Iraq and the Movies... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Iraq and the Movies...

Worf101
10-13-2006, 04:03 AM
It took less than 5 years post 9/11 for commercial films to start being made about the incident. I began to wonder, how long before films about the current war start getting made. Other than John Wayne's dismal ode to the Green Berets, I doubt if any other Hollywood films were made during the actual Viet Nam Conflict. Once it was over it didn't take long. Knowing how bereft Hollywood is of original ideas... how long before we see a Bagdhad version of "Platoon"?

Just curious.

Da Worfster

Kam
10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
It took less than 5 years post 9/11 for commercial films to start being made about the incident. I began to wonder, how long before films about the current war start getting made. Other than John Wayne's dismal ode to the Green Berets, I doubt if any other Hollywood films were made during the actual Viet Nam Conflict. Once it was over it didn't take long. Knowing how bereft Hollywood is of original ideas... how long before we see a Bagdhad version of "Platoon"?

Just curious.

Da Worfster

i didnt see it yet, but there was Jarhead. and then the documentary told from the pov of the actual soldiers there with videocams they took with them.. i forgot the name, trying to look it up.

kexodusc
10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Jarhead was a great nod to Full Metal Jacket - and 3 Kings was another Iraq war movie - kind of - but I think those were Desert Storm rather than Operation Iraqi Freedom or whatever.

Hmm, I dunno how I feel about Iraq movies - Hollywood seems to have such an anti-Republican, anti-Bush policy that those movies might just be too much over the top for a lot of studios to want to invest in. Movies that glorify heroes sell, movies that divide the country on controversial issues aren't so quickly undertaken by studios - They'd probably be big hits at the box-office for the same reasons though. I think there might be some sensitivity to making movies while the war is still going on.

I've noticed a trend in recent years though, instead of Nazis and Commies being the bad guys, it's terrorists playing the villans in movies these days - maybe there's already some Iraq movies in the pipeline.

PeruvianSkies
10-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, keep in mind that MASH was a Vietnam movie, but it was disguised like it was referring to Korea.

SlumpBuster
10-14-2006, 04:45 AM
I would cite to a criminally unwatched and unrecognized show on FX called "Over There." If you blinked you might have missed it. It was cancelled in the first season and was one of the best shows ever on television. If followed the story of a group of soldiers in present day Iraq.

Worf101
10-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I would cite to a criminally unwatched and unrecognized show on FX called "Over There." If you blinked you might have missed it. It was cancelled in the first season and was one of the best shows ever on television. If followed the story of a group of soldiers in present day Iraq.

Kinda hard to watch a T.V. show about history, while the history or story is still being made. Too painful to hear about the deaths in real time much less to watch dramatizations about it. Too much, too soon.

Da Worfster