is anyone listening to music on this Friday Night? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : is anyone listening to music on this Friday Night?

newtrix1
02-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm loading some new software on my PC, in the background Prince's great "The Hits 2" is playing. After that is some Bob Marley and Lenny Kravitz. I guess I'm in a groovy mood. :cool:
Is there music playing where you are?

Davey
02-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey newtrix, don't remember if I had a chance to say welcome to the board yet, but if not, welcome!

I just walked in a few minutes ago and decided to put on One Dove Morning Dove White. Not exactly sure what the inspiration was, but I had mentioned it to someone a few days ago that was looking for some good trip-hop. This was Dot Allison's first band back in the early 90s. Mostly spacey, ambient "chill out" music, but I really think this is the best thing she's ever done. Some really captivating songs, especially the more upbeat ones. They were a short-lived Scottish trio that got a lot of recognition in the UK when the whole trip-hop/dance/dub/ambient/chill-out scene was exploding. More guitars than some of the others, kind of a predecessor to what Death In Vegas did later both with and without the same Dot Allison before her first solo release. But more on the dub side than most of DIV and not as dense. I guess actually it's not really like DIV at all. Probably a little closer to what Madonna morphed into a few years later - always ahead of the curve, ya know :)

Three remixes of White Love is a little too much, but still a very cool album.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/onedove.jpg

newtrix1
02-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Assuming you're winding down (like me) and not winding up for a big night out. Thanks for the welcome.

Swish
02-07-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm loading some new software on my PC, in the background Prince's great "The Hits 2" is playing. After that is some Bob Marley and Lenny Kravitz. I guess I'm in a groovy mood. :cool:
Is there music playing where you are?

Welcome to Rave Recs dude...you are a dude, right? Anyway, I went to see a friend's band play last night at some local dive bar. They're a covers band with some talented musicians, especially the lead guitarist who I've also gotten to know pretty well. It's amazing how much stuff he knows and how he can play just about any style on electric or acoustic. The band sounded pretty good, although they don't exactly play the music that I like. Tit was certainly a fun time and the gang I met there had a blast. I got home around 12:30 and had to get up early this AM for racquetball. I was dragging a bit to say the least!

Regards,

Swish

Slosh
02-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Been out of state all weekend but I'm ending it with Chris Whitley's - Din of Ecstasy. How does that voice come out of that (much abused) body? Rootsy, bluesy goodness :)