Cerwin Vega [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega

Morpheus77
10-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, just joined today. Look here, I'm needing some tips from the forum. I am an avid CV lover, and am looking to upgrading my mains to the CLS-215 models. Now I have sent CV an email inquiring about these models. For those who aren't familiar with these models, its a dual 15 tower with a 6.5 midrange, and a one inch ferro fluid cooled tweeter. Now I'm waiting on CV to email me back about whether or not both woofers are tuned to the low end frequency. I know sometimes that dual speaker models usually have one woofer tuned to the low end side while the other is tuned to the midrange end. However, I'm thinking that both woofers are indeed low end, and the handling capacity is 500 watts. My question is, assuming both cones are bass producing, what do yall recommend in terms of amplifications for the behemoths? Do yall recommend a new receiver plus amps, or just amps? Thanks

Tommy

Jim85IROC
10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Since most cerwin vega owners are guys who want their music very loud, I'd suggest getting as robust of an amp as you can afford. Likewise, unless their new stuff is different, cerwin vega's bigger speakers always used to be 4 ohm units, so you'll need an amp that can handle it.

What I would do, especially if you already have a preamp or a receiver that's got pre-outs, is to get a pro/dj amp, like a Behringer (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-745), or a lower-end Crown (The XLS 402 comes to mind http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-466). These are affordable power house amps that will really make those vegas rock.

By the way, those cerwin vega speakers almost definately have both woofers parallel-wired and playing the same frequency range. It's possible that they have separate low-pass rolloffs to account for baffle step, but I doubt it. I'd guess that they both cross at around 500 or 600hz to the mid.