Uh, oh... here we go again - "best" inexpensive speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uh, oh... here we go again - "best" inexpensive speaker?

Jimmy C
10-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I know, I know... all the hyperbole - "my wife said it sounds better", or maybe "sounds as good as speakers costing thrice the price". I am guilty of this too, but at least I try to expound on whatever shortcomings there might (WILL) be :*)

I recently took delivery of the Onix x-ls stand-mounts from AV123.com. I was using Paradigm's Studio 60s in my small/medium bedroom, but I felt I needed something a bit less bulky, less Darth Vader-ish. People have been talking about the Onix being a great value, non-fatigueing, and quite frankly, I liked the finish. O.K., sold.

I've had a few inexpensive speakers within the last five years, ranging from free, to $200. The Boston Acoustics A100 (free), Boston Acoustics A150s ($10), Snell JII ($20), The (aacck) Insignias ($50), Dayton BR1 ($139), Paradigm Titans ($190). I feel the Onix is the best OVERALL ca. $200 transducer that I have heard. And sure, I'm counting all the cheap stuff I have heard in the last 28 years in various high-end stores.

Let's get the bad news outta the way...

1) There is no last octave-and-a-half. If it's something recorded well in the first place (Bela Fleck, Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool", for eg.) the bass is very satisfying. With certain CDs, I can even induce a bit of pressurized "room lock" at reasonable volumes. If at all possible, just buy the matching sub - you'll have a very satisfying 2.1 system for peanuts.

2) Not sure if it's something about the x-over, the cabinet, drivers, or what, but there is an ever so slight "tubbiness", something cheezy about the upper bass, lower mids. Not as bad as my BR1s, nowhere near as bad as the Titans. Hell, the $2200 Spendor S6 is worse in this respect. Not that bad.

3) Stated sensitivity is 87 @ 1 watt, 8 ohms, yet I fell my Revels (stated 86, and 6) go louder, even in a larger room?!?!?! I know some companies OVERstate the sensitivity, and Revel has actually been known to downplay the ratings a bit. I'm using Rotel 995/991 (200 WPC) combo on the Onix, and they were quite composed with the volume at almost 1 o'clock. I've had the amp/pre for about 6 years, believe me, this is almost maxed out... the Onix took abuse in stride. Not with head-banging metal... still.

So what's so good about the Onix? The midrange, if you ask me. VERY resolving. Not too many speakers in this price range can do this. I (erroneously) had it in my head that these were gonna be dark and ultra-mellow ala Sonus Faber. Not so, they are very alive. But, they are revealing without being fatigueing... not always easy to do - especially in the $200 range.

HF is good... nothing outstanding, but not grating either. The soft-dome seems to go out pretty far to me. Not ultra-silky, but no problems. Decay on cymbal shimmer, or a struck piano key is fine... nice spaciousness. You're not gonna fool anyone the instrument in actually in the room, but is satisfying enough. Price is right... (C'Mon Down!)

Oh... I almost forgot (not really)... the finish is beautiful.. I got the white Maple. The cabinet wouldn't be out of place in a $2000/pr speakers. Obviously, knuckle wrap tests, internal bracing, materials, etc. would say otherwise, but ALL of these VERY good in the pricing tier. I believe the x-ls use 3/4 inch MDF. Terminal cup is a bit tight, sux.

Verdict? I'm thinking the Onix x-ls, DEFINITELY the matching sub (which is also beautifully finished), possibly a Cambridge 50/watt integrated (whatever), an entry-level CDP and maybe a NAD/Pro-Ject TT... what a satisfying, easy-to-get-into rig you would have... WAY under $1500.

Jimmy has a few bills to pay, then he's gonna order the sub.

46minaudio
10-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I know, I know... all the hyperbole - "my wife said it sounds better", or maybe "sounds as good as speakers costing thrice the price". I am guilty of this too, but at least I try to expound on whatever shortcomings there might (WILL) be :*)

I recently took delivery of the Onix x-ls stand-mounts from AV123.com. I was using Paradigm's Studio 60s in my small/medium bedroom, but I felt I needed something a bit less bulky, less Darth Vader-ish. People have been talking about the Onix being a great value, non-fatigueing, and quite frankly, I liked the finish. O.K., sold.

