Bypassing the Receiver...Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing the Receiver...Help!

rkarkada
11-19-2003, 05:57 AM
I am in the process of setting up a home theater in my room. I
want to run component cables with my DVD; however, my receiver does not have any jacks for component cables, only S-video.

Is it possible for me to run the component video cable from my DVD directly to my TV, without going through the receiver. I have optical & coaixal outs on my DVD, so I can use one of them, to connect sound to my receiver.

Question 1:
Can I send only the audio signal from the DVD to my receiver, and send the video signal from the DVD directly to my TV, without going through the receiver?

Question 2:
Given the choice between coaixal and optical cables, which should I use to connect audio signals to my receiver? I

've heard that both are the same and have the same quality, but I"m not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help in answering my questions...Richard

F1
11-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Q1: Yes, you can. This is how I connect my HT.
Q2: I pick coaxial. Optical cable seems to be more flimsy.

Jim Clark
11-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Question 1-most assuredly. The only drawback is not being able to take advantage of your receivers video switching function. In order to do that with your receiver I guess you'd need to use s-vid connections, which you would prefer not to do. If an extra step of switching video inputs on the tv doesn't bother you it will work out just fine. There are some who maintain this is the best possible approach to get the best video anyway.

Question 2-I'd use the least expensive connection possible. You are correct that there is no inherent benefit of one over the other.

jc

rkarkada
11-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!..Richard