Subwoofer problem? any ideas... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer problem? any ideas...

ironbird01
10-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Aloha Everyone!

I've come across a problem with My M&K M-125 subwoofer. At every setting EXCEPT off or maximum it makes a fluttering/helicopter sound. Is it something I can fix or should I ask M&K directly. Thanks for Your time.

Chris =D

kexodusc
10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Aloha Everyone!

I've come across a problem with My M&K M-125 subwoofer. At every setting EXCEPT off or maximum it makes a fluttering/helicopter sound. Is it something I can fix or should I ask M&K directly. Thanks for Your time.

Chris =D

Hey Chris...

This is a real pickle...First, this fluttering noise - does it sound like it's the woofer itself making it (which leads me to speculate ground loop, or some other interference with the electronics), or maybe a moving piece inside the cabinet? Or possibly a fan on the amplifier? Or stuff in any ports?

And the fluttering sound goes away at maximum? I take that to mean the volume knob is turned to the max point. That's weird - sure it's not just being drowned out by the bass?

Truth is you may be able to fix it yourself once you isolate what the problem is - hard to troubleshoot over the internet, but we can try. However, if you have a dealer nearby, or any warranty left, by all means call M&K support...I don't know your sub model off hand, but most M&K subs I've heard aren't cheap, so I'm guessing we'll want to fix this one way or another. That's good...subs are relatively straightforward.

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Never heard of it before -- you should get a tech to look at it.

The only thing I can suggest is to try it in another system. Do you have a friend or something that also has a system in which you can try it?

jrhymeammo
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
You may want to try it with a different interconnect(if that's how you have it hooked up).
Years ago, I had to haul my 70lb sub by myself to a dealers only to find out my sub-cable was the problem.
Like Kex said, it maybe internal ground that's causing it. That was also my case with the cable.
Wish you best,

-JRA

The Tahitijack
10-01-2006, 01:04 PM
It sounds like something that happened to my M&K a few years ago. I was working near their Culver City HQ so I dropped it off for repair. I believe they said one of the capasitors had blown. I would call M&K customer service, but my guess is you'll be packing it and shipping it to them for repair.

ironbird01
10-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Much Mahalo for the ideas. I'll try to investigate more, Thanks again.