Another DVI-to-HDMI Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another DVI-to-HDMI Thread

ericl
10-17-2006, 09:51 AM
This is just to share my pleasant surprise after adding a dvi-hdmi cable to my system. I was using the stock three meter component cables that comcast provided with my HD cable box, and I replaced them with a Kimber DVI to HDMI cable.

I wasn't expecting much, but the picture was noticeably improved. Smoother and much improved color saturation. I watched the end of the Bears-Cardinals game, followed by Saving Private Ryan. I didn't really think that the picture could get better, but both looked incredible and undeniably better than before. There was less of the "blocking" artifacts that occur when the camera quickly pans over action(what's the tech term for that? I'm terrible with my videophile vocabulary).. which leads me to believe that perhaps the DVI output of the comcast box is just better implemented than the component output? fun stuff!

eric

edtyct
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Eric,

Motion blur. Are you talking about the Pioneer? The panel will have to scale and deinterlace (if given 1080i) whatever it gets from the Comcast box. Without a fairly advanced algorithm in place, displays can have trouble processing motion, inevitably softening the picture because of the difficulty of connecting all of the moving dots from frame to frame. Sometimes the softening is intentional to filter out the kind of jagged edges that such processing can otherwise create. DVI and HDMI have a nominal advantage over component in general because they avoid A/D conversions from source to sink that can also rob a picture of sharpness. An analog (component) feed combined with the rigors of video processing might, on certain displays, give digital connection a decided edge.

Ed

GMichael
10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
OK guys,

You've talked me into it. I'll order HDMI cables.
When I ordered my new cable hook-up I was told that their boxes did not have HDMI connections. I just went ahead and bought enough component cables to do the job. But then when they showed up, lookie here, what's this? HDMI connectors. The guy tried to sell me basic crap cables for $50 each (I need 4). I passed at the time. But I see that I can get 4 fairly nice cables from PE for 13.76 each.

Thanks for the information.

ericl
10-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Eric,

Motion blur. Are you talking about the Pioneer? The panel will have to scale and deinterlace (if given 1080i) whatever it gets from the Comcast box. Without a fairly advanced algorithm in place, displays can have trouble processing motion, inevitably softening the picture because of the difficulty of connecting all of the moving dots from frame to frame. Sometimes the softening is intentional to filter out the kind of jagged edges that such processing can otherwise create. DVI and HDMI have a nominal advantage over component in general because they avoid A/D conversions from source to sink that can also rob a picture of sharpness. An analog (component) feed combined with the rigors of video processing might, on certain displays, give digital connection a decided edge.

Ed
No, Pioneer took the plasma away already, unfortunately it was an exceedingly short review period. I couldn't even get this cable in time, let alone an HD player. :(

This is with my own personal Sony 30" CRT set. Other than the obviously significant decrease in size, and the motion blur, i haven't been disappointed in going back to it. It's a pretty set.

edtyct
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Well, then I take back everything that I said about D/A conversion above. CRTs don't have any choice but to make a D/A conversion from a digital source. Your Sony just seems to like a digital connection.