Gallo Reference speakers as HT mains [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gallo Reference speakers as HT mains

DrJ 1
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Has anyone used the Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 speakers as mains in HT application, and also have the accompanying Center by Gallo. REX

Dusty Chalk
10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
I go to a friend's house quite often, and he uses the Reference 3's as his front L&R mains. With the extra amp. But no center channel. They are quite good. When I saw a pair go locally for not much more than US$2K, I was wishing I had that kind of dosh to spare.

I was thinking about getting the Reference AV or the Due myself, as I need wider dispersion speakers.

jamesgarvin
10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I am using the Gallo Reference 3.1, with the bass amp as the main fronts, so my comments likely apply to your 3. I do not have the center speaker (yet). The positives are that because of the wide disperson of the tweeter, and the speaker in general, and because of the lack of a box like enclosure, it sometimes sounds almost as if there is another set of surround speakers behind or to the sides of the Gallos. Voices are reproduced without any hint of enclosure colorations, and contrary to some reports, full bodied. The natural presentation of voices really enhances the home theater experience.

If you have a non-front projection video display, I think the only downside is that the box between the speakers effects their wide dispersion of sound. Because I have a direct view television between the speakers, my 3.1s are three feet from the rear wall, which I think helps the dispersion, and certainly with music, but it does mean that the speakers are significantly beyond the video display, creating something of a discontinuity (distance) between what is happening on the screen and what you hear.