Scarface Platinum Edition? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Scarface Platinum Edition?

paul_pci
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Does anybody know if this new edition is worth buying or if it's just another gimmick to empty our wallets. I have the Anniversary Edition, but this new one is supposedly remastered, even including updated sound effects, which seems like an unjustified alteration. Any comments would be appreciated.

Groundbeef
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Does anybody know if this new edition is worth buying or if it's just another gimmick to empty our wallets. I have the Anniversary Edition, but this new one is supposedly remastered, even including updated sound effects, which seems like an unjustified alteration. Any comments would be appreciated.

I would wait until the "Platinum Double Aniversary Extra Special Sneak Preview With Never Seen Before Extra Commentary" comes out. About that time they will be finished draining your wallet.

I guess if you need to hear a gun fired with even greater clarity, this may be your release.

Woochifer
10-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Reviews I've read indicate that the primary change to this edition is that they remixed the audio track. The video transfer and most of the bonus features are basically the same as the anniversary edition that Universal issued in 2003. Short of it is that if you don't already own Scarface, this Platinum Edition is the one to get. If you already own the Anniversary Edition, whether or not to double dip depends on how much you want that remixed and remastered audio.

I have the previous edition and the audio did sound quite dated. Then again, the original soundtrack elements were done in 1983 and I don't think the movie was theatrically released with a six-channel soundtrack, so it would stand to reason that it does not hold up well. I think that efforts to "modernize" vintage movie soundtracks are inevitably a mixed bag. Some aspects of it might subjectively sound better, but the contrasts can sound quite jarring and ridiculous at times.

Smokey
10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
The video transfer and most of the bonus features are basically the same as the anniversary edition that Universal issued in 2003.

If I ever seen a movie that is in need of some serious attention in video department, Scarface would be it. Borrowed the anniversary edition from a friend, and video was so disappointing. Too much noise, murky and colors were just plain dull.

And from on line reviews of new Platinum Edition released today, the video has not being
improved in anyway. May be on the next edition :D

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
SCARFACE has not had a very good history on DVD. The first DVD was a disaster and then some with some of the worst print problems EVER. The sound was also a mess. Then, the Anniversasry Ed. comes out with the hope that problems would be alleviated. Well, despite doing a 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS audio, both are very thin and problematic in many areas. There is harshness and other distortions that are plaguing that DVD, especially the Moroder score. The picture is the other half of the nightmare with an incredibly large amount of grain and artifacts making the picture seem dated and dirty. Colors were another huge disappointment, especially the video RED.

PLEASE UNIVERSAL GET THIS RIGHT AT SOME POINT IN TIME! How else are all the wannabe gangsters gonna live????