The Departed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Departed

ForeverAutumn
10-15-2006, 09:48 AM
We went to see The Departed last night. With an all-star cast and Martin Scorsese directing, I expected a lot from this movie and I wasn't disappointed. The acting was great all-around. But I have to say that the stand out, for me, was Mark Wahlberg who I barely recognized.

The story is a great premise with a mafia plant in the police force and an undercover cop in the mafia. Eventually, each group finds out about the rat among their midst but don't know who the rat is. It's a race for each group to find their enemy first.

Upon leaving the theatre we each gave the movie about an 8 out of 10 rating. However, after discussing the film over dinner, we downgraded it to a 7. There were a couple of loose ties after the ending that didn't make sense to us. There were a couple of things that seemed important during the movie but really didn't play out right in the end. It's like they edited out part of the story. Which I'm sure happens a lot when scenes are deleted in the final editing process. We also thought that the order of events leading up to the ending could have been different to make it that much more powerful and believable. Again, we blame the editing process for that.

Overall, I recommend this movie to all who like a good crime story and don't mind a lot of violence. The film entertains for it's full 150 minutes.

anamorphic96
10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
We went to see The Departed last night. With an all-star cast and Martin Scorsese directing, I expected a lot from this movie and I wasn't disappointed. The acting was great all-around. But I have to say that the stand out, for me, was Mark Wahlberg who I barely recognized.

The story is a great premise with a mafia plant in the police force and an undercover cop in the mafia. Eventually, each group finds out about the rat among their midst but don't know who the rat is. It's a race for each group to find their enemy first.

Upon leaving the theatre we each gave the movie about an 8 out of 10 rating. However, after discussing the film over dinner, we downgraded it to a 7. There were a couple of loose ties after the ending that didn't make sense to us. There were a couple of things that seemed important during the movie but really didn't play out right in the end. It's like they edited out part of the story. Which I'm sure happens a lot when scenes are deleted in the final editing process. We also thought that the order of events leading up to the ending could have been different to make it that much more powerful and believable. Again, we blame the editing process for that.

Overall, I recommend this movie to all who like a good crime story and don't mind a lot of violence. The film entertains for it's full 150 minutes.

The Departed is based upon this movie.http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/infernal_affairs/
Which in some ways I like better. Scorsese did change the ending.