Energy C-200 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy C-200

calegrant
10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm a student on a budget, but still love my music. I'm building a small set up that will be 90% music, 5% ht and tv. I've listened to the Energy c200's at A&B sound and really liked them, but was wondering if there are any hidden bugs you all might be aware of. Also if there's something comparable in the price range. I've heard a lot of mission speakers, but they no longer distribute to canada so I'm told :sad: Price on them is $399, getting them at $475 with stands and taxes. Thanks in advance

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=293#

elapsed
10-01-2006, 10:51 AM
If you have a chance, hop a ferry over to Vancouver and visit these stores to audition as many speakers as possible: Hi Fi Centre (Seymour St), Commercial Electronics (Burrard St), Sound Plus (Broadway), and The Sound Room (Broadway).

For your budget I'd suggest auditionning bookshelf speakers from Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, and B&W. A&B Sound only carries Energy and Totem, so its certainly worth taking the time to audition many other brands.

jrhymeammo
10-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Which B&W speakers do you own currently? I've never read any quality control issues with Energy speakers. Can you remember what the store was driving Energys with? Please tell me what receiver you are driving them with? Since I dont know which techinic receivers you have, but have you considered getting a different receiver? $475 CAD is a good budget for a 2ch receiver.

-JRA

-JRA

canuckle
10-01-2006, 12:27 PM
The C-200's are nice enough speakers and I've never heard any major complaints about them. I know you're on a budget, but A&B around here has been selling the Energy RC-10's for about $625/pair if you whine and dicker with them. That's a couple hundred above what you're looking at spending now, but the sound difference is way more than that. The RC-10's are simply a different class of speaker and I can't imagine you'd ever regret spending a bit more to get them.

More info. (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm)

calegrant
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Update

Was interested in the energy's but the ones I was listening to blew IN the store. So I left thinking I'd wait another few months but decided to stop in to soundhounds. The premier audio shop in Victoria and it intimidates the hell out of me! But man, talking to those guys made such a huge difference. It's not a typical store, they're not worrying about making those little sales so they don't "car salesmen" you. If anyone knows the shop, you know how laid back it is. Long story short, walked out with B&W 601's and couldn't be happier :3: