back in the saddle.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : back in the saddle....

pkats
10-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone, been checking out the site after deciding I need to upgrade my system -lots of good info! Was pretty serious years ago about putting together some good sound then got off track. I have an ADCOM GFA-555 II amp which I would like to keep as a foundation. From what I have seen here and elsewhere it's still a pretty good piece of equipment. But my ADCOM GTP-500 II preamp lost it's tuner and my Infinity Reference Six speakers are falling apart (haven't been happy with them for years anyway!). I know it's a pretty broad request but just looking for suggestions on compatible preamps and speakers for the GFA-555 II, been out of the audio loop for years. Just starting the research and plan to do alot of listening in the near future. The speakers need to be pretty versatile as I listen to anything from Bach to Ellington to Iron Maiden and like to turn it way up when the wife isn't home. Like to run an occasional DVD through the system as well. I am definitely not an audiophile or high-tech guy, just like to hear good music reproduced as cleanly as possible. I figure my budget to be around 2000 US$ altogether.
I promise not to be a pain in the ass or take my keyboard and go home if I don't like the replies! Just need some up-to-date info and a place to start.

Thanks much.
....I don't think it's my ears, it must be the equipment.

Feanor
10-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone, been checking out the site after deciding I need to upgrade my system -lots of good info! Was pretty serious years ago about putting together some good sound then got off track. I have an ADCOM GFA-555 II amp which I would like to keep as a foundation. From what I have seen here and elsewhere it's still a pretty good piece of equipment. But my ADCOM GTP-500 II preamp lost it's tuner and my Infinity Reference Six speakers are falling apart (haven't been happy with them for years anyway!). I know it's a pretty broad request but just looking for suggestions on compatible preamps and speakers for the GFA-555 II, been out of the audio loop for years. Just starting the research and plan to do alot of listening in the near future. The speakers need to be pretty versatile as I listen to anything from Bach to Ellington to Iron Maiden and like to turn it way up when the wife isn't home. Like to run an occasional DVD through the system as well. I am definitely not an audiophile or high-tech guy, just like to hear good music reproduced as cleanly as possible. I figure my budget to be around 2000 US$ altogether.

I've owned the Adcom GFA-555 II and it is an agreeable sounding amp with plenty of power. I assume you are wantig a stereo, (2 channel), system rather than multi-channel HT system.

There are so many good choices out there. If I follow your train of thought, I think you could do a lot worse than the latest Adcom preamp/tuner, the GPT-602, US$899 ...
http://www.adcom.com/prod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=2&cid=13&prodid=1259&sid=3

I'm a big Magnepan fan but since you listen to some rock, etc., you might find dynamic speakers a better choice. One recommendation from TAS, (The Absolute Sound), and Stereophile is the Revel Concerta F 12, US$1199 ...
http://www.revelspeakers.com/products/product-overview.asp?ID=19

But there are many, many other possibilities, and these are greatly expanded if you're willing to consider used equipment.

topspeed
10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Start by perusing this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906) for info about all our favorite Bang-for-the-Buck speakers under $2K. There are some very good suggestions ranging from transmission line speakers to planars.

Hope this helps.

pkats
10-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks, definitely will do alot of perusing and listening. And yes, I was thinking of sticking with 2 channels but who knows. As I said I'm just gettin started. Thanks for the replies. I will check back occasionally if anybody has any other suggestions.

bobsticks
10-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the forum. A couple of quick questions are in order that will help with suggestions. As asked, are you intending to go two channel stereo or multi-channel? What are the dimensions of your room?

pkats
10-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome bobsticks, ok lets just stick with 2 channel stereo, I'm not really a home theater guy. The room is 12Wx20L with 9ft ceilings. The speakers are at one end of the length of the room.

topspeed
10-13-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't think anybody mentioned Quad 22L's on the thread I linked, but definitely put them on your audition list.