Hey Ya'll [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ya'll

stuwee20
10-06-2006, 06:57 PM
First post, Hello:cornut: I'm from TX living in soaking wet Tucson AZ, I've been a audio nut since let's say 8yrs old, My grampa had a 1958 Pilot console that is now my dining room system, 4 EL84's great for classical sesions, living room is Marantz 2270 receiver, Teac RtR X-3, Kenwood KX-1060 cass, Pioneer PL1000A tangient track 'table, Panisonic DVD/CD player, DCM KX-12II speakers

And in the music room, Marantz 2270 receiver, preouts to a SAE A202 poweramp, Thorens 125 MKII 'table, SME 3009II arm, Grado silver cart, Martin Logan the Sequel speakers, with a single Celestion DL6II far back and center to get that nice tweeter in the soundstage, and a cheap Toshiba CD,

I mainly listen to LP's, and have about 4,000, have some pretty good knowledge on vintage stuff, duh, with what I'm using!! My roomate is a transmitting engineer for the local TV and Radio staions here and is quite good with the electrics, I'm just an average blue collar guy, NASCAR fan hence my stuwee20 username, if I can help with a Q I'll be happy to!

Lookin' forward to talkin' to Ya'll Craig

tin ear
10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey, Craig; back at ya from Austin.

Glad yer here; I'm just getting back into vinyl after about 15 years out of it. I only have a stack about 2 feet long, but I'm working on that. Stack grew about 3" this month. :)

Your input will be valuable, I'm sure.

I'm a newb here, but -- Welcome.

-Jon

bubslewis
10-06-2006, 07:20 PM
4,000 LP's! Wow, that's a handful for sure. I have about 150.

Could you list your opinion on your top 5 LP's in regard to the quality of the recording?

stuwee20
10-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, Craig; back at ya from Austin.

Glad yer here; I'm just getting back into vinyl after about 15 years out of it. I only have a stack about 2 feet long, but I'm working on that. Stack grew about 3" this month. :)

Your input will be valuable, I'm sure.

I'm a newb here, but -- Welcome.

-Jon
Would like to give you some advise,
Do you want automatic play, or Auto return, or, Manual,
Direct drive or belt,
Old classic or new??

Most new stuff is terrific, a little pricey though,
The cartridge is very important, MM or MC inputs on your pre or amp? by that I mean phono inputs a lot of new gear can't play LP's with out a phono preamp hooked up,
I'd start with a nice midrange Grado, AT, Shure, MM cart after you decide what 'table you want,
And i'm not kidding hear(sorry) If you find a Thorens from the 60's or, early 70's in your price range buy it!! Yes there are Duals, Marantz's,AR's,Pioneer's, that are very nice rigs,

I would buy locally if possible on the vintage stuff, you live in a school haven, should be some cool stuff on craiglist.com or the school papers, etc...
And, when you find your rig, ask how to set it up properly, very important!!
My SME is very sensitive to set up but after 30years it's not so bad to change carts. and get it right.
Let me know if you want more info on Q's I asked ya or, help on anything else

Peace Craig

stuwee20
10-06-2006, 09:53 PM
4,000 LP's! Wow, that's a handful for sure. I have about 150.

Could you list your opinion on your top 5 LP's in regard to the quality of the recording?
Hey bubslewis, I would love to help anyone into LP's, I have some show off stuff to share, anything from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs,
I bought a couple of records at a garage sales and They are good enough to slay ya, i'll hit up with the records, label stuff witch is important!!

Peace Craig:5:

jrhymeammo
10-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi HomeDepot, welcome to AR.
You seem to be very enthusiastic analog lover. I hope to hear your advise when I need them(that;s about once a week).
How do you like your Pioneer PL-1000A? That turner was the first TT I owned, and made my fall in love with records. I thought it was kinda noisy but enjoyed it tremendusly.
How do you like your Silver? I think that cart is overpriced, since lower Prestige models do quite good for even less than half the price. Not a bad cart by any means though. You have nice systems so maybe you can appreciate it more than I did. Maybe had to do with combinations (synergy) of gears and music you listen to. I thought it was great for Rock and other music with Bass. What all the carts have to played with?
thx
-JRA

basite
10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
hey stuwee, welcome to the forums, another analog lover i see, i'm 16 and i also love vinyl records, i hope we can help you with all your questions and that you can help alot of people with your answers,

Greetz,
Basite.

Bernd
10-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Hi Stuwee20 and welcome,

Vinyl is also my choice of listening. There are a few of us on here, all ages, and it's growing. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Peace

Bernd:16:

stuwee20
10-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Would like to give you some advise,
Do you want automatic play, or Auto return, or, Manual,
Direct drive or belt,
Old classic or new??

