CD or DVD player vibration control [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD or DVD player vibration control

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I just thought that I would post a recent discovery that I made for a easy and inexpensive DIY for controlling the vibration of CD players or DVD players.

You know how you can go to just about any store and buy a halogen lamp? You know the ones that are tall with the upwards pointing light and sometimes they have a smaller lamp coming off the pole?

Well, if you either have one you are getting rid of, or you want to go buy one, the base of those lamps make for a great vibration control device. It's super heavy, usually black, circular, and is fairly inexpensive. Most lamps run about $20-$30, so that's pretty cheap in my opinion.

jrhymeammo
10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
"You know the ones that are tall with the upwards pointing light and sometimes they have a smaller lamp coming off the pole?"

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing, but this came to my mind
The metal threaded base of light bulbs would work too(wide base with pointed tips). You would have to stuff inside with silly puddy I would think. Would only suggest for light digital players. Not for TTs since you cant really adjust heights to level your deck.

PeruvianSkies
10-13-2006, 10:24 PM
What I am referring to are just about any type of halogen bulb lamp that is usually about 5ft or taller that is typically used in living rooms. I have seen them at just about any store that carries lamps and you can easily find one pretty cheap. The one that I am using had an aluminum pole with albuminum base and I detached the heavy bass to use for on top of my Denon 2910. It's just the perfect weight, size, and also has a cushion underneath to keep from scratching the 2910, plus it gives it enough tension to keep it sturdy as welll.

musicman1999
10-14-2006, 01:43 AM
When you put weight on top of your player you also need to isolate your player from the rack,i use three rubber balls cut in half under the player,not under the legs,and i use barbell weights on top with cut up pieces of mouse pad under them..

bill

PeruvianSkies
10-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Good point...I already did that with mine, but maybe some people didn't think of that.

jrhymeammo
10-14-2006, 05:54 PM
i use three rubber balls cut in half under the player,not under the legs,and i use barbell weights on top with cut up pieces of mouse pad under them..

bill

Like to share my experience.
Just a personal preference I guess, but I prefer not to use anything soft/bouncy between gears and base/shelf. I find them to be nothing more than vibration trapper. I've also tried mouse pads. it was a nightmare. My tonearm was having a hard time tracking. I would rather use wooden button. I use 3 pieces of wooden button between each sheet of concret slabs I have under my TT. Three is probably the easiest and most effective way to minimize vibration. Seems like most of equipments are back'rear heavy so place 2 there and 1 in front. I used to use 4 adjustable brass cones under my TT, but there was always 1 cones that was wobbly. Softer materials made that much easier, but like I stated above, it just didnt work at all. I have 3 circular bricks made of sorbothen. I havent experienced the hype of that material yet. I need to figure out what to do with it.
I used to think hockey pucks were the greatest thing in tweaks until I started using cones. Pucks work for isolation, but it's only slightly better than stock feet.
But sounds like you figured it out how to integrate that into your system so congrats and enjoy.

PeruvianSkies
10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I guess I should clarify what I did....

Underneath my CD player I placed some of that drawer liner that is really slip proof...I think it's a rubbery like material that is typically used in kitchen drawers. Then I took my normal CD player feet and attached caps that are used for chair or table legs that help prevent slipping, which together has really made my CD player sturdy and solid...incredibly well, plus the weight on top has minimized all jitter that I can tell and probably does just as good of a job as some of the overpriced tweak stuff out there.