Did N. Korea do the right thing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did N. Korea do the right thing?

noddin0ff
10-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Just seems dead here...discuss.

kexodusc
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I think sooner or later the world's going to have to accept if any one country feels it has a right to own nukes, then they have to accept that every other country can, and many will, follow suit. I don't like that Iran and N. Korea, or even China could have them, but there's not much you can do when you're sitting on the largest arsenal on earth preaching anti-proliferation. Arguments about their intended purpose don't hold weight, either. History shows that we've been wrong more often than right at predicting the intent of foreign states. And vice-versa.

Don't know what you can do. Build a bigger nuke, I guess.
The great military equalizer. Someday our species will build weapons so destructive that population and military size and armament will be irrelevant compared to just having possession of the bomb. Just hope there's smarter diplomats than the current bunch in Pyongyang and Washington when that happens. Drama queens.

Couldn't we all just get along?

GMichael
10-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I gotta agree with Kex. Trying to stop them (or any other country) from getting nukes will only make enemies of them. They will still get the nukes eventually. But now they'll be anti-Americans with nukes. We should let them be, but advise them that with great power comes great responsibilities. They can no longer act like spoiled little teenagers. Time to grow up. (of coarse this last part would need to be cleaned up by some diplomat type or they'd still hate us)

KaiWinters
10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
A nuke in every pot is a very dangerous idea.

Did N Korea do the right thing? From my perspective NO! They have no need for such a weapon. What are they worried about? They have China as a major supporter in the area. China makes good use of them but seems to have lost a bit of control recently...Somewhat like we have lost control of petty dictators in our stable lately.

I do not see N Korea actually using such a weapon but there are individuals and groups that would not hesitate.

I am not happy seeing any country with nuclear weapons but in reality I prefer the major countries holding them opposed to others.

What can we do about it? Absolutely Nothing at the moment and probably for some time to come. We are too stretched out militarily. We are in an election period and overall I believe Americans are sick and tired of how our current war is going to support much else.

Florian
10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I dont think that N.Korea, China or the USA should have nukes. But why does anybody do anything at all? The point is, whats done is done!

trollgirl
10-17-2006, 06:47 PM
There is some doubt that NK set off a nuke at all. The BBC reported that analysis of particles in the atmosphere of the area do not indicate a nuclear blast. NK's nuclear program is probably about as phoney as their showplaces for foreign tourists. Or about as phoney as the Zambian space program - not kidding here, they did have one.

It has all happened before. The once-great Rama Empire, now almost as mythical as Atlantis, was brought to an end by weapons which the old vedas describe as being as brignt as ten thousand suns. Recent excavations in Mohenjo-Daro have turned up many intact skeletons in the streets. Intact, as in never disturbed by scavengers because they were dead too. The skeletons were highly radioactive...

Oppenheimer, when asked if the Trinity blast was the first, replied, "Yes, in modern times."

Laz

Feanor
10-18-2006, 04:01 AM
There is some doubt that NK set off a nuke at all. The BBC reported that analysis of particles in the atmosphere of the area do not indicate a nuclear blast. NK's nuclear program is probably about as phoney as their showplaces for foreign tourists. Or about as phoney as the Zambian space program - not kidding here, they did have one.

It has all happened before. The once-great Rama Empire, now almost as mythical as Atlantis, was brought to an end by weapons which the old vedas describe as being as brignt as ten thousand suns. Recent excavations in Mohenjo-Daro have turned up many intact skeletons in the streets. Intact, as in never disturbed by scavengers because they were dead too. The skeletons were highly radioactive...

Oppenheimer, when asked if the Trinity blast was the first, replied, "Yes, in modern times."

Laz

... This nonsense? :confused: :crazy: :sleep:

kexodusc
10-18-2006, 04:45 AM
I dont think that N.Korea, China or the USA should have nukes. But why does anybody do anything at all? The point is, whats done is done!

Flo that's the smartest thing you've said on these forums. Couldn't agree more. Why does anyone need nukes? Defensive measures? Deterrent? Nukes aren't an effective deterrent to acts of aggression, but rather a catalyst for nuclear proliferation. Build a bigger weapon, and your enemies counter.

