fix a scratch on my B&W HTM center channel speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : fix a scratch on my B&W HTM center channel speaker

spyddie
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I recently purchase a used B&W matrix HTM center Channel speaker, the speaker sound excellent but it came with a dent/scratch on upper left hand coner of the speaker, the size is only 1/4 of inch in diameter and it pretty mucy too the top layer of woodskin. Does anyone know how can this be fixed? using a wood filler then paint it? is this a good idea? Thanks in advance

george

RoyY51
10-12-2006, 12:37 PM
If it truly is just a scratch, you can buy a stain pen in the closest color and apply it to the scratch. However, if there is enough material missing from the veneer to create a noticable void, you can either use colored wood filler or use a generic beige wood filler and stain it with the stain pen after it dries. Although neither solution is perfect, it should help disguise the scratch closely enough for a casual inspection.

Minwax makes both the pens and the fillers, and both can be found in Home Depot's paint dept.

Good Luck!

RoyY51
10-13-2006, 04:40 AM
Just remembered...Home Depot is now carrying Varathane brand stains in addition to Minwax. They've got a wider variety of colors and also come in "sampler" packets for .49. One of these and a Q-Tip would work as well as the stain pen, and you save 2.50 (every little bit helps!).

GMichael
10-13-2006, 05:45 AM
Great advice already. I have nothing to add other than, welcome to AR.

bobsticks
10-13-2006, 06:05 AM
...Roy has got you on the right track, so welcome to AR.

...and watch out for GMichael as he is everything they say and worse...

Cheers

spyddie
10-13-2006, 05:18 PM
thanks everyone for the advice. I filled the chip with woodfiller the darkest color I can find(dark brown) after it dried I carefully sand it so it is smooth, I first stain with a black marker waited till it dry then stain it with stain pen, it's not perfect but unless you are few inches away it's hardly noticable....Thanks.