Why do HD audio signals sound softer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why do HD audio signals sound softer?

aeh10
10-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Is it just me or do HD audio signals sound 'softer/quiter' than regular broadcasted audio signals (from TV programming). This is has been the case with my current setup and it never really bothered me, but if there is a modification that I can perform to rectify this it would be greatly appreciated. I currently run all components through an AVR 2807. Thanks in advance

Mr Peabody
10-10-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't have an answer but I want to confirm that your observation is correct. I have cable, on my box and on another set with a cable card, the volume of HD channels are quieter than other channels on both. I'd guess near 3dB down.

jrhymeammo
10-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Allow me to get off the topic here

I used to live in a SMALL town in Tennessee, and sound level of BET was soooooooooooooo low. I'm just saying...

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
My only thought (which I also agree that the volume is lower) might have to do with the fact that those channels are in DD 5.1 while the other stations are typically stereo and my receiver transforms that into ProLogic II. Oddly enough I noticed that some stations (like NBC HD) broadcasts in 4.1? There is NO CENTER CHANNEL sound from NBC HD, which is really really odd because the volume does indeed sound much weaker because all the dialogue is coming out in stereo and is just bizarre.