Speaker Setting without a Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Setting without a Sub

darth2222
10-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I have read many times to set your speakers to small and x over to 80 if you have a sub. Unfortunatly i dont have a sub yet. I have my Studio 20V4's set to small and x over at 80 with the bass set to front is this the correct setup. I didnt know what to set the bass for it said sub yes or no so i put no and put bass out front. I assumed that meant the bass is supposed to come from the Front Mains or am i incorrect. Please advise

kexodusc
10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, if you don't have a sub, set all the speakers to large (unless they're tiny satellites). Studio 20's are fine - set'em to large, bass out to "front" and Sub to "no" That routes all the LFE to the front mains and any directional bass to the proper speaker.

Setting the speakers to small imposes a crossover filter at the frequency you select (80 Hz). I don't know how the receiver handles "small" speakers with no sub, but it might keep the crossover in effect to protect the speaker. I've never tried that combo, I would think it wouldn't be allowed - you either have a sub, or you have to select large speakers. It probably changes from receiver to receiver.

Wireworm5
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
For your situation I would set the speakers to large and the bass to mains. The 20's aren't that big and will sound a whole lot better when set to large. If however you find you have too much bass after setting them to large them put them back to small. This is one way of controlling the amount of bass in your room especially if you have several speakers. Another reason for setting speakers to small is that it requires more power on your amp to generate the bass. This can cause clipping at high spl levels if your receiver isn't powerful enough. But the 20's being a bookshelf speaker it shouldn't be a problem for you, so set them to large.

darth2222
10-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks i will change it when i get home tonight