Travel Headphones Suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Travel Headphones Suggestions

thekid
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I now travel a lot and am looking for some headphones for drowning out the aircraft noise and listen to some tunes. I see a lot of Bose out there. I know their speakers don't get LOL around here and I'm not thrilled with their price tag. Anyone know anything about these from Sony MDR-NC6 or have any other suggestions. Not looking to spend too much but want something that will work. Any help is appreciated-thanks!

Mr Peabody
09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I commute on the bus everyday and bought a pair of Sennheiser. I forget the model but they ran around $60.00 and fold up. Two very good points about these headphones for traveling, they seal to your ear very well and keep noise out and they sound very good. They fold and come with a hard shell carry case. However, I've never been able to fold them to wear they would go back into the case. But I'm afraid to break them so I may be overly careful which prevents me from accomplishing the task. They also don't leak sound out either. If you are familiar with Senn's, these portables don't have as big of soundstage or the frequency range of their big brothers but they're a fraction of the price and smaller drivers. These have a very nice bass response if you like a tight deep bass. Of course, this type of description is heavily dependent on what you use to drive them. I listened to them on home equipment and still found the bass to have similar character. In fact, I had to give these about 24 hours of break in before they started sounding right. These aren't "noise cancelling" headphones but when wearing them on a city bus they are capable of keeping out the bus roar and all the other conversations around me. With no music I can hear people but I have to remove the headphones to carry on a conversation with anyone. The larger models of Senns sound incredible to me and are comfortable but they are open air design which leaks sound out and will disturb people around you. I have a pair of 580's for the bedroom and my wife tells me I might as well just listen to the speakers.

bubbagump
09-30-2006, 02:28 PM
the Quiet Comfort 2's are the best I've found for planes and other environments with droning background noise. The 2's are over the ear and probably do a better job than the new 3's which are not over the ear although I haven't compared the two. They work especially well on planes.I probably wouldn't have purchased the 2's if a generous friend hadn't sent me a gift certificate but I'm glad I did. If only they'd cancel out the hacking and snorting post nasal drip victims at work, I'd be even more positive about these.

Fergymunster
09-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I now travel a lot and am looking for some headphones for drowning out the aircraft noise and listen to some tunes. I see a lot of Bose out there. I know their speakers don't get LOL around here and I'm not thrilled with their price tag. Anyone know anything about these from Sony MDR-NC6 or have any other suggestions. Not looking to spend too much but want something that will work. Any help is appreciated-thanks!
Look at the Sennheiser PXC250 or PXC300.Bose is not very good in the headphone department.

Mr Peabody
09-30-2006, 05:06 PM
The headphones I was talking about are the Sennheiser PX-200 and they are $55.00. I don't know if you were looking for something more expensive but these definitely block outside noise, don't bleed out sound and their sound quality is as good as home phones in that price range or higher.

thekid
10-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback so far.
I am going to go out today and try to see if I can test some and see what is out there.

Mr Peabody
10-01-2006, 08:08 AM
If you can't find anything locally, www.crutchfield.com is where I bought mine and they have a 30 day return policy, also www.amusicdirect.com has the same return offer and carry a wide variety of headphones.

Groundbeef
10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I have had problems as well finding a "noise" cancelling headphone as well. I have tried 3 different models. A really cheap pair of JVC that were on clearance for about $17 (down from $50), A low grade model from Sony, and a bit of a higher grade from Sony.

These were all "in" ear, and not around ear. I was very dissapointed with performance of all 3. The last pair I tried were $100 from Sony, and frankly I don't think that they performed better than the clearance. At least in the 3 I tried I think that "noise cancelling" was a misnomer for "we turn up the volume". I didn't really notice a drop in the ambiant noise, just more volume.

I am going to have to try some over-ear models. I think I will have more luck with those. At least in my experience in-ear are a bust.

anamorphic96
10-01-2006, 10:54 AM
The Sennheiser PX 200's that Mr. Peabody talks about are quite good for the money and do a great job at blocking out noise. They also sound damn good for the money. I have used mine for all sorts of travel and at work , and can listen to them for hours on end with complete comfort and no fatique.

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Etymotic ER-6i. They aren't noise-cancelling, but if you get a good seal, the severely attenuate outside noise. To the point where you will be tempted to learn to read lips.

And they are decent without an amp.

