Systems in High end model homes... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Systems in High end model homes...

thekid
10-01-2006, 07:48 AM
For what is worth........

I just toured the local builders association show of high end homes for the area 750k-1.2mil. One home boasted 250k worth of electronics/audio systems which included 35 speakers throughout the house including a separate HT room and HT separate bedroom HT set-up.

Most houses had separate rooms dedicated to HT. As often as I could I tried to get a glimpse of their set-ups beyond just the obligatory 40-60 inch flat screen TV's and projection screens. Of the 14 houses it was split about evenly between Pioneer Elites and HK A/V recievers spotted one Denon and another company called Nuvo? Speakers were mostly Jamo's, a couple of sets of Definitive and one set of Klipsch. Lack of variety probably due to fact that it appears only 2 vendors were involved in the set-ups. Not sure what the generally impression on this site is on Jamo but I was not that impressed. Everything was in-wall for the most part including their subs so for the WAF issue they probably score high. Perhaps I am getting jaded but really did not see any system that made me go WOW. The house with the 250k worth of electronics/audio did have the best HT but I could not get a look at their cabinet or speakers. Most impressive thing was the pool surrounded by outdoor speakers that looked like flood lights and produced some decent sound but seemed impractical.

The Tahitijack
10-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Our local Street of Dreams home show had a lot of over the top a/v including a HT with seats that rumbled, and tilted fw/sideways and back coordinated with the Starwars sceans as the action changed. In most cases he gear was tucked away out of sight but the installer's name and contact info was provided. I found a couple of "central control" areas located in what would have been a closet, but don't remember the products, which were racked. One of the a/v companies that designed and intalled a whole home audio video system was the one that did the a/v in my home. They recommeded and intalled Nuvo ceiling speakers in my home for ambient listening. The Nuvo's sound great but a M&K subwoofer in the great room was added to improve the sound quality. Friends and family have commented on how good my home sounds....odd comment but I think its a compliment. A few years ago model homes began featuring a dedicated home theater. Today they feature whole house audio/video and have moved to "outdoor rooms" with quality sound supporting video.

Jimmy C
10-01-2006, 11:28 AM
For what is worth........

I just toured the local builders association show of high end homes for the area 750k-1.2mil. One home boasted 250k worth of electronics/audio systems which included 35 speakers throughout the house including a separate HT room and HT separate bedroom HT set-up.

Most houses had separate rooms dedicated to HT. As often as I could I tried to get a glimpse of their set-ups beyond just the obligatory 40-60 inch flat screen TV's and projection screens. Of the 14 houses it was split about evenly between Pioneer Elites and HK A/V recievers spotted one Denon and another company called Nuvo? Speakers were mostly Jamo's, a couple of sets of Definitive and one set of Klipsch. Lack of variety probably due to fact that it appears only 2 vendors were involved in the set-ups. Not sure what the generally impression on this site is on Jamo but I was not that impressed. Everything was in-wall for the most part including their subs so for the WAF issue they probably score high. Perhaps I am getting jaded but really did not see any system that made me go WOW. The house with the 250k worth of electronics/audio did have the best HT but I could not get a look at their cabinet or speakers. Most impressive thing was the pool surrounded by outdoor speakers that looked like flood lights and produced some decent sound but seemed impractical.

...a house that costs "only" $750K, yet they have a quarter mill in audio? Disproportionate if you ask me!

Well, that's just it. And that's why more upper-end homes don't always have killer audio. Preferences. Similar to saying "why don't these houses have an Orange County Chopper in the garage?" People are simple not into "it" enough. If you're into it, can afford it, (and sometimes not), you'll have it.

Last New Year's, we visited a home here on Long Island (Massapequa) on the water that is easily over a mill. The owner was very proud to show off his big screen and in-wall stereo. Sounded like poop. So where does that leave us? He's the millionaire, he's happy with his crappy stereo, and he's the one with the Sea Ray in the backyard :*)

Not all wealthy people are into audio, and they're not supposed to be.

We're just pissed they can afford it, but don't know what to do!

The Tahitijack
10-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Hay Jimmy C some of my neighbors have garages that look like a well appointed auto shop with ventage signage, special floor coating or black and white tiles, and wall graphics. They don't do major repairs but the cool vibe is there. At the Street of Dreams some local dealers displayed luxury cars in the motor court areas of these monster homes. Its all about staging, creating a feeling.

Jimmy C
10-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Hay Jimmy C some of my neighbors have garages that look like a well appointed auto shop with ventage signage, special floor coating or black and white tiles, and wall graphics. They don't do major repairs but the cool vibe is there. At the Street of Dreams some local dealers displayed luxury cars in the motor court areas of these monster homes. Its all about staging, creating a feeling.

"Street of Dreams? Sorry, not familiar...

Yeah, some of that garage stuff is cool. I'm no longer into cars, but our friends got the concrete covered with polyurethane, any color you want. Looks like the lunar surface as viewed from a few thou away. Cool bumpy texture, sleek look, and very easy to clean.

Negatives? Well, it's about $800 to do my normal garage, 10x20.

Again, just priorities...

thekid
10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Jimmy C-Not sure of the cost of house they called the "Electronic Dream House" but did not see where the 250k was spent but maybe that was the point. A vendor did point out the $400 door locks which used fingerprint recognition but had your standard type of lock not a dead bolt so not sure why someone would pay that kind of cash for a lock that could so easily be defeated. I think you hit it on the head that person who buys these types of houses is probably not as interested in the quality of the systems as much as other factors. As I mentioned the one thing these systems did do was not attract any attention. Other than the occasionally center channel speaker and hidden sub these systems were practically invisible-and provided good sound.

The Tahitijack
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Street of Dreams is an annual summer event in Seattle. Its a collection of very large homes (7,000 SF to 11,000 SF) on large well landscaped/hardscaped lots (4 to 6 acres). Local custom home builders buy a lot and build a home, which is decorated by top designers, a/v companies do the technology which ranges from lights that go on when you enter a pantry to home theater. Admission fees to see walk the street of dreams and these "dream homes" goes to charity. After they are sold the builders contribute a large portion of the profit to charity as well.

Even in the most modest track house models the designer treatments and upgrades can take the "as shown" price up quite a bit over a home on a less attactive lot in plane vanella finish. Gourmet kitchens with Viking appliances, custom paint and wall coverings, Kohler bath suites, and hardwood floors with custom inlays come at a significant added cost. Just as the base price of a car looks great until the options are tacked on at a big cha-ching.