If you need a center channel for Ar.com's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : If you need a center channel for Ar.com's

hmmmm
10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure If I'm allowed to do this, but I just put this on Ebay. It's EFE Speakers Extensively modified DV62CLR-6. It was recommended as a good center for the AR.com's.
Thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=170039825891

yogo
10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Why are you selling it?

hmmmm
10-21-2006, 03:46 AM
I got the DIY bug so bad I built all new speakers based on RJB Audio's 2.5 crossover. They are pretty large towers witha matching center.
This is a good center channel and has great reviews but I have a large room so I wanted larger speakers. The new DIY cost me a fortune, so I thought I should try to make some money back. They're pictured in the gallery under DIY "Roman 2.5"

kexodusc
10-21-2006, 05:37 AM
I'll vouch for the BIC center channel - it's a great, inexpensive speaker with a lot of potential. It didn't quite have the resolution level of my old Paradigm Studio CC, but it was close. It definitely had more bass, and much closer voicing to the ar.com's I have as home theater speakers. I actually did a shoot out with 2 of the DV62CLRS I bought from EFE and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5's. To my surprise, the BIC's actually outperformed in most areas. I think I posted a review on them under the model # in the review section.

Compared to much more expensive speakers, it's runs into problems as you crank the volume, but you really have to crank it before you run into that, louder than typical theater levels. For most users that won't be an issue. In addition to completely redesigning the crossover, Ed Frias of EFE individually test each driver, and all the crossover components to ensure tight tolerance levels are kept throughout. Something you won't find in most speakers below $1000 or more. This degree of scrutiny is what separates budget speakers from higher-end models.

The cabinet is well constructed, 5/8" MDF, not particle board like many sub $1000 speakers. I feel the speaker benefits from a slight tweak - acoustic foam or decent damping material on the walls beyond what is lined on the rear wall, this smoothes out the bass a bit more, and I find cuts down on the minor cabinet resonance at higher frequenceis. a handful or two of polyfill would be better than nothing. Cheap, easy, and effective. You may prefer the stock damping however.

Good speaker for the money, voiced matched to the ar.com's and IMO it's a better sounding alternative than just building another ar.com speaker for center duty.

YMMV

yogo
10-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Bought it!