Calibrating Discs... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Discs...

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I thought it might be fun to list some of the items that we personally use when setting up or calibrating our gear, especially when you get new gear and need some reference material that you are familiar with. Here is what I use...

CD's

One of the first things that I love to test out is the balance of voice, band, bass, and it's good to have something that has a great vocal mix, but with some subtle instrumentation to really help isolate everything. JEWEL: SPIRIT HDCD is the perfect mix for that, especially track 6 "Innocence Maintained", which starts off with strong vocals, but then about :37 there is a huge low end presence that sweeps the low freqency range quite nicely.

Another great disc to really get your hands on is the soundtrack for HEAVEN'S GATE, which is David Mansfield and is available on RYKO disc. The soundtrack is phenomeninal, mostly acoustic-like instruments with a load of simplicity to it that really helps adjust the mid-range and really hear new levels of detail from things like new speakers or CD players.

When it comes to lower end stuff I usually whip out two discs...the first is MADONNA: Greatest Hits, which has the song "Power of Goodbye' and for being a basic CD, wow talk about a great recording!!!! She certainly invests in having a good mastering! The low end presence is staggering along with some really strong vocals coming through the stereo mix. The other disc is the gold HISTORY CD by Michael Jackson with songs like BILLIE JEAN that has a strong beat and also that bassline that enables you to get a quick sense of imaging.

SACD's

I usually only have a few of these that I need to use in order to set things up. The first is probably one of the many Elton John SACD's available, all of which are quite good. I also like to use THE STRANGER by Billy Joel. Classical music is important to use here as well, usually the winner here is the Mobile Fidelity SACD of RAVEL'S BOLERO. Great dynamics and mix.

Heywood Djahblomie
10-10-2006, 10:26 PM
I just wish someone could tell me the best way to get the green ink off my fingers

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Um, ok.

Wireworm5
10-11-2006, 05:46 AM
I use a calabration disc that I got for cheap at a store. Once everything is adjusted I put it away cause the settings aren't going to change unless my receiver quits.
As for reference material I will play stuff like Chili Peppers 'Under the Bridge' to compare how the snare drum sounds. Kitaro 'Cirque Ingenieux' for dynamics and Enio Morricone 'Trio' for highs and smoothness.
I never whip out an sacd for guests as they aren't audiophiles and have no idea what they're hearing. It would just be lost on them, and I know I'd get the typical response 'Turn it Doownn!!
But let me tell you I'm so impressed by sacd 'Up'. Not my first choice in music but the best sacd I have for hearing what this format can do. At 85db to 90 dbs the sound interacts with the room well. Sitting in the sweet spot I become immerse in the music. The music has depth and presence like nothing else I've heard. And is so smooth, and gets better the louder you crank it without any hint of strain.
I need to get more sacds but there's very little selection for my taste. I wish I liked classical, there's tons of sacd's for that.

JoeE SP9
10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
I thought it might be fun to list some of the items that we personally use when setting up or calibrating our gear, especially when you get new gear and need some reference material that you are familiar with. Here is what I use...

CD's

One of the first things that I love to test out is the balance of voice, band, bass, and it's good to have something that has a great vocal mix, but with some subtle instrumentation to really help isolate everything. JEWEL: SPIRIT HDCD is the perfect mix for that, especially track 6 "Innocence Maintained", which starts off with strong vocals, but then about :37 there is a huge low end presence that sweeps the low freqency range quite nicely.

Another great disc to really get your hands on is the soundtrack for HEAVEN'S GATE, which is David Mansfield and is available on RYKO disc. The soundtrack is phenomeninal, mostly acoustic-like instruments with a load of simplicity to it that really helps adjust the mid-range and really hear new levels of detail from things like new speakers or CD players.

