Willie-isms... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Willie-isms...

dean_martin
10-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Willie Nelson's public statement regarding recently being caught with a bag of
marijuana:

"It's a good thing I had a bag of Marijuana instead of a bag of spinach. I'd be dead by now."

KaiWinters
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
On its' own it is rather funny and possibly quite true considering the recent spinach fiasco.

However it can be read/misread...take it how you will...as a disrespectful statement regarding our current law, right or wrong, on marijuana possession.

We have all probably said something similar and gotten laughs over it. No big deal. But a celeb saying it brings on the newsworthiness of it. Especially good ol' Willie who has certainly had his problems with laws.

To me it is no big deal excepting a slow news day I guess.

dean_martin
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
On its' own it is rather funny and possibly quite true considering the recent spinach fiasco.

However it can be read/misread...take it how you will...as a disrespectful statement regarding our current law, right or wrong, on marijuana possession.

We have all probably said something similar and gotten laughs over it. No big deal. But a celeb saying it brings on the newsworthiness of it. Especially good ol' Willie who has certainly had his problems with laws.

To me it is no big deal excepting a slow news day I guess.

Kai - I agree to a certain extent. but hearing stories (assuming they're true) of Willie, Johnny Cash and others being harassed on the road makes me wonder if it's the authorities who aren't disregarding individual liberties. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if those stories are "tall tales." Please don't take my posting of this quote as a lack of respect for law-abiding citizens (of whom I'm one). Sometimes my teenage rebellious streak resurfaces after years of suppression. Instead of acting out, I post stuff like this.

nobody
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Of course Willie Nelson has no respcet for pot laws in the US. I thought that was a given.

Ol' Shotgun Willie's still an outlaw ya know...even these days.

His 2006 release, You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker, where he does nothing but cover old western songs from the 40s is really fantastic too...great versions of The Bubbles in my Beer and Cherokee Maiden along with many others.