Subwoofer Cableing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Cableing

mpm32
11-19-2003, 05:49 AM
Hi, New to this forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. Just installed my new Yamaha RX-V1400 and I want to hook up my sub. On my old yamaha, I did not have a sub out so, the b speaker outs were driving the sub. When I ran the wire, I ran 2 pair oxygen free cable under the floor to the sub. For my new reciever, I thought I'd try soldering some RCA plugs to a pair of the wires. The sub works but, I am now getting some 60hz hum. Is there anyway I can use the wire I have in the floor to go from my sub out to my sub? Or, am I going to have to run a sub wire? Is sub wire sheilded? Like coax?

F1
11-19-2003, 06:38 AM
........... Is there anyway I can use the wire I have in the floor to go from my sub out to my sub? Or, am I going to have to run a sub wire? Is sub wire sheilded? Like coax?

You can try to connect the subwoofer the way you connect with your old receiver. See if it works ok. Otherwise buy cheap RCA interconnect to hook up your subwoofer; it should eliminate the hum. Sub wire is the same as RCA interconnect. It is shielded, at least the positive is shielded by the negative.

Monstrous Mike
11-19-2003, 09:31 AM
I have a fairly long cable run for my sub (50'). I used RG-6 coax cable with F-type to RCA connector adapters.

F1 is correct in that you should not use an unshielded cable like speaker wire for the low level RCA connection to the sub.

TinHere
11-19-2003, 08:21 PM
mpm32,

I think using the LFE terminal in the receiver with the coax cable to the sub is the best way to take advantage of the features of your 1400.

Enjoy YPAO.

mpm32
11-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Thanks, Used the coax and all is very well now. Now I just have to run it under the floor again so my wife will stop complaining about the cable running through the living room.