Isis - In the Absense of Truth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Isis - In the Absense of Truth

Duds
10-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Just got a copy of this today, onyl 3 songs into it and all I can say is that it sounds amazing so far. Vocals are not as "cookie monster" (as some of you call it) as on previous records. These guys are just an incredible band. i cant believe i missed them on tour with Tool.

3-LockBox
10-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Just got a copy of this today, onyl 3 songs into it and all I can say is that it sounds amazing so far. Vocals are not as "cookie monster" (as some of you call it) as on previous records. These guys are just an incredible band. i cant believe i missed them on tour with Tool.

I heard these guys before; an older album with an aerial photo on the cover. A dude let me borrow his cuz he heard me playing Opeth's Ghost Reveries. Musically speaking they are of the same vien as Opeth, though I thought they lacked the over all grasp of album presentation and atmosphere. They can play, they just need a tad better vision or direction (so did Opeth, and they got it with Steve Wilson).

I did pass on it cuz I'm not crazy 'bout growling vocals and more than I am cookie monster vox. I'll keep a look out for this new one just incase it crosses my path again.

Duds
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I believe you listened to "Panopticon" which is one of my favorite albums of theirs. I love the depressing feeling of the music.

I heard these guys before; an older album with an aerial photo on the cover. A dude let me borrow his cuz he heard me playing Opeth's Ghost Reveries. Musically speaking they are of the same vien as Opeth, though I thought they lacked the over all grasp of album presentation and atmosphere. They can play, they just need a tad better vision or direction (so did Opeth, and they got it with Steve Wilson).

I did pass on it cuz I'm not crazy 'bout growling vocals and more than I am cookie monster vox. I'll keep a look out for this new one just incase it crosses my path again.

3-LockBox
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I love the depressing feeling of the music.

Well I wasn't going to go there, but since you did...

I would use the word, "moribund" as far as theme goes.

I'm not a fan of depressing music. Since I get the mail every day, I don't need music to take me there.

Duds
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
yup, that is certainly a good word to describe it!!!

Well I wasn't going to go there, but since you did...

I would use the word, "moribund" as far as theme goes.

I'm not a fan of depressing music. Since I get the mail every day, I don't need music to take me there.

Stone
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I'll probably take a pass on this one. Their stuff is just not rockin' enough for me. It's very long and proggy at times, and I tend to get bored with it. I've never thought of them as having cookie monster vocals, though.

Duds
10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Well maybe "cookie monster" was a little harsh, but there are certain points where the vocals are very, not sure how else to describe it, growly? Rough?

I'll probably take a pass on this one. Their stuff is just not rockin' enough for me. It's very long and proggy at times, and I tend to get bored with it. I've never thought of them as having cookie monster vocals, though.

3-LockBox
10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey Slosh,

How 'bout them BIG BLUE anyway...

Duds
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
wait a minute, some Wolverine fans here? huge fan myself

Hey Slosh,

How 'bout them BIG BLUE anyway...

3-LockBox
10-12-2006, 02:22 PM
wait a minute, some Wolverine fans here? huge fan myself

Do you have the new Wolverine?

Stone
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
You guys talkin' to me? I'm Stone, from Michigan, but not originally from Michigan, so I don't have an allegiance to any Michigan teams. Having said that, I do think that Michigan has a helluva team this year, and I have been to a game in the big house, which is quite an event.

Mr Peabody
10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
I've been tempted to try Isis but have stayed on the fence. I can't make up my mind by samples, the songs all sound about the same, nothing inspired me enough to jump. Long and Proggy would not be a bad thing in my book. Maybe I will check this one out. I like Prog and I've become a big fan of bands like Nightwish, Tristania and to a lesser extent Epica, do you think I might like Isis. If so, which album should I absorb first? The only Opeth I have is Damnation. I also have Tool, Disturbed, Stone Sour, Iron Maiden, Priest and a good representation of 80's Metal bands.

Duds
10-13-2006, 04:06 AM
Not yet...

Do you have the new Wolverine?

Duds
10-13-2006, 04:10 AM
I am praying that not having Manningham this weekend doesnt hurt them against Penn State. Maybe Breaston will finally step up, if not Arrington can.

My question is, how in the hell can Notre Lame beat a winless Stanford team last week and move into the top 10? They havent beaten ANYONE this year, and got spanked at home by Big Blue. They are so overrated, and Brady Quinn is too. Just shows the favoritism toward them.

You guys talkin' to me? I'm Stone, from Michigan, but not originally from Michigan, so I don't have an allegiance to any Michigan teams. Having said that, I do think that Michigan has a helluva team this year, and I have been to a game in the big house, which is quite an event.

3-LockBox
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
I am praying that not having Manningham this weekend doesnt hurt them against Penn State. Maybe Breaston will finally step up, if not Arrington can.

My question is, how in the hell can Notre Lame beat a winless Stanford team last week and move into the top 10? They havent beaten ANYONE this year, and got spanked at home by Big Blue. They are so overrated, and Brady Quinn is too. Just shows the favoritism toward them.

I think Maze N' Blue might be in for a dog fight Saturday against Penn State. This is what's called a 'trap game'.

I was actually born in E. Lansing, so I pull for both Michigan teams. I was raised in Tennessee, so even though I root for the Spartans and the Wolverines, my allegiance is with the VOLUNTEERS. Too bad Tennessee plays in the treacherous SEC.

And yes, all Notre Dame has to do is suit-up to start their football season in the Top-10. Yes they do play a tough schedule, but so does a lot of teams. Notre Dame shouldn't be in the Top-10 though, maybe 14th or 15th...maybe. But you have to admit though, ya can't think of a year Michigan didn't start the season ranked at least in the Top-10, or at worst, top 15, regardless of their previous year's finish.

This is a very good year for college football. I'm not too wrapped up in who gets to play for a national title anymore as its all a sham. Hell, the big bowl games aren't even played on New Year's Day anymore, and that's ruined it for me and bowl games.

Big Blue's gotta play the *OSU in Columbus this year...we'll see :nonod:

(*woody is still a pecker)

Duds
10-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Who has Notre Dame played this year other than Michigan? Georgia Tech? please. Michigan state? please. stanford - winless. Navy? please.

Why dont they join a conference and have the added pressure of a conference game almost every weekend? They would get stomped in the Big 10.

Can you tell how much i hate Notre Lame?!

I think Maze N' Blue might be in for a dog fight Saturday against Penn State. This is what's called a 'trap game'.

I was actually born in E. Lansing, so I pull for both Michigan teams. I was raised in Tennessee, so even though I root for the Spartans and the Wolverines, my allegiance is with the VOLUNTEERS. Too bad Tennessee plays in the treacherous SEC.

And yes, all Notre Dame has to do is suit-up to start their football season in the Top-10. Yes they do play a tough schedule, but so does a lot of teams. Notre Dame shouldn't be in the Top-10 though, maybe 14th or 15th...maybe. But you have to admit though, ya can't think of a year Michigan didn't start the season ranked at least in the Top-10, or at worst, top 15, regardless of their previous year's finish.

This is a very good year for college football. I'm not too wrapped up in who gets to play for a national title anymore as its all a sham. Hell, the big bowl games aren't even played on New Year's Day anymore, and that's ruined it for me and bowl games.

Big Blue's gotta play the *OSU in Columbus this year...we'll see :nonod:

(*woody is still a pecker)