Fergymunster
10-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I have had problems as well finding a "noise" cancelling headphone as well. I have tried 3 different models. A really cheap pair of JVC that were on clearance for about $17 (down from $50), A low grade model from Sony, and a bit of a higher grade from Sony.

These were all "in" ear, and not around ear. I was very dissapointed with performance of all 3. The last pair I tried were $100 from Sony, and frankly I don't think that they performed better than the clearance. At least in the 3 I tried I think that "noise cancelling" was a misnomer for "we turn up the volume". I didn't really notice a drop in the ambiant noise, just more volume.

I am going to have to try some over-ear models. I think I will have more luck with those. At least in my experience in-ear are a bust.
I would go to Headphone.com and look at all the choices that are available there.Also in their B-stock catagorey they have the Sennheiser PXC-250 for $109.

dean_martin
10-02-2006, 01:33 PM
We either have or had the following:

Senn PX-100 - people around you can hear, but they're awesome for small, portable headphones - http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/sennheiser-px-100.php

AKG K27i - the ultimate iPod headphone. I haven't spent much time with them because I can't get them away from my son long enough. He likes'em better that the PX100s -
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/akg-k-27i.php

audio_dude
10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
reading your title, drowning out noise is a bad thing, blocking or cancelling noise is what you want to do! so...do you want to shove a piece of comfortable memory foam in your ear? (or those plastic/rubber plug things) or get some headphones that use active cancellation...but only block out droning noises, not talking or other sudden noises...

thekid
10-03-2006, 03:00 PM
reading your title, drowning out noise is a bad thing, blocking or cancelling noise is what you want to do! so...do you want to shove a piece of comfortable memory foam in your ear? (or those plastic/rubber plug things) or get some headphones that use active cancellation...but only block out droning noises, not talking or other sudden noises...

Sorry if I was not clear in my message. I do want to be able to listen to some tunes while traveling not just "blocking noise or I'd do the ear plug thing you mention. I don't have plans on getting an I-pod probably looking for something that will hook into a CD player or digital radio.

nightflier
10-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Shure & Etymotic pretty much rule the roost when it comes to in-ear. I have the Senn PX-250's and they are surprisingly good (bought 2 pairs at AA, great reurn policy as well).

What I don't like about them is the thick-pen-sized battery pack and the fact that they don't fold up very small. For light-packed traveling, that's not really ideal, but if you don't mind the size, then they are excellent.

I sat next to a Bose owner on my last trip and we swapped phones for a few minutes. While the Bose do a better job of isolation, they don't sound as good IMO, although he did not agree (big surprise). I think if you listen to them side-by-side w/o outside noise, you'll find that the Senns are a bit better, but if you factor in the noise isolation, the Bose may be a better value.

I've been intrigued with the Shure EC5's, but I just can bring myself to blow $400+ on something that small.

Mr Peabody
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I could maybe go $400.00 for a good home headphone but really is there any portable source good enough to warrant that quality of a phone? You may have said earlier, but NF what are you using for a source? Do Ipods sound very good? I have yet to hear one. I have not been impressed from so called "digital" sound from my computer and I'd think that MP3's would leave some to be desired. It is amazing though that something the size of a lighter can store so much data and even drive headphones.

nightflier
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Mr.Pea,

I'm using a Rio Forge, about the size of a child's fist. It doesn't do a good job of driving headphones (don't even try to drive full-sized cans with it), but if that's a concern, there are some pretty good portable amps out there (the bithead comes to mind). For home use, I use a Grado headphone amp. It's portable, sort of, but I don't really care to explain to the security check what it is each time I board a plane.

With the noice-cancelling mechanism on my Senns, I have to believe that it also serves as a small amp for the phones.

Dusty Chalk
10-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I could maybe go $400.00 for a good home headphone but really is there any portable source good enough to warrant that quality of a phone? You may have said earlier, but NF what are you using for a source? Do Ipods sound very good? I have yet to hear one. I have not been impressed from so called "digital" sound from my computer and I'd think that MP3's would leave some to be desired. It is amazing though that something the size of a lighter can store so much data and even drive headphones.The iPods sound indeed very good as long as all your downstream components are up to the task. Almost everyone I know who uses an iPod uses them with a dedicated headphone amp of varying qualities. And they try to use the line out (meaning a dock of some sort) rather than the headphone jack.