I've had a few inexpensive speakers within the last five years, ranging from free, to $200. The Boston Acoustics A100 (free), Boston Acoustics A150s ($10), Snell JII ($20), The (aacck) Insignias ($50), Dayton BR1 ($139), Paradigm Titans ($190). I feel the Onix is the best OVERALL ca. $200 transducer that I have heard. And sure, I'm counting all the cheap stuff I have heard in the last 28 years in various high-end stores.

Let's get the bad news outta the way...

1) There is no last octave-and-a-half. If it's something recorded well in the first place (Bela Fleck, Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool", for eg.) the bass is very satisfying. With certain CDs, I can even induce a bit of pressurized "room lock" at reasonable volumes. If at all possible, just buy the matching sub - you'll have a very satisfying 2.1 system for peanuts.

2) Not sure if it's something about the x-over, the cabinet, drivers, or what, but there is an ever so slight "tubbiness", something cheezy about the upper bass, lower mids. Not as bad as my BR1s, nowhere near as bad as the Titans. Hell, the $2200 Spendor S6 is worse in this respect. Not that bad.

3) Stated sensitivity is 87 @ 1 watt, 8 ohms, yet I fell my Revels (stated 86, and 6) go louder, even in a larger room?!?!?! I know some companies OVERstate the sensitivity, and Revel has actually been known to downplay the ratings a bit. I'm using Rotel 995/991 (200 WPC) combo on the Onix, and they were quite composed with the volume at almost 1 o'clock. I've had the amp/pre for about 6 years, believe me, this is almost maxed out... the Onix took abuse in stride. Not with head-banging metal... still.

So what's so good about the Onix? The midrange, if you ask me. VERY resolving. Not too many speakers in this price range can do this. I (erroneously) had it in my head that these were gonna be dark and ultra-mellow ala Sonus Faber. Not so, they are very alive. But, they are revealing without being fatigueing... not always easy to do - especially in the $200 range.

HF is good... nothing outstanding, but not grating either. The soft-dome seems to go out pretty far to me. Not ultra-silky, but no problems. Decay on cymbal shimmer, or a struck piano key is fine... nice spaciousness. You're not gonna fool anyone the instrument in actually in the room, but is satisfying enough. Price is right... (C'Mon Down!)

Oh... I almost forgot (not really)... the finish is beautiful.. I got the white Maple. The cabinet wouldn't be out of place in a $2000/pr speakers. Obviously, knuckle wrap tests, internal bracing, materials, etc. would say otherwise, but ALL of these VERY good in the pricing tier. I believe the x-ls use 3/4 inch MDF. Terminal cup is a bit tight, sux.

Verdict? I'm thinking the Onix x-ls, DEFINITELY the matching sub (which is also beautifully finished), possibly a Cambridge 50/watt integrated (whatever), an entry-level CDP and maybe a NAD/Pro-Ject TT... what a satisfying, easy-to-get-into rig you would have... WAY under $1500.

Jimmy has a few bills to pay, then he's gonna order the sub.
Nice,If you look on the av123 forum there is a mention of the tweeters were out of spec 1 to 1.75 dbs.Call them and they will replace the tweeters at no charge..While I have not had a chance to listen to a pair, IMO they should be the bang for the buck leader considreing the Fine drivers,Build quailty,and xover design by Danny.

Jimmy C
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Nice,If you look on the av123 forum there is a mention of the tweeters were out of spec 1 to 1.75 dbs.Call them and they will replace the tweeters at no charge..While I have not had a chance to listen to a pair, IMO they should be the bang for the buck leader considreing the Fine drivers,Build quailty,and xover design by Danny.

...O.K., I'll check that out. I can't say I hear any deviation between speakers, but who knows. Maybe I'm not getting the intended tonal balance?

Yeah, they are a very good bang-for-the-buck. I couldn't possibly respond to all the perspective Titan (for eg.) buyers, but these are clearly better in most/all regards.

I was just thinking about dragging these down to a local audio salon for a head-to-head with the Monitor series - I'll bet Steve (owner) would be impressed!

Thanx for the info!