Sub is mute--setup??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub is mute--setup???

Jibba
10-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Greetings all,

I've got a Velodyne sub connected to my AVR 1804 (yes, the same one that had a blown surround processor--not once,but twice!)

Anyway, I got it all setup and the only issue is that the sub doesn't put out any bass. When I do test tones to match speaker levels, I don't get one through the sub--so that tells me that the receiver isn't sending a signal through the sub.

Bass comes through on the front monitors, but without nearly the depth that it did with the sub. Is there some reason that the AVR is bypassing the sub and sending bass to the monitors?

In the system setup mode I have speakers set to "small"--which is what is recommended. Sub is "on" and it produces it's own EQ sound sweeps, so I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

PeruvianSkies
10-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Could be a few factors...

Obviously the first is to check and make sure all the connections are secure. Power is ON and all the very basic setup functions. If so, then I would begin checking the setup controls with the receiver/surround processor to make sure that it is sending out a .1 LFE signal. Sometimes there is an option that allows you to turn on or off a sub by telling it "YES" or "NO" to whether a sub is connected. Often times this is the case. You might even have to do a factor reset to see if that is the case. If the processor is not faulty than it is either the sub or the cable. I am thinking it might be helpful to elimate possibilites by perhaps checking all these out and then if you can ....see if you can't get another sub or receiver hooked up to see if you can narrow down the problem.

Jibba
10-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I checked the sub--it hums nicely when I tested the RCA cable so it's not the sub.

Reset the microprocessor, did the setup, and still....nothing.

The processor is faulty, otherwise it would be sending the bass to the sub, and it still goes through the monitors.

Not the end of the world, but when you have a Velodyne Sub, simply pushing bass through the monitors isn't going to cut it.

I think it's time to move up to the 3806 and start fresh. There's another $1k +.........