Do we really need 3 yr old CDs remastered? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need 3 yr old CDs remastered?

Davey
02-06-2004, 10:19 AM
I guess Sony must think so since I was just checking on the upcoming new Modest Mouse album (due Apr 6) and find this at the Epic site:

The Moon & Antarctica -- Expanded Edition will be released on March 9. Completely remastered with all new artwork, this will also feature 4 bonus tracks never before released. These tracks ("3rd Planet," "Perfect Disguise," "Custom Concern (instr.)", and "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes") were taken from a BBC session done in July of '99, nearly a year before The Moon & Antarctica's original release.

You would think that a better strategy would be to make this a hybrid SACD and finally release some new rock music in high rez. This would have been a great candidate because it was a very good recording, IMO (and I said the same thing three years ago too). But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip :(

Dave_G
02-06-2004, 11:06 AM
If they used a Synergetics 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, it has 35% THD at 50GHz, which is audible by some audiophiles.

Therefore, it had to be remastered.

Dave

jasn
02-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Well, this is all a buzz kill, as the apparently-flawed version is on its way to me from CHM.

Stone
02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip :(

I have no idea how long this has been in the works, but it seems a bit odd and too coincidental that MM's songs (or is it just one song so far?) are being used in high-rotation commecials, and now there's news of a remaster/reissue.

Swish
02-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I guess Sony must think so since I was just checking on the upcoming new Modest Mouse album (due Apr 6) and find this at the Epic site:

The Moon & Antarctica -- Expanded Edition will be released on March 9. Completely remastered with all new artwork, this will also feature 4 bonus tracks never before released. These tracks ("3rd Planet," "Perfect Disguise," "Custom Concern (instr.)", and "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes") were taken from a BBC session done in July of '99, nearly a year before The Moon & Antarctica's original release.

You would think that a better strategy would be to make this a hybrid SACD and finally release some new rock music in high rez. This would have been a great candidate because it was a very good recording, IMO (and I said the same thing three years ago too). But no, just add some (very likely inferior) radio session versions of songs already on the album and stick a remaster sticker on it and try to get people to buy it again instead of adding some value. What a rip :(
especially not that dreadful POS. ;)

tentoze
02-06-2004, 08:54 PM

The obvious answer is a resounding NO.