Merits of bipole/dipole vs. standard sides in 7.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Merits of bipole/dipole vs. standard sides in 7.1

Tahoe Gator
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
About ready to place my speakers in a 7.1 setup in a newly finished basement's family room. I purchased and had planned to use a pair of Polk FXi5s for the sides (RT55i for front L/R, CS400i center, RT15i rear, HSU sub, NAD T775 receiver).

As it turns out, the FXi5 bipole/dipole speakers, with their triangular shape, are not going to be so easy to place and, where I need one of them to be (right next to a fireplace mantle), it's not going to look so great (I have the RT15i rears mounted up high, inside the ceiling soffit, on the side facing the room, and hidden with a custom grille).

All that said, I am willing to compromise some aesthetics for performance, but I am curious on the general benefits of bipole/dipole for the sides, versus a more standard speaker I could make less obtrusive or even hide inside the wall? I know, it depends on so many things, but any general thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

elapsed
10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
You may want to read this article: http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/index.html

For home theatre, most people prefer dipoles for their surrounds, and direct speakers for their rears, but as you will read there are many different configurations that may work for your environment. :)

Tarheel_
10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
also consider what type of source you'll be listening to....i mean, if it's totally for movies, you may want to consider the bi/di pole route. If your going to watch alot of TV and listen to music, then the direct speakers are a good choice.
I run a 7.1 in my basement with all direct speakers and like the directional approach. I also use RT15i's as my 6 and 7th speakers for the back surrounds. Go to Dolby and/or DTS website on proper placement...it makes a difference.