Cat Power: The Greatest [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cat Power: The Greatest

noddin0ff
10-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, from one of Slosh’s compilations (which I miss) I got interested in Cat Power. I picked up You Are Free and her latest, The Greatest. They spent a couple weeks in heavy rotation.

The Greatest. It’s mature, has a sense of nostalgia and ease, of a life worn like a favorite old flannel shirt and faded jeans. Like brushing the dust off an old leather chair and settling in for a cup of what pleases you. I guess she’s had a struggle with alcohol and all. It’s probably where the comfortable strength of this album comes from. But I don’t feel any anger, regret, or pity. Just wisdom and peace. Personally, I find the track The Moon just achingly beautiful. It, like the album, acknowledges one’s fragility and isolation while at the same time calmly accepting it as a permanent part of life. I’ll append lyrics below.

It somehow falls short of an immediately recognizable great album. That’s probably a good thing. I’ve listened to it countless times and it still feels worthy of a listen and an exploration. It’s a keeper with legs.

I’d name the nearest neighbors from my collection as Lucinda Williams Essence, Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, and Nora Jones Come Away with Me. LW for the southern tinge and personal intimacy, CJ for the atmosphere and grace, NJ for the gentle southern feel (maybe).
But I don’t claim great depth here.

I read the backing group is a collection of Memphis veterans. The chemistry is perfect, in my opinion. Not a forced or unwise note.

Worthy of a listen.

the moon is not only beautiful
it is so far away
the moon is not only ice cold
it is here to stay

when i lay me down
will you still be around
when they put me six feet underground
will the big bad beautiful you be around

everyone says they know you
better than you know who
everyone says they own you
more than you do

when i lay me down
will you still be around
when they put you six feet underground
will the big bad beautiful moon be around

cuz the moon is not only beautiful
it is so far away
the moon is not only ice cold
it is here to stay

everyone says they know you
better than you know who
everyone says they own you
more than you do

bobsticks
10-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the rec, this one has eluded me. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

noddin0ff
10-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I also really like You Are Free. But they are far from similar.

dean_martin
10-05-2006, 09:46 AM
The Greatest is one that the wife will actually sit down and listen to with me. It has the laid back haunting feel that I like and the beauty that she likes. I was a little skeptical about the Memphis hook-up at first, but since I've got Dusty in Memphis and Elvis from Memphis...oh well, the horns are a nice touch and aren't over-done.

My first exposure to Cat Power was on a comp by dbi. I took a hiatus for awhile and when I came back, I think dbi was going by another name. Anyway, the track was from You Are Free which I intend to pick up as I explore the back catalog.

Slosh
10-06-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm not really a Cat Power fan. I really liked "He War" and bought You Are Free based on that song but was actually quite disappointed with the album as a whole. I've heard other songs from other albums from the old comp trading days and my consensus on Cat Power is a solid "meh".
Well, from one of Slosh’s compilations (which I miss) I got interested in Cat Power.I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you download one and promptly delete it? :o

Well, here's another (early 2006 Year-End-Comp):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s9ni5u
Think of it as an EP. It's really a work in progress, hence no M3U but if I were to put it in order it would look like this:
1. An Ecumenical Matter - Loose Fur
2. Summer . . . It's Gone - Grandaddy
3. Traces - Built To Spill
4. Bisbee Blue - Calexico
5. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then) - The Decemberists
6. Not Just Words - The Black Heart Procession
7. Ghost In The Sky - Sparklehorse

How the hell am I gonna get Slayer and Tool into this mix? :confused:

On a mundane technical note, when I converted these WMAL files to FLAC all of the text meta data stayed intact but the album art went missing. I know the art is part of the WMAL files because when I play the songs with WMP or MediaMonkey or on my Toshiba S30 portable, well, it's there. Hmmm . . . I suppose dBpowerAMP's FLAC encoder doesn't do album art. Not a big deal . . . just sayin' (yeah, I'm a geek :) )

noddin0ff
10-06-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you download one and promptly delete it? :o

No, just meant it as appreciation and encouragement for more! I wouldn't dare loose the faux punk comp, I'm not usually a comp album person but I really dig that one. tnx.

