Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus...

jpl
10-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Is the Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus any good? I heard mixed opinions, just wondering what would be the latest. I'm looking for a center channel where space is an issue.
Thanks!
JPL

basite
10-04-2006, 07:21 AM
depends on it, what is the rest of your system??

jpl
10-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Mains: Polk r40's, rears: polk r10's, 2 subs: 1-8", 1-12", amp: Onkyo txds656.

basite
10-04-2006, 07:45 AM
it seems to be good, although, you could also go for a polk center, to get a more similar sound.

jpl
10-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I was looking for a Polk, but can't seem to fild a good one that's less than 5 1/2" tall & 6-7" deep.......

Woochifer
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Doesn't matter how good a center speaker sounds by itself.

It's ALL about how well it matches with your main speakers, regardless of whether the sound is better or worse than the mains. Even a center speaker that subjectively sounds better the mains will detract from the continuity of the front soundstage and degrade the imaging, because it calls attention to itself. Typically, the best match will come from speakers in the same family as your mains. While it is possible to find a decent enough match from a different manufacturer, you'll need to take the time to try these out with your mains. Asking about a center speaker means nothing unless you know how well it blends with the other speakers in your system.

Generally, if the mismatch between the center speaker and the mains is very pronounced, you're actually better off with no center speaker. Your approach of finding a center speaker based on reviews and the outer dimensions is not the way to go if you're at all concerned with performance. If those size specs are firm, then you need to ask yourself whether the decor or the sound quality means more.

jpl
10-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks for all the info, and yeah, like in a previous post space is limited, and I was hoping someone had a track record w/ Polk and mis-matched center channel so I could avoid the guessing game. How about Bose cs10, or a CERWIN VEGA CVHD Series Center Channel Speaker, any imput?

Woochifer
10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the info, and yeah, like in a previous post space is limited, and I was hoping someone had a track record w/ Polk and mis-matched center channel so I could avoid the guessing game. How about Bose cs10, or a CERWIN VEGA CVHD Series Center Channel Speaker, any imput?

Best thing to do is to try them out for yourself. If their voice characteristics don't sufficiently match with your mains, then they have no place in your system. You want to avoid the "guessing game" but IMO relying on second hand info and buying a center speaker without knowing how well it matches with your mains is a far worse option because it drains your wallet while making your sound worse.

Keep in mind that even within the same company, the center speakers will not always match properly with all of that company's offerings. For example, B&W's lower end center speakers would be a very poor match for their Nautilus models. Even if Polk made a center speaker for a different product line in the right size, it might still be a mismatch for your R-series speakers if its tonal characteristics are significantly different.

If nothing out there meets your size specs AND properly voice matches with the mains, then don't be afraid to go without a center speaker. Your receiver/processor is designed to create a phantom center effect with the L and R mains if the center channel is switched off in the setup menu. IMO, no center speaker is far preferable to a severely mismatched center speaker.