Epos M12.2 or M15.2? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Epos M12.2 or M15.2?

yesstiles
10-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Which is better?

My music room is 10 feet by 21 feet with an 8 foot ceiling. My speakers will be on the short wall.

Thanks!

PeruvianSkies
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
The answer lies within my friend.

Try them both out and see/hear for yourself. It's impossible to answer your question without actually listening to both speakers and listen to them under the conditions that they will be in your room with your equipment. Moreover it's equally impossible to answer because it's a matter of preference. Are you able to take both home to demo? If not, I would be cautious to buy anything without trying it out first. If you are absolutely not able to demo them first and you are putting caution to the wind and buying a pair anyway then I would go with the ones that have the better specifications for the application that you are using them under. Which by the way...would be helpful to let us know how you are going to use them (music, movies, etc) and what other equipment you will be using as well. Keep us posted!

yesstiles
10-15-2006, 11:55 PM
The answer lies within my friend.

Try them both out and see/hear for yourself. It's impossible to answer your question without actually listening to both speakers and listen to them under the conditions that they will be in your room with your equipment. Moreover it's equally impossible to answer because it's a matter of preference. Are you able to take both home to demo? If not, I would be cautious to buy anything without trying it out first. If you are absolutely not able to demo them first and you are putting caution to the wind and buying a pair anyway then I would go with the ones that have the better specifications for the application that you are using them under. Which by the way...would be helpful to let us know how you are going to use them (music, movies, etc) and what other equipment you will be using as well. Keep us posted!

Thanks! Yes, it is impossible for me to demo them, but I can get a great deal on them new. My other components are a MMF-5SE turntable, a Bellari VP-129 phono amp, a Music Hall A25.2 integrated amp, and a Marantz DV7600 cd player. I will be using the speakers for music only, mostly 70's rock and prog.

PeruvianSkies
10-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Based on that information alone I would go with the M15.2's.

yesstiles
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Based on that information alone I would go with the M15.2's.

What's your reason?

Thanks!

PeruvianSkies
10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, given the size of the room and the fact that you are using them for stereo music application I think it would be better to go with the floorstander out of the two. Since you are not using a sub. This would also alleviate getting speaker stands. You will most likely get more high, mid, and low from this vs. the monitor speaker. I am not an expert on Epos by any means, I am merely answering your question based on looking at the fact sheets on these two and giving my opinion on the matter. You still need to decide based on your ears to make the final verdict though.

PeruvianSkies
10-17-2006, 02:45 PM
BTW....what are you going to use to drive these speakers???

yesstiles
10-18-2006, 02:16 AM
BTW....what are you going to use to drive these speakers???

Music Hall A25.2 Integrated Amp

Thanks!

Mike Lambdin
10-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Music Hall A25.2 Integrated Amp

Thanks!

The advantage to the 15.2 is that it has more bass response, beings it a floor standing unit and is ported.

I have ordered the 25.2 series (amp, tuner & cd player) but am waitng for them to arrive, so I can try them out with various speakers to hear which one sounds best to me.

I had previously corresponded with Roy Hall and he recommended the M12.2 or the M15.2 or ELS303, if I prefered floor standing models. With a room the size you mentioned I would choose the 15.2.

Hope this helps.

PeruvianSkies
10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I second that motion.

yesstiles
10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys!

PeruvianSkies
10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
No problemo...please let us know how things go if you get them!!! keep us posted.

yesstiles
11-02-2006, 10:52 PM
With a room the size you mentioned I would choose the 15.2.

You know, I just found out I can get the M22 speakers for only $300 more, which also includes speaker bases which I think cost an extra $100 for the M15.2.

Do you guys think it is worth my while to go ahead and get the M22? Or do you think these will overpower my room size? I really don't know much at all about speakers. I think the difference is that the M22 has an added Mid speaker above the Bass, whereas the M15.2 just has the Bass.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/epos_products.asp?show=false

Also, is the Music Hall A25.2 sufficient enough to power these? It is 50 watts per channel.

Thanks again for all the help for this audiophone newbie!

yesstiles
11-05-2006, 06:03 PM
anyone?

Mike Lambdin
11-06-2006, 06:54 AM
You know, I just found out I can get the M22 speakers for only $300 more, which also includes speaker bases which I think cost an extra $100 for the M15.2.

Do you guys think it is worth my while to go ahead and get the M22? Or do you think these will overpower my room size? I really don't know much at all about speakers. I think the difference is that the M22 has an added Mid speaker above the Bass, whereas the M15.2 just has the Bass.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/epos_products.asp?show=false

Also, is the Music Hall A25.2 sufficient enough to power these? It is 50 watts per channel.

Thanks again for all the help for this audiophone newbie!