I don't personally have one, but that's because I'm a cheapskate -- allow me to explain. I got the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 before it was widely known (a) how good the iPod is, and (b) how good its interface is. Not to say that it isn't good -- I'll keep it. But if I had it to do over again, I'd get an iPod today. I just don't feel like doubling the amount I spent on the subject (portable audio) right now.

You can also get an easier to drive pair of headphones. 3 that I am aware of are:

Audio Technica A100Ti (I use this with an M-Audio Sonica without an amp at home -- it sounds better than my internal OEM soundcard at work here with an amp)
Sony MDR-V6/-7506 (I own these, and have used it on the road with a laptop and the aforementioned M-Audio Sonica -- it improves with an amp, but it's certainly adequate without one, if not a little bright [introducing the right amp &&/|| tubes will combat this one foible])
Etymotic ER-6i (my current earphone of choice these days -- sounds wonderful straight out of the CLNJB3 mentioned above)

jrhymeammo
10-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Is it just me or noise-cancelling sets make me nauseated and irratated. It's almost like hearing frequency I cannt hear.

One of my friends has MDR-NC6. It doesnt cancel out noise as well as others I've tried.
I'm happy with my $15 KOSS Spark Plugs on public transportation.

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 03:36 PM
has nayone here traveled recently on a plane? And found out anything new on this subject? I'm fly to Japan on December 15th, and would like to arrive feeling less suicidal/homicidal?

Thanks

JRA

emorphien
11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
I commute on the bus everyday and bought a pair of Sennheiser. I forget the model but they ran around $60.00 and fold up.
Those sound like Sennheiser PX-200s. Let me say they are pretty much worthless on an airplane. My E2cs went back to Shure since they were worn out, and I sorely missed them Tuesday when I flew to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I'm not looking forward to the flight back without my E2cs. The Senns can't isolate your ears well enough, but the Shures can cut out airplane sounds quite effectively so you don't have to turn them up so loud you might go deaf.

The PX-200s work on a bus or train but would be awful on a plane. I ended up giving up on listening to music and just played sudoku on my iriver.

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank you for your input emorphine. That helps me out alot.

emorphien
11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your input emorphine. That helps me out alot.
Although I've only flown with the Shures and haven't listened to other IEMs much, any of the Shures, Etymotics or Ultimate Ears should work fairly well on a plane for you. Just make sure (for example with the Shures) that you try the different fitting pieces to find your best seal. I prefer the yellowish foam.

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Right on Emo, I have this KOSS SparkPlug thingie, and they world pretty good for isolating sound. I was wondering if I would benefit significantly more by using others. Guess I'll do more reaserch,

Thanks again,

JRA

mojam
11-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Never buy any headphones without reading their review on headroom (the best headphone site on the web) headphone.com . Good objective reviews and ratings. Then check around for best prices. One of my favorite discount sites is www.discountheadphones.com. Don't think I'm doing the insert link function right but try these anyone buying headphones and accessories inc. amps.

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2006, 03:04 AM
I like the Etymotic ER-6i. It isolates rather than noise-cancels. In-ear monitors. Good fidelity, does not require a separate amp.

nightflier
11-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, do the Shures & Etymotics benefit from a portable amp or are they pretty easy to drive. I'm going to be sharing my music with my wife and was wondering if a bithead would help? I'm thinking of springing for the e2c's but I'm still reading & learning.

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
The Shure E2c's that I owned definitely sounded much better with an amp. I specified the ER-6i's because they're specifically designed to be driven without an amp, and also because I own a pair that I use without an amp. Etymotic specifically designed this pair for use without an amp (also, the ER-4P). I don't know about other models.

audio_dude
11-27-2006, 04:48 PM
ya, i love my e2c's, but recently, the left phone stopped working, for a while if i fiddled with it enough, it would work, but now its totally dead, any suggestions??

emorphien
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
ya, i love my e2c's, but recently, the left phone stopped working, for a while if i fiddled with it enough, it would work, but now its totally dead, any suggestions??
yes... send it in to shure

jrhymeammo
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
this is off the topic, but be careful with your grado. swivel/cheap design is nice and all, but cables get twisted wayyyyyy too much. If you are not careful you can easily ripout thin copper wires.

jra

emorphien
11-27-2006, 05:45 PM
this is off the topic, but be careful with your grado. swivel/cheap design is nice and all, but cables get twisted wayyyyyy too much. If you are not careful you can easily ripout thin copper wires.

jraYup. I like my Grados but what I really want is to sell them and get some HD650s (or try some other things) and a nice headphone amp.

jrhymeammo
11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I've been trying to get a hold of a vintage STAX SR-40ish for around $100 and mate it with that cheap T-amp. I'm not gonna get it thru ebay so it's been kinda hard.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
yes... send it in to shureSeconded -- Shure has a flat rate repair policy. Go to their site, print the form, send 'em in.