...download in progress.

Davey
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
My first exposure to Cat Power was on a comp by dbi. I took a hiatus for awhile and when I came back, I think dbi was going by another name. Anyway, the track was from You Are Free which I intend to pick up as I explore the back catalog.
Wow, dbi, now there's a name from the archives. I've heard that some of his old comps are going for crazy bucks on ebay. And to think, I used to have a big ol stack. Coulda been gold ... instead wound up landfill. Oh well, Cat Power and her classic Moon Pix is to be cherished for the ages ...
<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
Beautifully haunting, like a ghost story told through music. Chan Marshall's 1998 masterpiece and one of my all time favorites. Such a cohesive and emotional work. Gently hypnotic vocals that sometimes seem so fragile, yet possessing an underlying self assurance. I love the way she weaves the line from "Amazing Grace" into "Metal Heart".

I once was lost but now I'm found
was blind but now I see
How selfish of you to believe in the meaning of all the bad dreams

Metal heart you're not hiding
Metal heart you're not worth a thing

Sounds like it was written for that song, especially when she delivers it with that dusky, forlorn voice. Perfect for a dark, rainy day .. even the sound of thunder high overhead during one of my other favorites, "Say". The whole album can really get to me sometimes, and especially during the emotional centerpiece of the album, "The Colors and the Kids". Just Chan and her piano, almost sounding like she's playing to an empty bar, stringing together hopeful, dream-like images throughout that finally return to the sadness expressed in the opening lines ...

It must be the colors
And the kids
That keep me alive
'Cause the music is boring me to death

dean_martin
10-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Wow, dbi, now there's a name from the archives. I've heard that some of his old comps are going for crazy bucks on ebay. And to think, I used to have a big ol stack. Coulda been gold ... instead wound up landfill. Oh well, Cat Power and her classic Moon Pix is to be cherished for the ages ...
<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
Beautifully haunting, like a ghost story told through music. Chan Marshall's 1998 masterpiece and one of my all time favorites. Such a cohesive and emotional work. Gently hypnotic vocals that sometimes seem so fragile, yet possessing an underlying self assurance. I love the way she weaves the line from "Amazing Grace" into "Metal Heart".

I once was lost but now I'm found
was blind but now I see
How selfish of you to believe in the meaning of all the bad dreams

Metal heart you're not hiding
Metal heart you're not worth a thing

Sounds like it was written for that song, especially when she delivers it with that dusky, forlorn voice. Perfect for a dark, rainy day .. even the sound of thunder high overhead during one of my other favorites, "Say". The whole album can really get to me sometimes, and especially during the emotional centerpiece of the album, "The Colors and the Kids". Just Chan and her piano, almost sounding like she's playing to an empty bar, stringing together hopeful, dream-like images throughout that finally return to the sadness expressed in the opening lines ...

It must be the colors
And the kids
That keep me alive
'Cause the music is boring me to death

dang, dbi...errr...davey, that's the track! It was Metal Heart from Moon Pix (and not something from You Are Free). funny thing about that American Indie comp (can't remember the version #), I used to play it in the car all the time. my son would ask me about it and would want to see the track list when I took him places. eventually, he asked to borrow it and I haven't seen it since. Just from that comp I added mucho Luna, Modest Mouse, Pavement, the aforementioned Cat Power, Yo La Tengo, 11th Dream Day and perhaps others to my collection.

3-LockBox
10-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm not really a Cat Power fan...I've hear other songs from other albums from the old comp trading days and my consensus on Cat Power is a solid "meh".

ditto

Snowbunny
10-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Oh yeah, that's why I don't come here very often. I forgot how long it takes the page to load. :)

Thanks for reminding me about The Greatest noddinOff! I'll have to add that one to my shopping cart. Are there any covers on the disc?