But we're stuck with Nukes now. I don't see any major country backing down and disarming completely. No way. Now that the technology is out there, everyone feels they need ot have nukes as a deterrent against other nuclear attack. That whole MAD theory.

That's bad news for the UN and the USA.

I see this coming to a head sooner rather than later. If N. Korea and Iran are going to build nuclear arsenals, then the UN and the USA has to decide if they want to stop them soon. That means attacking the means of producing them. And sanctions aren't going to cut it. Because once they get Nukes, there's far less probability of any successful military action against these countries. If Iraq actually had WMD they would have used them on their own soil and we would have taken a much, much worse beating. Scorched Earth. If the UN goes in guns a blazin' to Iran or NK once their armed with Nukes, look out.

The only positive to come out of this that I can see is the UN getting a major facelift, or scrapped and replaced with something more effective.

I agree though, I doubt NK will ever fire a Nuke off - the inevitable retaliation would end the regime. I'm just worried about a few crazy terrorists strapping warheads to their chests and walking into a football stadium somewhere....

kexodusc
10-18-2006, 04:54 AM
What? Didn't you hear? There were empires, powerful empires who achieved space/time travel. They grew so powerful that they destroyed themselves, leaving no records behind - until Laz found'em.

Here's a picture of what they looked like:

Feanor
10-18-2006, 05:05 AM
I agree though, I doubt NK will ever fire a Nuke off - the inevitable retaliation would end the regime. I'm just worried about a few crazy terrorists strapping warheads to their chests and walking into a football stadium somewhere....

It's all posturing on the part of NK. They don't intent to attack anybody; the real risk is that they sell weapons to people to do. NK has a long history of success successful threats followed by appeasement; this only the latest cycle. The US and Japan have had enough but it seems China and Russia aren't yet ready to draw the line.

As for MAD, well, the best thing that can be said is that it worked while the players were supers powers. It might be different tale when a bunch of smaller states or even orgs like Al-Qaeda get hold of them.

bobsticks
10-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Well, gosh and gee, we could talk about the Hitleresque tendencies of that bizarre, little man in charge over there. We could view the videos of the soldiers goose-stepping...

We could talk about about the fact that Japan and China, two countries which loathe one another so much so that they tend to go to war every 900 years actually agree that the PRNK has crossed the line (figuratively)...

We could talk about the fact that Japan and Russia who were still technically fighting WWII until the fall of the Soviet Republic actually agree that the PRNK is in the wrong...

We could battle over the intentions of NK, even though Feonor is probably correct in that the true intent is pure bribery...

But, surely we can all agree that a country that has to borrow hundreds of millions of dollars a year merely to feed its people could find more humanitarian uses for its resources than nuclear development...and before you ask, I am unconditionally against all nuclear weapons anywhere, anytime, owned by anybody.

trollgirl
10-19-2006, 04:21 PM

Feanor:

Which part are you calling "nonsense"?

Zambia really did have a "space program" - farce that it was.

The Rama Empire really did exist, and its demise by nukes is not proven, but very likely.

The Oppenheimer quote is just that, to my best recollection, but I admit I was not there.

Laz

trollgirl
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
What? Didn't you hear? There were empires, powerful empires who achieved space/time travel. They grew so powerful that they destroyed themselves, leaving no records behind - until Laz found'em.

I meant to say in my last post, as to where I get this stuff: I simply read widely, and my big interest is the evidence for advanced technology in ancient times. There is a whole lot coming to light these days, such as the very many shaped stones in Egypt which could only have been shaped and polished by machine tools, given the tolerances and consistency of the work. You just have to look at the stones from a Machinist's point of view. The sheer number of optical lenses coming from ancient soil is amazing. You laugh, but the evidence, such as vitrified sands, vitrified stone walls, radioactive town sites, etc, can only impell you to wonder just what went on way back when...

Spend some time at Graham Hancock's website, or Chris Dunn's website. They open up whole new vistas to the mind.

Laz