GMichael
11-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Great thread Kid! And great info from everyone. You just helped me pick out a stocking stuffer for the little lady. The Sennheiser PMX 100 got the nod.

emorphien
11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Seconded -- Shure has a flat rate repair policy. Go to their site, print the form, send 'em in.
Apparently either my new or repaired E2cs just arrived at my home. I'll find out when I fly back tomorrow.

audio_dude
11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
nice! ok, i'll print off the form, but from Canada, whats the rate??

emorphien
11-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Just got em back. Brand new E2cs, for free!

audio_dude
12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
ok, sent mine in, i really hope they don't charge me anything (the rep i phoned said it was free to canada) ya, do they just send the phones in? or like a whole new packaged product?

emorphien
12-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I just sent them the phones, in a padded envelope and they sent me a whole new retail package back

jrhymeammo
12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
This wasnt my thread, but I still appreciate all the posts.

I sold a couple of textbooks back, so I ended up purchasing In-Ear Active Noise Canceling buds made by Philips. Model # is SHN2500 for $29.99 at my local Virgin MegaStore so I imagine you can get'em much cheaper online...

It comes with 3 different sized rubber plugs. It looked foam-like, so I made-up my purchase. After opening the case, I found out that they are rubber pieces. I started to freak, cuz the last pair I used use interchangable rubber pieces kept falling out of my ears. Never gotta good fit, so I couldnt get them to produce bass in my canal. But turns out they fit fine. These plugs isolate sound as equal as my KOSS Spark PLugs I have been using. On top of that, it has battery powered noise canceling device. So, all in all it works pretty damn good on the bus and next to fans. So, I dont really know how they'll work on the planes, but I'm guessing it'll be alright.

One thing though, the NC electronic device creates more noise than what I've been used to.

I still become nausiated when I turn the NC swtich on.... guess I gotta train myselft to get used to it. I swear these things are bad for my heart....

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/Pic_143_.jpg

Here is a minor complaint I have with these active/in-ear buds.

Length of wire from earpieces to the ANC box isnt long enough for me to put it in my jeans pocket. Even when I wear a shirt with a chest pocket, wire from that device to my ipod isnt long enough to insert my Ipoo in my pants. It'll be just fine when I'm sitting down, but I can't really use it walking around both hands tied.

JRA

nightflier
12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
JRA,

Both the Shure e3G and the Etymotic ER-6i have decent length cords, but I can see where that would be a problem. By the way, I've been running these through their paces before taking off for a long trip and I must say that they are very similar, sound-wise, with the edge going to the Etymotics, I think. But I am having a hard time with those phalange ear tips. The Shures are more comfortable to my ears. The other minor gripe I have with both is that they don't have in-line volume controls - I know it's petty, but I doubt it would have added much to the price.

By the way, the best price online for these I found at NewEgg. There were a few lower prices from some never-heard-of-'em sites, but I thought I would play it somewhat safe and buy from an authorizes reseller. Shipping was super-fast: 2 days for just $6, probably from a local distribution center.

jrhymeammo
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you Nightflier, I always appreciate your advice.

Shure and Etymotic are tempting, but I think I would rather buy a nice set of cans. For walking around town, my KOSS Sparkplugs will do just fine, and my newly acquire Philips will be good enough for the trip I'll be taking this friday.

Thanks again,

JRA

RGA
12-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I am going to plug a cheap headphone system that actually sounds good -- not perfect but nothing is.

First with regards to headphone amps - I have been very pleased for nearly a year with the Total Bithead headphone amp. This amp is also a digital to analog converter and has USB inputs so you can listen to music and bypass the crud inside the computer. It also runs off the power of your computer or takes 4 AAA batteries. Has two headphone jacks - really it's as good or better than several other head amps I've tried and it's hugely portable.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/headroom-total-bithead.php

Headphones - I recently bought a pair of AKG 26p cans and I am afraid to overstate the performance but I find them musically engaging which is surprising for such a low price.

