Beck: The Information [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beck: The Information

noddin0ff
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM
I heard there was a new Beck album out and went looking for it last night. Found the only copy in Barnes and Noble. Bought it, listened to it.

I Like.

First, the packaging. Interesting. It's a CD with accompanying DVD. The DVD has videos for the entire album (15 tracks). I've been listening/viewing the DVD on my laptop so I'm not sure if it has a 5.1 mix on it. I'd guess not, but I'll see later. The video's all look homemade. They probably are. But it's the perfect look anyway. Various costumes looking like they were put together from 1980's B-movie wardrobes and old civil war mockups. I keep thinking they were going for The Royal Tenenbaum look.

The CD jewel case contains a piece of graph paper with zero information, no text what so ever...and a nice large sheet of stickers. Goofy and cool at the same time. I believe it’s a DIY liner.

The music... Well it's Beck. I'd hate to try to explain to someone who's never heard any Beck what Beck sounds like. I've got most his albums. This one I think is most similar to Sea Change, except it is much more fun and up tempo. Sea change was more lush, this is more rhythmic. Next neighbor might be Mutations, except substitute forward motion for introspection. It's not hyper driven like Midnight Vultures. It's not as textured and 'themed' like Guero.

It is fun. You can dance to a lot of it or just listen to the sounds from space. When I first put it on (in the car) the first thing that came to mind was hearing The Cars (1st) and Candy-O. Kind of that optimism and movin' music. I think it was the drumming that put me in that frame. Also a little of the surreal as Ocasek's lyrics got. Anyway, maybe just late 70's early 80's nostalgia.

But, obviously, this is Beck and not The Cars. Best I can do is list the many things it made me think of as I listen. I was reminded of Weather Report, Herbie’s Headhunters, The Kinks, Dylan, Kraftwerk/Depech Mode, Morphine…and that’s just the first few tracks.

I think we’re going to hear a lot of Think I’m in love (but it makes me kind of nervous to say so) What a great song. It’s completely stuck in my head now.

I don’t think this album will set itself apart by having a unique character like Odelay or Guero. But it is a very solidly good album. The DVD is a very cool addition.

dean_martin
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm a Beck fan from way back - One Foot in the Grave - but never got around to picking up Guero. Have One Foot in the Grave on K Records label vinyl and Mellow Gold, Odelay and Mutations on Bong Load vinyl, Midnight Vultures and Sea Change on cd. I stopped looking for the vinyl releases after Mutations - don't know why. Anyhow, the dvd sounds like a nice addition and unless it comes with the vinyl release too (assuming there is/will be one), I'll probably opt for the cd. Thanks again, noddin.

noddin0ff
10-04-2006, 09:05 AM
You're welcome, Dean. There's a slight blues/folksyness in several tracks that made me think back to Stereopathic Soul Manure (rowboat, crystal clear, etc.), for what it's worth. But he's come a long way for sure.

I think one of the pleasures you'd miss out on w/ vinyl would be driving in the car with it on. There were so many times going home I'd wonder where that (engine?) whine was coming from, or what I hit that made that knock or ping or .... then realize it was Beck.

dean_martin
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I think one of the pleasures you'd miss out on w/ vinyl would be driving in the car with it on. There were so many times going home I'd wonder where that (engine?) whine was coming from, or what I hit that made that knock or ping or .... then realize it was Beck.

Yeah, much of his stuff is good cruzin' music. my brother still wants to listen to "Debra" everytime he gets in the car w/me. I did pick up Odelay and Mellow Gold used on cd just for the car. it's funny but my used copy of Mellow Gold from about 10yrs ago came with a bonus cd - something from The Wu Tang Clan - I don't know how it got in there. one of these days I might give it a spin.

I walked right by Beck at the '95 Lollapalooza in Atlanta. My buddy and I were going to the second stage and I guess he was going back to the main stage area. We did a double-take..."was that...? yeah!...I think it was". He's a little guy. He was wearing bell bottoms that dragged the ground. We were on a dirt trail, it was hot and dry and his jeans swirled up dust. reminded me of Pig Pen from Charlie Brown/Peanuts. We were ready for the next celebrity sighting. We met Steve Shelly, drummer for Sonic Youth, at the second stage (a lot of the main stage acts came over to see Pavement who was supposed to be on the main stage, but got moved to the second stage in Atlanta). nice guy, good conversation.

nobody
10-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I like it, but again, I like Beck.

I think it will get uneven reviews, although if he wasn't already big and just came out with this, it would be hailed as something great. He's a victim of his own success. He doesn't make, shockingly groundbreaking music anymore. He makes Beck music. its nothing we haven't heard him do before at this point, but that's OK if you're a fan.

I think its kinda a blend of Mutations and Guerro...the groove and vibe of Mutations but with the style of Guerro where he really started to consolidate the different sounds he used on his albums up to that point and fuse his acoustic and electric sides.

The opening track is a great song.

Stone
10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
I think it will get uneven reviews.

uneven reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/beck/information)

You're a writer, a poet; a genius, I know it.

Audio Girl
10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I love how Beck is called "They", "Them", as in plural of a group. The silly writers don't get it that it is one individual. I didn't either until you guys enlightened me. :-)