This sounds like a good deal, for the M22 speakers. I, myself, prefer a 3-way speaker and I was able to audition various speakers, using the A25.2 - that's why I decided on the B&W 703 speaker. The sensitivity rating, for the 703, is 90dB and that is why the A25.2 can easily drive it. As for the M22, I think the sensitivity is 87dB so the Music Hall should be able to drive it just fine.
If it is possible to audition the M22, using the A25.2, deffinately do so but remember, my previous recommendations were from Roy Hall, himself. But you decide what sounds best to you. Possibly the reason that Roy recommended the M12.2, M15.2 or ELS 303 was because the M22 would be "overbuying".
As I said, if you can audition a speaker with the amp to be used that's the best way of knowing how your system will sound. (I, personally, wouldn't buy a speaker I had never heard but a number of folks told me that they heard the 25.2 line of equipment via the Epos speakers that Roy recommended and said that the system sounded fantastic.)
My dealer didn't have any of the Epos speakers in stock and I didn't want to purchase a speaker I hadn't heard.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

yesstiles
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Possibly the reason that Roy recommended the M12.2, M15.2 or ELS 303 was because the M22 would be "overbuying".

Yeah, I was wondering that. But now I'm in trouble, because my Music Hall Rep said that If I want the M22 rather than the M15.2, then the Creek Classic integrated amp is highly recommended and literally blows away the A25.2, which costs a great deal less. $$$$$ may be flying out of my wallet.

Mike Lambdin
11-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I was wondering that. But now I'm in trouble, because my Music Hall Rep said that If I want the M22 rather than the M15.2, then the Creek Classic integrated amp is highly recommended and literally blows away the A25.2, which costs a great deal less. $$$$$ may be flying out of my wallet.

Do we go to the same store? The owner of my local audiophile shop stated the same thing...regarding the Classic. My first step in buying a new system was to audition speakers. I listened to a variety of speakers via an NAD M3 (one of their new hi-end integrated amps). The B&W 703 was my choice. Beings the dealer didn't have an A25.2 in stock I listened to several speakers, again, driven by a Rotel RA-1062, beings it's comparable to the Music Hall. Yes the 703s did sound better being driven by the NAD but it cost 3 or 4 times as much. The 703s are still my choice of speaker but I'm waiting for the 25.2 amp and cd player to arrive in order to listen to them. Lucky for me, my dealer will give me 30 days to exchange for another amp, should I choose. Decision, decisions.

yesstiles
11-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Do we go to the same store? The owner of my local audiophile shop stated the same thing...regarding the Classic.

LOL. Actually, I was referring to the actual Music Hall Sales Rep who I talked with online.

Mike Lambdin
11-09-2006, 04:39 AM
LOL. Actually, I was referring to the actual Music Hall Sales Rep who I talked with online.

In my previous e-mail exchanges with Mr. Hall I had asked about the M22 and it was his recommendation that, for the M22, I get either the Maven reciever (100 watts), the Mambo class A integrated amp or the Creek 5350. I decided on the A25.2 because it had all the features I wanted (as did the Creek). Once the gear arrives and I demo various speakers I'll decide then whether or not to stay with the 25.2 or exchange it for the Creek.

What I admired about Mr. Hall, and convinced me to purchase his products, was his honesty. He didn't try to persuade me to buy something I didn't need, rather he made recommendations that would best suit my ear. Great guy!

yesstiles
11-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Once the gear arrives and I demo various speakers I'll decide then whether or not to stay with the 25.2 or exchange it for the Creek.

I'll be interested to hear your evaluation.

The A25.2 costs about 2 1/2 times as much as the Creek, right?

Mike Lambdin
11-10-2006, 04:27 AM

No doubt the Creek will sound better (it's the Creek that cost 21/2 Xs as much as the A25.2). While checking out the speakers I did demo various amps in the price ranges of the Creek and Music Hall. Of course, the higher priced amps did sound better but with the right speakers we got fantastic sound out of amps in the $600-700 range. This should be no surprise considering we're using "audiophile grade" equipment.

I recently read a review of the Rotel RCD-1072 cd player and RA-1062 amp driving B&W 703 speakers. Luckily I was able to listen to that vary same set-up and just as the reviewer said, it sounded great. Even though the 1062 is a 60 watt amp it is a high current one. If the A25.2 sounds as good my search will be over.

Mike Lambdin
11-17-2006, 04:46 AM

The 25.2 pieces arrived and the dealer let me audition the speakers he had there at the shop. I listened to Quads, Def Techs and B&Ws and decided on the B&W 704. The 25.2 amp easily drove the 704 amd the 704 reproduced the full range that the 25.2 put out. Now I'm just waiting for the speakers to arrive.

I never did listen to the Creek...it would have been more than I needed.