metheny/mehldau [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : metheny/mehldau

BarryL
10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I've been spinning this new Metheny album for about a two weeks now, and I hate to say that it's a rather uninspiring affair for the most part. There are a few really good tracks, those where he plays guitar synthsizer and include drums, but most of the guitar/piano tracks are throw-away. IMO, this is the weakest thing he's done in about ten years. Maybe that's why it was released with almost no fanfare and promotion.

The good news is that the This Way Up DVD comes out at the end of the month.

Woochifer
10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been spinning this new Metheny album for about a two weeks now, and I hate to say that it's a rather uninspiring affair for the most part. There are a few really good tracks, those where he plays guitar synthsizer and include drums, but most of the guitar/piano tracks are throw-away. IMO, this is the weakest thing he's done in about ten years. Maybe that's why it was released with almost no fanfare and promotion.

The good news is that the This Way Up DVD comes out at the end of the month.

It seems that most of Metheny's solo stuff doesn't go out with much fanfare. I was thinking about getting either this disc or the album that Metheny did with John Scofield. I guess now I know which one I'll get first!

Sometimes though his solo ventures take time to grow on me. I recall not caring much for Song X when it first came out. But, after getting more into other artists that indulge in free jazz and hearing Metheny incorporate those elements into some of his PMG performances, I've grown to really appreciate that album. The 20th anniversary extended edition that came out last year demonstrated how much ahead of the curve Metheny was by releasing it right in the middle of his greatest commercial success.

At least in the U.S., The Way Up Live DVD came out almost two weeks ago with simultaneous releases in the HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats. I guess the release dates are different in Canada. Aside from wanting more, you won't be disappointed. My full impressions of the DVD are posted in a previous thread.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=19060