Week 13: 50 Albums That Changed Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 13: 50 Albums That Changed Music

Swish
10-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Without further ado, this week's entry is Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers - 1956

The previous year Sinatra had cut In the Wee Small Hours, a brooding cycle of torch songs that was arguably pop's fist concept album. Once again working with arranger Nelson Riddle, he presented its complement; a set of upbeat paeans to romance. Exhilarating performances of standards like "I've Got You Under My Skin" defined Sinatra's urbane, finger-snapping persona for the rest of his career and pushed the record to number one in the first ever British album chart. Without this, the "singer as song interpreter" wouldn't have been born, karaoke menus would be much diminished.

I have to say that I was never much of a Sinatra fan and just never "got it" I suppose. I would actually prefer to hear Dean Martin or Bobby Darin if I'm going to visit that lounge type of music, although I suppose he may have influenced both of them. What say you?

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
10-09-2006, 05:23 AM
I'd say it's the single finest album that Sinatra ever made, and if there's one thing you should really listen to this week, it's this rec. If you're looking for the one Sinatra rec that sounds the least like it's gonna remind you of something yr parents would've liked, if you know what I mean, this is the one. Definitely transcends 'lounge music,' it's its own thing. Lowering it to the idea that karaoke is among its most important offspring is downright insulting, and it's quite possible that it's more GREAT (good does not suffice) than influential, but music has no business listening to me, you know how it is.

Dusty Chalk
10-09-2006, 06:27 AM
...defined Sinatra's urbane, finger-snapping persona for the rest of his career...You lost me at 'Frank'.

musicoverall
10-09-2006, 06:55 AM
You lost me at 'Frank'.

I made it through "Sinatra". :)

3-LockBox
10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
call me in about 10 years. Don't have anything against Sinatra, but I ain't got no opinion, since I can count on one hand the number of times I've listened to an entire album of music like this.

However, I can say that this album was hugely influencial on several hundred lounge lizards of the last half of the 20th century...unfortunately.

BTW: the "diminished karaoke menus" crack is yet another ridiculous statement layed down by this article's woefully ameturish writer/s.

nobody
10-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I've got a couple copies of this one. Great album. Then again, he's got a ton of great albums. I guess they gave this one the nod for being his first big hit LP. I may have to listen to this tonight.

Troy
10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Yes, "Wee Small Hours" was the first "concept album" (not including shows and soundtracks) and deserves a spot on lists like this for that alone. I find that album relentlessly depressing. Music for drunks.

"Songs for Young Lovers" though? Yeah, it defined later-period Sinatra, but really had very little influence on anything except guys like Bobby Darin and Dean Martin. Arguably, a genre that died with the "Goodfellas" generation. I agree that the karaoke comment only reinforces just how juvenile this article is.

You want important, influential, lounge music? Esquivel.

MindGoneHaywire
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Big difference between Songs For Young Lovers/Swing Easy & Songs For Swingin' Lovers. Songs For Swingin' Lovers had a big influence on a category of music that I remember but I have a feeling the authors of the piece ever heard of--"VOCALS." Not "Lounge," and Esquivel is a million miles from this Sinatra rec.

Troy
10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Esquivel is a million miles from this Sinatra rec.

Must be why I like it.

MindGoneHaywire
10-09-2006, 08:26 PM
You have no...uh...

you have no...uh...

You have the wrong drugs.

bobsticks
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
uumm...I mean, it's the Chairman so I guess some props are appropo but I tend to drift toward MGH's position in post #2, that the album is great more than it is influencial. Not being part of the "Goodfellas" generation, I missed the first go-around so I can not speak to that, but I don't really hear enough of this to throw around massive accolades. Maybe I'm having a moment of myopia...whatever, moving on...

Heywood Djahblomie
10-10-2006, 10:36 PM
However, I can say that this album was hugely influencial on several hundred lounge lizards of the last half of the 20th century...unfortunately.

Look up the word hack

you'll see his picture

this was his peek, and he went down hill from here

this album is why rock-n-roll was invented

PeruvianSkies
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, if nothing else at least Frank Sinatra can say that he was in one of the finest motion pictures ever made...of course I am referring to THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, which sadly has become a bit of a clouded film with the re-make by my favorite director who has obviously lost his mind....Jonathan Demme. He is certainly on a roll with the desecration of classics lately....CHARADE (1963) into THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE, which luckily everyone has forgotten about and then of course THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, which could have single handedly ruined the careers of some A-list actors.

Anyway, back to Sinatra...

He was also in two other films that I certainly enjoyed FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and I can also appreciate his vocal achievments as much as his acting merits. I don't know that I would say that this album falls into the top 50, but then again it's a matter of debating the relevance, importance, etc and if you are figuring in other aspects like technique, talent, etc.

MindGoneHaywire
10-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Look up the word hack

you'll see his picture

this was his peek, and he went down hill from here

this album is why rock-n-roll was invented

http://blueopossum.homestead.com/files/sinatra.elvis.jpg