Need help with setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with setup

sanfran88
10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Hi,
I'm getting a new LCD TV the end of this month and I want to hookup my HD DVR to it via HDMI and DVD player/recorder via the second HDMI. Also 2 game consoles via the 2 component connection. What I need help with to how to output the audio to external speakers. I have a small room and full surround will be waste of money and I don't want to rock the house. I just want center and front speakers (maybe a subwoofer).
Will it be fine if I just buy a HTIB (200-300) and just hookup the digital audio out from the LCD TV to the digital audio in of the HTIB receiver?
Is this even doable?
Is there a better solution for my situation?
Thanks

paul_pci
10-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi,
I'm getting a new LCD TV the end of this month and I want to hookup my HD DVR to it via HDMI and DVD player/recorder via the second HDMI. Also 2 game consoles via the 2 component connection. What I need help with to how to output the audio to external speakers. I have a small room and full surround will be waste of money and I don't want to rock the house. I just want center and front speakers (maybe a subwoofer).
Will it be fine if I just buy a HTIB (200-300) and just hookup the digital audio out from the LCD TV to the digital audio in of the HTIB receiver?
Is this even doable?
Is there a better solution for my situation?
Thanks

Let me clear up one myth you seem to be embracing: surround sound set up is loud, and only useful for large rooms. Surround sound is as loud and obnoxious as you let it be. You're the one in control, not the speakers. You'd be surprised how enjoyable surround can be even in small rooms. Now if you want to hear audio from any of the 4 sources you name, you're going to need an a/v receiver. And you can connect as many speakers as you want: 2, 3, 5, 6, or 7; it's your call. As for HTIB, that is like flushing money down the toilet. You can find a reasonably priced receiver for about $2-300 and then find a pair of speakers you like and can afford, and then build from there.

sanfran88
10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So is doable to keep all the devices connected to the LCD TV and then just connect the digital audio out from the TV to the digital audio in of the receiver?
is this ok or do I have to hookup all my devices to the receiver?
Thanks again.

paul_pci
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Audio should go straight from device to av receiver. Video can, but doesn't have to go from device to receiver then to tv. It depends on the type of receiver you get and how many devices you're working wtih, etc. For instance my tv has only one component input, so I route my dvd player and sat receiver's video through my receiver, since my receiver has 2 component inputs. Video switching through a receiver is also convenient because you don't have to always be switching the tv's input selection.