Can anyone help identify this cartridge? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help identify this cartridge?

Jim Clark
10-07-2006, 06:34 AM
It is on the Dual CS 5000 I just bought and have yet to receive. I'm assuming there's an immediate need to swap it out but just in case I thought someone here might be able to tell me what it is.

I'm a bit perplexed that I'm not working on the thing right now. I paid for Priority shipping on Sunday and the thing didn't get shipped until Friday. The seller and I aren't seeing eye to eye on whether or not this is a problem. Oh well, guess I needed to vent just a bit. I'm over it now.

jc

nobody
10-07-2006, 07:13 AM
I don't know that cartridge, but just would tell ya that it may or may not be decent, but if you don't know the condition of the stylus, I'd suggest replacing it. You may be able to get by just replacing the stylus and using that cartridge if it is something nice, but you could mess up your records if the stylus is shot.

And, I'm on your side with the shipping, if you weren't wanting it in a hurry, you wouldn't have paid extra for Priority Shipping.

Jim Clark
10-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I don't know that cartridge, but just would tell ya that it may or may not be decent, but if you don't know the condition of the stylus, I'd suggest replacing it. You may be able to get by just replacing the stylus and using that cartridge if it is something nice, but you could mess up your records if the stylus is shot.

And, I'm on your side with the shipping, if you weren't wanting it in a hurry, you wouldn't have paid extra for Priority Shipping.

Well, I do have an extra Shure just laying around : ) so I'm not gonna worry too much just yet. Thanks brudda.

jc

Jim Clark
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
A guy at Audiokarma knew what it was.

So the thread isn't left hanging I'll cut and paste his reply:

"It's a Signet MR 5.0e MR=Maximum Resolution. Made by Audio Technica. For a replacement stylus, at this link, any stylus from group K or L should fit:

http://www.stereoneedles.com/audio-technica.html

I have a few similar MR models, but they don't sound that great to me with either the original styli or AT styli. You're going to have to spend money for a decent stylus--I'd just go with a new cart. But at least now you know what you have."

jc