Is it a buyers market on used gear? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it a buyers market on used gear?

Mr Peabody
10-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I've posted my Krell KAV 500i and 280cd on Audiogon at different times and did not receive any real offers. Earlier in the summer I did sell my Arcam 3 channel amp but I priced it good because of some scratches. The CD player received nothing. I got one inquiry on my amp wanting to know if it could be converted to 220v. I also see some very good prices listed on some items.

Any ideas on what is going on? Are people becoming fearful of buying on these sites due to fraud, is it the economy, Krell not appealing, straight redbook CD players out of style? I'm not a computer savy guy, so I am not set up on PayPal, is this a big mark against me? What about pictures? Some have asked if I had pictures which I didn't because of no scanner. But if I was familiar with a piece why would you need a picture? I mean, a picture could be gotten from any where or doctored to hide flaws. It shouldn't be a deal maker or breaker, should it?

If one had the money and need the used market looks ripe with deals to me.

jrhymeammo
10-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I got Rotel 972 on Agon right now. My original asking price was $549obo. I thought it was pretty fair, but I had 2 offers asking me to sell for under $300. I told them it's not go, but they kept reminding me the condition of my remote, which I WROTE.
I even knocked off more than $120 to $429 but they still cant believe the price Im asking for.
I never had a single offer until I posted pictures. I usually never show interst if I cant see the actual pics. Some description are harder for me to believe. They'll say they never opened it, but they have pictures of equipements already setup. Maybe I should've lied about the condition so I can sell it fast for more. But, I just cant do it.
Also, I had to back off of some SACD players I was really close to buying due to unexpected financial obligations.
I'm always looking for some really good deals on Agon. I think everyone's doing the same. I guess some people are looking to save over 75% from otigianl retail price. Seems like if sellers are asking for more than 50% of what they paid, they just cant sell it.

paul_pci
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been frequenting Audiogon a lot recently, tinkering with the idea of either getting a good DAC or a good deal on a pair of speakers for music, and I'd say that lack of pictures does raise a red flag. I don't know if these guys would go so far as to doctor a photo or place a random photo in their ad. From what I've seen, most selllers go out of their way to document flaws. As for paypal, I couldn't give a crap about that either. It may just get worse in the coming months as people deem they need to save for the holidays.

Mr Peabody
10-07-2006, 06:04 AM
I'd like to sell one or both of these pieces since I just bought another C-J power amp and sent them off to be converted to mono but I'll just have to weather the storm if I can't get a reasonable price for my stuff. I'd post it here on the classifieds but last time I tried to sell something here I just got spammed.

If you are looking for a good buy on a DAC search Audiogon for EAD. The 7000 (I forgot the model letters but they only have two) and it sells for less than $400.00. It got great reviews. One mentions it's a little soft for Rock. A guy I know uses one in his recording studio. I haven't actually heard one but I have the matching transport. The T1000 is an awesome transport. I paid under $300.00 for it and it sold for $1,200.00 new. The performance is so good I'm thinking about buying another one just to put back for when this one goes out.

While comparing product prices on Audiogon, I also sawa Krell kav-300cd for $1,200.00 which is a good buy if the unit is in good condition. I think retail it was $3,500.00. The model is older but it is a phenominal player. The 300cd is pretty close to the 280cd in sound.

Feanor
10-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Any ideas on what is going on? Are people becoming fearful of buying on these sites due to fraud, is it the economy, Krell not appealing, straight redbook CD players out of style? I'm not a computer savy guy, so I am not set up on PayPal, is this a big mark against me? What about pictures? Some have asked if I had pictures which I didn't because of no scanner. But if I was familiar with a piece why would you need a picture? I mean, a picture could be gotten from any where or doctored to hide flaws. It shouldn't be a deal maker or breaker, should it?

If one had the money and need the used market looks ripe with deals to me.

There are a few things that are important, it seems to me. I have recently sold several items through Audiogon and Audio Asylum/Classifieds quite promptly.

Don't over price!!! This seems obvious, but a lot of people hope to find that buyer who is frantic to get specific item and is willing to pay top price. You can have very long wait with that strategy!
Describe you item completely and accurately; describe all defects and blemishes. If your stuff has always been in a smoking-free environment, mention that fact.
If you have the remote control, manual, or boxes, mention these items specifically.
List shipping terms and conditions. I recommend you stipulate that the buyer pays shipping, and brokerage, duties, and taxe, if any. Always ship insured with signature required.
Provide excellent photographs!! Photograph blemishes so they are clearly visible. I recommend a low-medium priced digital camera -- one with image stabilization, or use a tripod. Avoid using flash: natural light is better unless your an expert photographer.
Yes, a PayPay account helps and generally ensures a buyer can pay you promptly. It's not a big deal to set one up -- get a Premier account so you can receive larger amounts.Here is example of some good photos I took of an amp I sold recently ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/belCanto/index.html