I recently bought almost all of her CD's, with the exception of her first, which I think must be quite rare. Here's my ranking of what I have:

1. Moon PIx - I agree with what Davey says about this disc! I can't imagine tiring of it!
2. The Covers Record - Rather odd choice of material, but very appealing.
3. You Are Free - Not really any stand-out songs, but nice background music.
4. What Would the Community Think - Love Nude as the News and Bathysphere. The rest of the album doesn't do much for me.
5. Myra Lee - I wouldn't waste my $$.

Snowbunny

3-LockBox
10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, dbi, now there's a name from the archives. I've heard that some of his old comps...wound up landfill.
Maybe that's why he doesn't post here anymore;)

noddin0ff
10-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for reminding me about The Greatest noddinOff! I'll have to add that one to my shopping cart. Are there any covers on the disc?
I believe they are all originals.

I recently bought almost all of her CD's, with the exception of her first, which I think must be quite rare. Here's my ranking of what I have:
1. Moon PIx - I agree with what Davey says about this disc! I can't imagine tiring of it!
I see Moon Pix in my future. Tnx!

Davey
10-07-2006, 11:40 AM
3. You Are Free - Not really any stand-out songs, but nice background music.
I kind of felt that way at first too, but now view it as probably top 10 of the 2000's. "Shaking Paper" and "I Don't Blame You" and "Good Woman" and "Werewolf" and all the rest. Her voice has never been better. The lyrics are kind of underdeveloped, and that was a letdown at first because she's done better, but musically it's very rich, maybe her best work. Then again, I love Community and Moon Pix too. I always considered those three her trilogy, each a masterpiece in its own way. The Covers Record was just kind of a bonus release stuck in there, more a gift to her fans than a "proper" release. So, even though I do really like it, it's #4 on my list. Haven't heard The Greatest yet, but nothing I've heard about it leads me to think it would change my rankings.

Davey
10-07-2006, 11:58 AM
dang, dbi...errr...davey, that's the track! It was Metal Heart from Moon Pix
Yeah, good song. Wound up on one of our Rave Recs group comps too. CZ pick. Pretty nice tracklist on that one. Fun comp. Somebody should load that up as a ysi or something ...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2084#Song_of_the_Day_1

C-Z
10-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, good song. Wound up on one of our Rave Recs group comps too. CZ pick. Pretty nice tracklist on that one. Fun comp.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2084#Song_of_the_Day_1

Guess my ears were ringing.

I like that comp - still play it. Always wondered which Cat Power album to buy - seem like Moon Pix is a good choice?

Davey
10-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Guess my ears were ringing.

I like that comp - still play it. Always wondered which Cat Power album to buy - seem like Moon Pix is a good choice?
Wow, there's a name from the past you don't see around here very often. Hey Chris, good to know you're still alive and kicking! Moon Pix is always a good choice if you like the songs you've heard from it. Nice backing on much of it by the rhythm section from the Dirty Three, and she even does a pretty cool version of that traditional "Moonshiner" song popularized by Dylan too. She did a whole album of unique covers after Moon Pix, some of them quite outstanding, and sounding like her own. I did one comp called "Naked, If I Want To" with that great Moby Grape song as the opener, and Chan's extended cover of it from The Covers Record as the closer. Slipped in one of the highlights from You Are Free as well. Really liked that comp, but don't have a copy anymore ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Naked_If_I_Want_To

But any of her last few releases are favorites to some. Probably the most critical acclaim from the 2003 releases of You Are Free which seemed to give her a bit more musical depth, and features some very nice drumming by Dave Grohl, and even some backing vocals from Eddie Vetter.

dean_martin
10-10-2006, 07:33 AM
mmm...nice cover art for that Naked, If I Want To.

C-Z
10-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey Chris, good to know you're still alive and kicking!

Thanks, pal! Yes, I am still kicking and doing well. Last few years have been interesting and often hectic, slowing down now a bit it seems.

Think I'll try Moon Pix, and maybe You Are Free. I'll let you know what I think.