Record cleaning question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record cleaning question

centxtgr
10-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Greetings,
I thinking about buying one of those Nagaoka "rolling cleaners" that they sell on ebay. Has anyone used on of these and do they work as well as a vacuum type record cleaning machine?
thanks,
:23: Mark

tin ear
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Sorry I can't answer your question with any degree of certainty -- I'm newly back into vinyl. For now, I just wash my records with a solution I make and a paintbrush, rinse, then dry in a circular manner with a cotton towel. Any lint that is left is swept up by the brush on my cartridge.

Seems like a reasonable idea, though. I wonder about the 'no rinse' idea that I guess goes with the vacuum type of cleaners.

I'd think you'd want to change the sticky roller oftne, though, depending on how dirty your records are.

I'm curious..

-Jon

stuwee20
10-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Welcome, My first post was tonight,

Do you have other friends with LP's? If yes then ask them if they would be willing to go in on a Nitty Gritty or, similair machine, split the pad and fluid cost even steven, everyone gets one week to do their fav's, then loop it around the folks again for one more week.

Then let a couple of non contributing friends have a go, you know just to be a great guy!!

Tin Ear sorry I didn't reply on my first post response, stupid modem is dropping the line, I'll hit you back later

Peace Craig

tin ear
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Tin Ear sorry I didn't reply on my first post response, stupid modem is dropping the line, I'll hit you back later
Peace Craig
Naw. I lived with dialup for more years than I care to remember. It's crap, but one does what he must do. I've only just had cable here for a year or so.

I'm waiting on yoiur response to bublewis' question. My analog equipt is wanting, but I'd still like to know what reference LPs are.

OK
-j

jrhymeammo
10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I've seen this on the web here and there. Im guessing that it's some type of mild adhesive. If that;s the case, then I would be a bit afraid to use it. I dont think it's possible not to leave any residue after rolling it.

On Nagaoka website, I came across some interesting fact.
レコード針はLP両面をトレースすると、1.5Km前後を走ることになります。
On a single LP(both sides), needle traces give or take 1.5km(0.94 mile) from beginning to the end.

basite
10-07-2006, 01:35 AM
On Nagaoka website, I came across some interesting fact.
レコード針はLP両面をトレースすると、1.5Km前後を走ることになります。
On a single LP(both sides), needle traces give or take 1.5km(0.94 mile) from beginning to the end.

Cool!!

basite
10-07-2006, 05:52 AM
at the hi-fi show in brussels, there was a guy (the belgian rega importer) who said to me that there now was an alternative to nitty gritty, sh*t i forgot the name, it was something like onki noki or onkiono or something like that, it was "payable" he said, i don't exactly know what he takes as payable but i guess 100-200$ or something,
which reminds me, i should visit that guy's shop to ask.

greetz,
basite.

basite
10-07-2006, 06:23 AM
after some google-ing, i found what it's name was, okki nokki, will cost you 325€ (that's the price in belgium) is automatic, and i've only seen positive reviews,

here is one:
http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=152136&postcount=1

not sure for availability there,
anyways,

good luck

Basite.

jrhymeammo
10-07-2006, 07:38 AM
How much is 1 Euro now? $1.25? So if I were to go to my bank and exchange, it would cost me about $1.30 per euro. That's $422.50US. I think people in US would rather get this. http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=NGRD3
That's a bit more payable with my wallet.

I pulled out a $1 record I used buy when I started listening to records. Since I bought it, I've only played it about twice b/c of the condition. Well I finally pulled it out again and clean da "shjt" out of it last night with my DIY vac. The record still pops due to damages, but the surface noise has decreased DRAMATICALLY!!! It's sounds like I should've paid at least $5 for it. I noticed same results with alot of my so-I-perceived "unlistenable" records.
I've seen some Record Doctor RCMs on Agon for about $120-150. If you are not handy like me, I would keep my eyes open to get one of them. They will enhance your sound more than any new cartridges.

or you can build one out of a Dirty Devil like I did.
Builders Be aware. It is ugly and your friends will think you have finally gone nuts.

basite
10-07-2006, 08:17 AM
How much is 1 Euro now? $1.25? So if I were to go to my bank and exchange, it would cost me about $1.30 per euro. That's $422.50US. I think people in US would rather get this. http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=NGRD3
That's a bit more payable with my wallet.

I pulled out a $1 record I used buy when I started listening to records. Since I bought it, I've only played it about twice b/c of the condition. Well I finally pulled it out again and clean da "shjt" out of it last night with my DIY vac. The record still pops due to damages, but the surface noise has decreased DRAMATICALLY!!! It's sounds like I should've paid at least $5 for it. I noticed same results with alot of my so-I-perceived "unlistenable" records.
I've seen some Record Doctor RCMs on Agon for about $120-150. If you are not handy like me, I would keep my eyes open to get one of them. They will enhance your sound more than any new cartridges.

or you can build one out of a Dirty Devil like I did.
Builders Be aware. It is ugly and your friends will think you have finally gone nuts.

indeed, interesting nitty gritty cleaner btw, should keep an eye open for them,

What's a dirty devil??
and most of my friends don't know a bit about audio, they already think i'm nuts because i say the word "amplifier" and how much i spend on audio.

jrhymeammo
10-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Dirt Devil I'm tralking about is a Handheld wet vacuum cleaner. I converted that into record cleaning machine. I posted on Tweak, Mods, DIY section.

stuwee20
10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Naw. I lived with dialup for more years than I care to remember. It's crap, but one does what he must do. I've only just had cable here for a year or so.

I'm waiting on yoiur response to bublewis' question. My analog equipt is wanting, but I'd still like to know what reference LPs are.

OK
-j

Hey dude, ref LP's are the ones that you play to give you the goose bumps, scarey real almost live you are there recordings, and when your nonaudiophile friends sit in front of the speakers, sweet spot be damned!! and close their eyes and sway to the music, then say wow! I never heard that song sound so good before!!

I have 100's I would put in that category, Keep playin' them LP's:4:

Peace Craig

stuwee20
10-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey dude, ref LP's are the ones that you play to give you the goose bumps, scarey real almost live you are there recordings, and when your nonaudiophile friends sit in front of the speakers, sweet spot be damned!! and close their eyes and sway to the music, then say wow! I never heard that song sound so good before!!

I have 100's I would put in that category, Keep playin' them LP's:4:

Peace Craig
Sorry I forgot to mention that most of the best are recorded live in the studio with everyone present, no or minimal overdubs, Concrete Blonde did a version of Little Wing live in the studio that everyonr who loves Jimmy must hear!!:5: Now that is only available on CD but, when you hear it you'll know what I mean about the way it was recorded and, when you hear an LP done rightly!!!!

I forgot one incredable ref lp MoFi Heart Dreamboat Annie, Ann and Nancy Wilson had all tube Mikes, Mixer, Reel to Reel, Tube everything for that Sound!!!!

Peace Craig

tin ear
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Heart Dreamboat Annie, Ann and Nancy Wilson had all tube Mikes, Mixer, Reel to Reel, Tube everything for that Sound!!!!
Man, yer breakin my err... heart. Passed up a copy (consumer grade) in the record store last week for $10 -- had some flaws.

Still considering that audiophile (180 gm) copy I found on the web for $30.

-j

sorry this got off topic

stuwee20
10-10-2006, 12:35 AM
You will not hear a Yamaha 12 string acoustic guitar sound sweeter, or a prettier voice