a question about studio monitor? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a question about studio monitor?

peter_wang
10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
helleo everbody! in my opinion,a studio monitor holds higher vaulue rating than a home loudsperker in the same price.how do you think of this?:)

Florian
10-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Good speakers, legends, and rare items hold and raise their price. Commercial junk with production numbers in the thousands dont. True for home and studio

markw
10-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Good speakers, legends, and rare items hold and raise their price. Commercial junk with production numbers in the thousands dont. True for home and studio...I must. Well said, Flo, and I agree with every word.

peter_wang
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Worf101
10-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Crappy monitors won't hold their value any longer than crappy speakers will. Just taking a bookshelf speaker and slapping the name "monitor" on it doesn't make it one. Studio monitors were invented as a tool to help audio engineers mix and record sound. They might be a tad to "revealing" for the average homeowner to use...

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
10-13-2006, 12:31 PM
how do you think of this?Too much of a generalization. There are good values in monitors just as there are good values in speakers. Admittedly, I have a pair of active monitors sitting here on my desk that I got at a fraction of the price of a comparable system -- and that includes amp (bi-amp, actually, tuned specifically to the speakers), and preamp (well, sort of -- they have volume knobs, but no source selection capability). So all I needed to do was attach a source, and I was done -- so these were definitely a good value, and I don't think I could have done comparably with a speaker and integrated amp setup.

N. Abstentia
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
helleo everbody! in my opinion,a studio monitor holds higher vaulue rating than a home loudsperker in the same price.how do you think of this?:)

I think it's a bunch of crap.

KRiTiKaL
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_wang
helleo everbody! in my opinion,a studio monitor holds higher vaulue rating than a home loudsperker in the same price.how do you think of this?

From my experience, studio monitors are meant to be a very flat and neutral output for instrument playback. While home speakers depending on your use have to be more dynamic or broad spectrum(movies, music, TV, etc.). Is that right? :confused5:

PeruvianSkies
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
ok, quick question...

Are we talking about how well a product holds up over time in terms of it's quality or it's value as in price? Personally, who cares what a speaker is worth in time...if it is good and sounds good...then it's practically priceless to it's owner. I also understand where Florian is coming from as well, which is the rare breed items that are manufactured in small numbers and are only able to be found in limited supplies, they are sought after by audiophiles and collectors and hold a value for their rarity and abilites to perform.