I Think I'm Back (so what) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'm Back (so what)

BarryL
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Nope, not a new song.

For some reason I can't access this site using Apple's Safari software.

Someone suggested I try Netscape. So I am.

And here I am.

I wonder if I missed anything while I was gone?

What's the word on the new PT DVD?

3-LockBox
10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Don't worry...it doesn't take that long to catch up.

Hear Pure Reason Revolution yet?

BarryL
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Don't worry...it doesn't take that long to catch up.

You'll have to help me out. I've been in the dark for about six months now. What or who is Pure Reason Revolution?

3-LockBox
10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
You'll have to help me out. I've been in the dark for about six months now. What or who is Pure Reason Revolution?

It's a be-otchin new prog(ish) band, more symphonic rock than prog really, but that is not to say they're a Symphony X or even an Ayreon. They lean more towards the ambient rock of Pink Floyd or even, dare I say, an early...PT. Here's what I said a few weeks ago:

First off, this isn't dark at all...symphonic rock to be sure; Floydish in spirit with its spacey textures, leaning more towards trance/ambient inspired rock than anything gothic or metal. It can be edgy at times and then again, it can be downright luscious, somewhat (but not quite) Porky Tree-ish. The band features a lot of vocal harmonization, with both male and female lead vocals, that sometimes conjure up images of Polyphonic Spree. Imagine the more etherial, offerings from groups like Lacuna Coil, Evanessence, or The Gathering, only with a more symphonic aestetic. Or imagine a harder edged Renaissance, to a degree.

I even hear a tad bit of Revolutionary Army of the Infinite Jesus (without the chanting) though admittedly, I have a limited exposure RAOTIJ.

BarryL
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Alright. I'll have to check them out.

I did pick up the most recent Pendragon CD called Believe. It's nothing revolutionary, but I like it. Other than that, not too much prog happening with me. I haven't even heard the newest Steve Hackett album yet.

3-LockBox
10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Also, if you liked Kino, you may like Frost*

DariusNYC
10-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi Barry. For what it's worth to know, I have never had problems with accessing this website through Safari on my Mac. I'm not sure why it was problematic for you. Maybe I have a different version of Safari? Hmm. Anyhow, welcome back.

BarryL
10-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Yeah. I think my problem started when I installed Norton Anti-Virus for my Mac. But I've turned off both the Anti-Virus and the Firewall, and it hasn't helped. I also have problems with Amazon.com and Expedia, as well as doing my online banking. All my software is up to date, and I'm using 10.3. I may upgrade my OS with the next release, and hopefully that will cure me of having to use multiple browsers.

Anyway, Netscape is working for me, and I'm glad to be back. To quote Eeyore, "Thanks for noticing."

Jim Clark
10-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Wow, Darius and Barry. In the same thread no less. Can the real RR be that far away?

Maybe Troy will show himself and make it a trifecta?

Good to see you both.

jc

PS-Buy Electric President and Wovenhand.

BarryL
10-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Why, thank ya, Jimmy-boy. Old times are new again.

I gots me some catchin' up to do. I've lost all sense of cultural time and space being away from this board. I'm sure there's at least a year's worth of great music that I've missed.

I know I must be in need of new tunes because I've pulled out the Bill Evans CD's recently, and last night was listening to The Moody Blues. There's killer stuff hidden on those first seven albums produced by Tony Clarke.

Jim Clark
10-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Barry, never really got into the whole Moody Blues thing although when I was in middle school it's the kind of thing the teachers were listening to. Maybe you're older than me! Was thinking about you recently when I saw a Frank and Walters show online. Mainly since you're the one who made me aware of them. Think there's a good chance that I'm the only one still listening to them though. Maybe Stone? I thought Glass was awesome and am pretty sure I bought one of the 10 copies the band sold of that album.

Oh, and I see that Troy posted in the comp thread so I guess he's not really missing, my bad. Just haven't visited with the lad for a while I guess. Need to fix that.

Off the get the old knee injected so I can walk for another month!

jc

noddin0ff
10-17-2006, 06:42 AM
On the mac, I recommend using (for a browser) either Camino (more Mac-like) or Firefox (more features available). Both should have fewer issues than Safari. I use firefox.

2 cents

BarryL
10-17-2006, 07:45 AM
On the mac, I recommend using (for a browser) either Camino (more Mac-like) or Firefox (more features available). Both should have fewer issues than Safari. I use firefox.

2 cents

Thanks for the tip. I installed Firefox. Installed easily and quickly, and imported all of my Safari bookmarks, etc. with one click of a button!

And its much faster than Netscape.

Yeah, baby! I'm feeling good about this renewed power of mine. Now I just have to find something to say.

Demetrio
10-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Hey, I loved PRR’s “The Dark Third” too. Great stuff indeed, with reminiscences of P.Floyd and Porcupine Tree (instrumentals & arrangements), and also Yes and The Beach Boys (vocal parts). The vocal harmonies are just wonderful, with a female vocalist (Jamie Willcox) also joining the vocals.

Also enjoying a lot another great band I discovered some time ago, called DREDG. Great mix of progressive rock à la Porcupine Tree / Pineapple Thief with alt / indie rock à la Coldplay / Ours / Radiohead. Best album: “El Cielo”. Second best: “Catch Without Arms”. I didn’t like their first, “Leitmotif” (too metal for my taste, with some hints of The Mars Volta).

And ordered this week:

Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere

My apologies for not posting that much lately. Unfortunately it has been too hard do open this page at my work computer and I’m facing some problems at my home computer too.

Best regards,
Demetrio.

Jim Clark
10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
always good to hear that D is at least one step ahead of the bad guys.

Glad to see you here, as always.

Prog blissness wished for you (against my better judgement),
jc

Demetrio
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey, guys, thanks for the "new" welcomes!! ;-))

Dusty Chalk
10-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Good call on all of those, Demetrio. I, too, like Dredg. Will have to check out Mew.

What's the problem with your home computer? Dialup? Try a different browser, like Opera or Mozilla/Firefox, then turn off a bunch of things, like javascript, java, and plug-ins (on the browser), avatar images and signatures and in-content images (on the forum). That might speed things up a little. And definitely turn off pop-ups.