Most new stuff is terrific, a little pricey though,
The cartridge is very important, MM or MC inputs on your pre or amp? by that I mean phono inputs a lot of new gear can't play LP's with out a phono preamp hooked up,
I'd start with a nice midrange Grado, AT, Shure, MM cart after you decide what 'table you want,
And i'm not kidding hear(sorry) If you find a Thorens from the 60's or, early 70's in your price range buy it!! Yes there are Duals, Marantz's,AR's,Pioneer's, that are very nice rigs,

I would buy locally if possible on the vintage stuff, you live in a school haven, should be some cool stuff on craiglist.com or the school papers, etc...
And, when you find your rig, ask how to set it up properly, very important!!
My SME is very sensitive to set up but after 30years it's not so bad to change carts. and get it right.
Let me know if you want more info on Q's I asked ya or, help on anything else

Peace Craig
Hey, Bubslewis, just got of work awhile a go, here's some of my fav's, Elton John Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy on MCA-2142 (1975), Simon and Garfunkel Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme on Columbia KCS 9363 Stereo (around the late 60's) no year anywhere on it! Scarborough Fair dosn't give Ya goosebumps, or, if you are young, some of your older hippie friends will for sure!! YES Fragile, Atlantic SD 19132 (1972) Blood Sweat and Tears Greatest Hits on Columbia KC 31170 (1972) Rickie Lee Jones self titled Warner Bros. WB BSK 3296 (1979)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace dude, look for these if you enjoy the style of music, let me know your pref's and I sure I have something for you to look for.

Allways hear in AZ

tin ear
10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Stuwee you have a private message.

bubslewis
10-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey, Bubslewis, just got of work awhile a go, here's some of my fav's, Elton John Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy on MCA-2142 (1975), Simon and Garfunkel Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme on Columbia KCS 9363 Stereo (around the late 60's) no year anywhere on it! Scarborough Fair dosn't give Ya goosebumps, or, if you are young, some of your older hippie friends will for sure!! YES Fragile, Atlantic SD 19132 (1972) Blood Sweat and Tears Greatest Hits on Columbia KC 31170 (1972) Rickie Lee Jones self titled Warner Bros. WB BSK 3296 (1979)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace dude, look for these if you enjoy the style of music, let me know your pref's and I sure I have something for you to look for.

Allways hear in AZ

Stuee20, thanks for your opinion. Yes, I'm old enough (unfortunately) to recognize every one on your list. Here's a couple of albums that I like and are also really first-rate recordings:
Paul Simon: That's the name of the album. Great recording, especially "Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard". The album I have is actually a 4 channel "QS" version.
Ozark Mountain Daredevils: Car over the Lake Album. Side II is great.
The Beatles: Abbey Road.
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman.
Gerry Rafferty: The one with "Baker Street" on it.

Have also noticed that every album I have (about 5 or so) with an A&M label seems to be better than average recording-wise.

Keep 'em spinnin'

stuwee20
10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Stuee20, thanks for your opinion. Yes, I'm old enough (unfortunately) to recognize every one on your list. Here's a couple of albums that I like and are also really first-rate recordings:
Paul Simon: That's the name of the album. Great recording, especially "Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard". The album I have is actually a 4 channel "QS" version.
Ozark Mountain Daredevils: Car over the Lake Album. Side II is great.
The Beatles: Abbey Road.
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman.
Gerry Rafferty: The one with "Baker Street" on it.

Have also noticed that every album I have (about 5 or so) with an A&M label seems to be better than average recording-wise.

Keep 'em spinnin'
If I'm not spinnin' I'm at a NASCAR race, Nov 11th at PHX anyone want to meet up my Dad has a buddy in the Motorcoach area we got kick-as B-BQ great drinks and one of the best tracks out west!!:cornut: Your list is way cool, my roomie has the MoFi Cat Stevens and I'm so not a fan?!?! Gerry Rafferty Wow forgot about how nice he is very nice produtction not to mention how great it sounds!!!!!!!!!!
QS huh? do you have the decoder? OMD great, The Beatles Maxwells silver hammer cracks me up after al these years:ciappa: She came in through the bathroom window????

You keep spinnin' as well,
Peace Craig

stuwee20
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey sorry I forgot to ask U how U like your 1.6QR's and how you also like the B&K 125 drivin' 'um. I have Martin Logans the Sequels, of course they have dynamic woofers inclosed in a cabinet, I drive 'm with an SAE A202 amp rated 100WPC but, with that low impedence load I'd say she put's out about 200 watts at the peak, I've had the 200 watt red light light up with not a hint of clipping, always thought a great dance club would be lined with Maggies and ML's all around the floor but, no smoking allowed!!

Peace Craig