need/want new speakers... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need/want new speakers...

michele
10-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Hello everyone, I run a pair 25 year old JBL L35 (most of you may not even remember them) I do not have a sub, I tried JBL and Klipsch a wile back and it was no improvement at all.
The speakers still sound great but I have a feeling I am a bit behind in the tech side.

These speakers are crisp with nice deep base. The mid size might be a on the aggressive side but I tune that down from the built in controls.

I drive the speakers with a Denon AVR-2802 (nothing special but it is fine for me)
I listen to most everything from Classical to Jazz and movies of course.

I am basically looking for a bit more power and a fairly neutral to warm sound (if that makes any sound) As far as cost I guess I can spend about $1000.00-to $1.500.00 a pair if I have to. Also, I am willing to replace the speakers; only if it is going to be an obvious improvement otherwise I will wait and replace the receiver as well.

I have read many interesting reviews here about among others, the Soliloquy and the paradigm Studio series.
Most of you have a definite opinion about your equipment which many times is amplified (no point intended) by other members. That is where people like me “out of touch” benefit most.

Anyway, Thanks in advance. So fire away!

Michele

elapsed
10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Michele - I would audition Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, and pair them with a HSU or SVS subwoofer:

Paradigm Studio 20 v3: $700
HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer: $700

I would also audition Paradigm Studio 40 v3 ($1,200).

For your receiver, you may want to consider adding a Rotel Poweramp in the future via the AVR-2802's pre-out's. :)

Mr Peabody
10-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Are you talking about replacing all 5 speakers for that price? I am personally a die hard Dynaudio fan. You can get a pair of floor standing 2-way in your price range, If you went with bookshelf you could probably add the center without going out of your range. I would not call Dyn's warm. They are probably the most neutral or honest speaker I've found, so they will reflect the characteristics of what you drive them with. They will also be a speaker you can keep when you upgrade. They keep pace well beyond their price range. I've driven many pairs with different electronics and you can typically count on a revealing presentation with a good bass response. I am always amazed at how low and the quantity of bass Dynaudio is able to get from their drivers. But everything in a Dynaudio speaker is built by them in house.

Dusty Chalk
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Stick with the JBL's. I'm not familiar with them, but there's really nothing wrong with vintage audio. You may want to have someone look at the crossover (caps may have dried out) and possibly recone the woofers, and perhaps add a sub to the arrangement, but other than that, I would stick with what you have.

I'm not helping are I? We're supposed to help you spend your money, aren't we? Sorry...

Have you heard any of the current JBL's?

daviethek
10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Sigmund says it sounds like you want more than need new speakers. This is OK.
This hobby is much more want than need. The Paradigm 20's are a superb speaker and my recollection is that they are not harsh but very musical and smooth. I have a slightly different recommendation for the bass however. I think you should consider a 15 inch sub. It has the kind of deep musical feeling that the old 12 inch air suspension jobs used to have.(JB/AR/Advent). have fun. dk

audio_dude
10-02-2006, 05:06 PM
The new JBL stuff is crap...utter crap...

meh, maybe some low-end stuff might be alright, but anything higher and you're getting goudged

bobsticks
10-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Hey michele,

I was thinking along the same lines as daviethek but he beat me to the punch. If you 'want' new speakers you may be in for a letdown in what $1500 can get compared to whatcha already got. The Studio 20v3 and 15 servo sub combo is going to run you more than 2k unless you get some great deals used.

I'm not saying not to go for it, there's nothing wrong with changing speakers before they're in the grave (just ask nightflier about his garage), but if that vintage sound is what you are happiest with getting some maintenance on your existing units may be most cost effective.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and have fun

michele
10-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi Michele - I would audition Paradigm Studio 20 speakers, and pair them with a HSU or SVS subwoofer:

Paradigm Studio 20 v3: $700
HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer: $700

I would also audition Paradigm Studio 40 v3 ($1,200).

For your receiver, you may want to consider adding a Rotel Poweramp in the future via the AVR-2802's pre-out's. :)

Thanks for the reply,
I will locate a dealer near this area (South Florida) and go for a nice audition.

update:

I am atm re-organizing my office/media room to optimize the audio aspect of it. I am thinking of getting some acoustic panels becaus this room has an angled ceiling from 8ft to 16 ft. The acoustic is at least not ideal.

As far as the Amp it is actually been in my mind as well. What do you think of the

ROTEL RMB-1075?

Thanks for the input

michele
10-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Are you talking about replacing all 5 speakers for that price? I am personally a die hard Dynaudio fan. You can get a pair of floor standing 2-way in your price range, If you went with bookshelf you could probably add the center without going out of your range. I would not call Dyn's warm. They are probably the most neutral or honest speaker I've found, so they will reflect the characteristics of what you drive them with. They will also be a speaker you can keep when you upgrade. They keep pace well beyond their price range. I've driven many pairs with different electronics and you can typically count on a revealing presentation with a good bass response. I am always amazed at how low and the quantity of bass Dynaudio is able to get from their drivers. But everything in a Dynaudio speaker is built by them in house.

Ho no,

I was only going to replace the two front channels. (L&R)
As far as speakers, I will say that the reviews for Dynaudio are impressive. Then again, What I need is a good listening session.

Thanks for the input.

Ciao

michele
10-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Stick with the JBL's. I'm not familiar with them, but there's really nothing wrong with vintage audio. You may want to have someone look at the crossover (caps may have dried out) and possibly recone the woofers, and perhaps add a sub to the arrangement, but other than that, I would stick with what you have.

I'm not helping are I? We're supposed to help you spend your money, aren't we? Sorry...

Have you heard any of the current JBL's?

Let me just say I will not share your post with the wife :) I will keep it for myself.

Point well taken however.

I had the foam replace on the woofers about 10 years ago but I suppose I could go back and have them check everything again.

Thanks.

Michele

Dusty Chalk
10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Well, it's just that you said this:
I am willing to replace the speakers; only if it is going to be an obvious improvement otherwise I will wait and replace the receiver as well....but take into account that I have not heard that particular model of JBL.

I'm not familiar with Rotel, but they have a good reputation.