Why turn svm off? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why turn svm off?

weeboy
02-07-2004, 10:38 AM
When reading replies re. tv set up often it is suggested to defeat or turn off the Scan velocity modulation feature on the set.
Even in the reports in sound & vision they refer to the fact that the best results in picture quality occur after the svm has been by-passed.
I was under the impression that the svm was a good thing that enhanced the picture and extended the life of the set.
Why do I want to turn this off?
Also can any one suggest optimum picture settings for a Toshiba HX83 set up in a basement HT with no natural light intrusion.

Thanks Ken

mtrycraft
02-07-2004, 06:06 PM
When reading replies re. tv set up often it is suggested to defeat or turn off the Scan velocity modulation feature on the set.
Even in the reports in sound & vision they refer to the fact that the best results in picture quality occur after the svm has been by-passed.
I was under the impression that the svm was a good thing that enhanced the picture and extended the life of the set.
Why do I want to turn this off?
Also can any one suggest optimum picture settings for a Toshiba HX83 set up in a basement HT with no natural light intrusion.

Thanks Ken

First, you should use one of the Several
DVd TV and audio setup discs on the market to set up your TV. Avia, a guide to Home theater,
Sound & Vision home theater tuneup
Video Essentials

SVM actually distorts what has been recorded, captured in the studio to impress the unsuspecting viewer. It doesn't extend the life but shortens it.

Smokey
02-07-2004, 09:24 PM
As Mtry mentioned, calibration disk might be a good investment (some BlockBuster also rent it).

Sometimes VSM make a picture crisper by enhancing the edge of objects on screen. It always work best when source is of high quality. If VSM is defeat-able on your TV, try it and see if you like the enchantment. Some TVs do a better job of utilizing VSM than others.

I don't think that feature have anything to do with life span of your set :)