. High-end is superbly detailed, mid-range is incredible, and the low end is tight, controlled, and powerful all at the same time. This is the reason years ago I fell in love with PSB.... I don't think they are the worlds best, but for my money...they get the job done and I can feel proud to own something that sounds immaculate without paying as much as a Lexus to have it. I can't wait to finally drive my T6's one day with some real amps, which is why I am looking to drive them with the 400w Classe'

PS I know a place where you can get the T8 for under $4000.

mbkfab
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I too have been sidelining this thread. This thread really speaks to 2 of my faves. For many years the Stratus Mini's tickled my fancy.

I just really wanna throw in a vote. My vote goes to the Paradigm. I had a chance to baby sit a pair of the PSBs for about 5 weeks. It is easy to see why people fall in-love with these speakers. Just the overall dynamics and tonality...oh so natural.

Frankly, the Paradigms did me in as, just as well. I just think that the Platinums are very closely touched at by the Paradigm Studio Series (well, so is true with the Plats).

It just seems senseless to spend that kinda coin for a slight difference. I don't really think that PSB has anything to offer in the arena of the STUDIO Series. That's why PSb would be the choice is you are brand loyal.

My 2 bits,

mbkfab

PeruvianSkies
10-28-2006, 09:17 PM
PSB has nothing to offer in the arena of the Studio series...? Are you kidding? You said that you loved the Stratus Mini's, but have you heard the Platinum line? The Platinum's are 3-4X the speaker that the Stratus' were and that's an accomplishment, since the Stratus Gold's were a crowd pleaser for so long and are still a sheer winner in many audiophiles setup. It would be nice to see some more people with something other than Paradigm since that's all the people seem to talk about and lean towards without even giving other manufacturers a chance.

mbkfab
10-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Peruvianskies,

You are so right. The Stratus Minis are a true gem! I just meant that if for the kind of money mentioned ($5k++), something more current would be the way to go.

Imho, it's seems difficult to settle spending $5k on dated speakers. (Now, all you PSB owners, please don't lash at my "dated" remark). Nonetheless, more strenuous to locate locally.

Certainly, there are many equally glowing reviews for both the T8s & S8. I have not seen, to date, any write-ups comparing one to the other and coming up with a sound bottom-line. NONE! I wouldn't dare try it.

It's like wondering who would win a war-games tounament between the US Navy & Air Force.

I would never minimize the PSB Stratus Anything! EVER!

Like I said, my 2 bits (+1). My entry was just to add to the votes, nothing else. Intrinsically, mine is a reluctant Paradigm (S8, that is). In the Studio arena, no official vote! Luv 'em both (ie, S20 vs Mini).

Woochifer
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Keep in mind that Paradigm has already announced the Signature v.2 series, which will replace the existing Signature models. I have no idea when they will start appearing in stores, but typically by the time Paradigm announces a product update, the existing models have already gone out of production. This means that you will likely find the S8s at closeout pricing, but piecing together a 5.1 set with the matched center and surround speakers in the same finish will depend on whatever inventory remains in the distributor's warehouse. Definitely a consideration if don't intend to buy the full 5.1 setup at the same time.

musicman1999
10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
If you are looking to spend in that price range you owe yourself a listen to the Jm Labs Profile series,or if you can swing it the Electra series.Both are outstanding for movies and music.I currently run a Cobalt series 5.1 setup that easily bested everything that I spent 6 months comparing them to.They do require high quality electronics to work their best.

bill

PeruvianSkies
10-30-2006, 01:17 AM
DrJ,

As you can see by reading this thread that you have a difficult decision. I am curious as to whether or not you are set on either of these two manufacturers or if you have other considerations as well. You most likely can't go wrong with either one of these, despite many of us having our personal affiliations tied to one or the other. You are the one that will need to make that decision, but perhaps investigating some other brands might even help narrow down your choices a bit as well. I think determining a bottom line dollar amount might help as well, otherwise this could get out of hand! We are excited to hear what you end up with!!

Pat D
10-30-2006, 07:27 AM
maybe it's just me, or might be the equipment I heard them on but the S8s blew away the 100s, but I also think the 100s just kinda blow anyway. now, the S2 to Studio 40, the last time I did that comparo, it was too close for me to tell.

I was listening to the S8s on a Conrad Johnson PV14 with an Anthem AMP1 and a higher end marantz single disc as a source... it's the system that is usually reserved for the magnepan demos

I quite agree that the Signatures are in quite a different class than the Reference Studios. The Studio 100, v. 3, does have its points, nice wide dispersion and stable image, but it is simply more colored than the S8 and also rather brighter.

mbkfab
10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
DrJ

I'll have to agree with PeruvianSkies, you really owe it to yourself to demo other brands. I know it is impossible to sample them all (even well after your decision is made).

PSB & Paradigm are definitely in the range of "No Brainer" -- you can't go wrong. It's remains to be a decision on what you can live with for a long time. All the entries here are largely opinions. Opinions based on perceptions. Differences are going to be so minute that when perceived by a more seasoned ear, that ear may or may not agree with it.

Do yourself a favor: pick out 1 or 2 more brands and try 'em. Don't go into the area of "what about this,...or that". Do let us know though. Let some of us know.

jazz nut
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Bring some cds and dvds to test both speakers and take it from there.

I am partial to Paradigms, though.

Good luck.

accastil
11-09-2006, 01:34 PM
i agree. its going to be your bucks spent on these speakers. take some more time to evaluate them yourself. i belive you know how to...also, why not consider other reputable names like JM Lab, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio...you dont want to have either the S8 or the T8 and soon hearing a better one from another brand. so listen to them all within your budget and take it from there...