When it comes to lower end stuff I usually whip out two discs...the first is MADONNA: Greatest Hits, which has the song "Power of Goodbye' and for being a basic CD, wow talk about a great recording!!!! She certainly invests in having a good mastering! The low end presence is staggering along with some really strong vocals coming through the stereo mix. The other disc is the gold HISTORY CD by Michael Jackson with songs like BILLIE JEAN that has a strong beat and also that bassline that enables you to get a quick sense of imaging.

SACD's

I usually only have a few of these that I need to use in order to set things up. The first is probably one of the many Elton John SACD's available, all of which are quite good. I also like to use THE STRANGER by Billy Joel. Classical music is important to use here as well, usually the winner here is the Mobile Fidelity SACD of RAVEL'S BOLERO. Great dynamics and mix.

Imaging refers to the ability to hear/see a soundstage of people playing in around and behind your speakers. You do not get imaging from multitracked studio recordings. If you want to hear a demonstration of imaging listen to Jacintha: Here's To Ben: Groove Note GRV1001-2. This was recorded live in the studio direct to 2 channels. This recording presents an audible image of real musicians in a large room playing at the same time. I'm only bringing this up because if we are going to use terminology we have to understand what we're saying. The only thing you can get with studio recordings is pan potting from left to right. This is not imaging it is lateral spread.

3-LockBox
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Imaging refers to the ability to hear/see a soundstage of people playing in around and behind your speakers. You do not get imaging from multitracked studio recordings. If you want to hear a demonstration of imaging listen to Jacintha: Here's To Ben: Groove Note GRV1001-2. This was recorded live in the studio direct to 2 channels. This recording presents an audible image of real musicians in a large room playing at the same time. I'm only bringing this up because if we are going to use terminology we have to understand what we're saying. The only thing you can get with studio recordings is pan potting from left to right. This is not imaging it is lateral spread.

Unfortunately, you're right. Oh, I believe some engineers used to have some vision as to imaging and sounstage, but not anymore. Maybe there are a few recordings that are done in studio that give a sense of depth, but that level of art isn't present in anything I've listened to recently, except maybe some classical which is mostly recorded in the manner you described and ironically, a reissue of a 60's release.:17:

But what you're saying is going to be a tough sell because terminology like soundstage and imaging are part and parcell of audiophilia, and are used out of context in almost every review of esoteric equipment I've ever read, i.e. the reviewer of a piece of uber-high-end gear never uses a disclaimer stating what type of recording yields proper soundstaging or imaging. Besides, that reviewer would prolly remind us that audiophile quality recordings are only as good as the $1200.00 CD player or turntable you're playing it on.

JoeE SP9
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, you're right. Oh, I believe some engineers used to have some vision as to imaging and sounstage, but not anymore. Maybe there are a few recordings that are done in studio that give a sense of depth, but that level of art isn't present in anything I've listened to recently, except maybe some classical which is mostly recorded in the manner you described and ironically, a reissue of a 60's release.:17:

But what you're saying is going to be a tough sell because terminology like soundstage and imaging are part and parcell of audiophilia, and are used out of context in almost every review of esoteric equipment I've ever read, i.e. the reviewer of a piece of uber-high-end gear never uses a disclaimer stating what type of recording yields proper soundstaging or imaging. Besides, that reviewer would prolly remind us that audiophile quality recordings are only as good as the $1200.00 CD player or turntable you're playing it on.

I guess I'm just an old fart. A good recording is a good recording. The high cost of some gear can't make a bad one sound good although It can make a good one sound better.
Imaging just can't happen with todays typical multitracked, overdubbed, overproduced recordings. I mentioned the Jacintha because it does exhibit true imaging. If you play it and don't get the impression of musicians playing together in a large room between around and especially behind your speakers there is something VERY wrong with your system.
Anyone who has any questions about what imaging is should at least listen to the Jacintha recording. After hearing it there should be no doubts or mistakes about what imaging really sounds like. Maybe then people wouldn't say things like the bass line in Billie Jean shows imaging (NOT).:mad2: