Pendragon: Believe (Review) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pendragon: Believe (Review)

BarryL
10-17-2006, 05:21 AM
I picked up the latest Pendragon CD Believe a couple of weeks ago. I must say, this is an outstanding CD. There are a few soft spots, but the band takes some chances and they pay off nicely. The playing comes off very Pink Floydish at times, but in a good way. Lots of catchy melodies combined with mystical moodiness, and the songs are kept short enough that they never lose their focus.

The opening track is an instrumental called Believe that feature female vocals that sound incredibly like Happy Rhodes, but I can't find any credits for the vocalist on this track, and no mention of it on Happy's website, so it probably isn't her.

I'd give this a nine out of ten, and recommend it to anyone who likes melodic neo-prog that's more on the prog side than the pop side. Probably Pendragon's best album yet. Obviously would appeal to fans of IQ, Marillion, and Arena.

They have a new DVD coming out soon. Based on this album, I'm looking forward to it.

Dusty Chalk
10-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow, Happy Rhodes -- now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

3-LockBox
10-17-2006, 02:07 PM

Isn't she Dusty's daughter?

3-LockBox
10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I'll have to check it out. I have Pendragon's Not Of This World and found it to be Marillion 101, but there was some decent stuff on there and it was better than any album Marillion's put out recently.

BarryL
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM

I learned about her from you. Very ethereal. I love the combination of her two voices: Kate Bush and Annie Lennox.

Looks like she has a new album coming out soon.

Dusty Chalk
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Huzzah. Thanks for bringing her up. Will be on the lookout for it.