The are about $40.00 - they cut out noise exceptionally well and have tremendoue bass for such tiny cans. They are rolled off in the treble slightly but tha is not a bad thing given that they are probably going to be used with MP3 recordings. Midrange is clear on vocals - somewhat recessed but clear and engaging. Midbass can be over the top and the bass in general leans warn and wooly over tight and snappy. Still, the combinatin works very well to make a musically satisfying end result and given that they are sealed, fold up very nicely and are priced attractively - it's tough to go wrong. They will like rock/pop/dance/rap best.

They have a bit of vice grip on the ears which presses my glasses fairly strong so it's better for people with no glasses. http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/akg-k-26-p.php

And rather than the Ipod I would look at what Sandisk is doing. I have a Sandisk e100 and for the life of me I don't understand paying so much more money for a machine that does so much LESS and has an idiotic proprietary battery. The e100 no doubt way out of date accepts SD cards up to 2 gigs plus the 512mb internal. It has a video display in two colours with artist track listing, several sound modes with an equalizer bass enhancements and SRS WOW which is pretty effective at creating ambiance for pop like music. No disc required to load mp3's to the thing either -- it is dead easy to operate as it functions like a flash hard drive. Also it takes one AAA battery for about 17 hours of use. And itran me $80.00.

The AKG above needs no headphone amp either - so without it you're looking at about $120.00 for the whole thing. The Sandisk somes with those special in-ear headphones and you'll want to dump those -- I don;t understand their appeal -- the bass is appaling and they don;t live up to the supposed superior comfort.

audio_dude
12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
ok, just got back from relatives house to see what, but a package for me! from shure! amazing! so i grabbed it, took it inside and opened it to find a whole new retail package! i love these guys! i'm going to break out the stationary and write these guys a nice letter, service like this deserves to be complimented!

thekid
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all for your info and time in responding to my original thread.

Unfortunately I had limited options in my area and went cheap getting a pair of Sony Noise-Canceling Folding Headphones MDRNC6 for about $44 in part because I got a gift certificate for the story selling them. The reviews I have read are mixed. I have tried them with my Sansa MP3 player and the SQ is pretty good. I have not had a chance to try the noise-cancelling feature but will be flying again in Feb and will provide an update after seeing how they perform on the play.

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 10:05 PM
The one got by Philips made my 12 hour flight an absolute joy. I storngly recommned it for someone who often takes long flights. Sound quality? Good enough and not bright so I listened to music for hours. It`s a noisy environement so whota hell cares.

JRA

nightflier
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
After having flown four times with both the Shure e3g and the Etymotics ER-6i, I will amend my original post and say that the Etymotics are way better that the Shures and also cost less. I also tried all the different plug types until I found the ones that made the best sea - again, the Etymotics won out. The sound is clearer and offers a much more even frequency range that the Shures. The Shures are still OK - especially in the bass where the over emphasis of deep bass can be fun for games and organ music, but what they do not do as well is the mid-range and the treble. If you're still debating on which in-ears to buy, I heartily recommend the Etymotics.

(and no, I don't work for the company)

Dusty Chalk
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
This is unamplified, correct? The Shures benefit from quality amplification, but I agree, the Ety's are better.

nightflier
01-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, unamplified. I've contemplated buying a bithead, but I like traveling light (hence the in-ears). I should probably give them a run with my Grado RA1 amp, just to be fair to both, but I don't know if that will do much aside from improving on the bass, which the Shures already do better at than the Etymotics. Am I correct in this assumption?

Dusty Chalk
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
You should try getting a better seal -- I found the Ety's had better bass unamplified. Amplified, they came out to about the same (IIRC).

"To be fair" -- who cares? I don't blame you for traveling light, I came to the same conclusion. Ety's amplified only fine-tuned how good they were, whereas with the Shure's they made a significant improvement. Is it worth it? I don't know, I like the Ety's, I'm happy with them. I know other people who prefer the Shures' midrange, but they're not me, so I can't defend their opinion.

Also, I don't know how much of an improvement the Bithead would give -- the lowest of the line that I heard is the Micro, IIRC.

nightflier
01-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I tried both headphones with my own amp at home (albeit with a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adapter). The results were pretty much the same, but a little, just a little less pronounced than one th plane. I don't know if the lack of background hum had anything to do with that. Could also be my expectations, the adapter, the mood I was in, or the food I ate, who knows. Still, for my money, I'll choose the Etymotics over the Shures.

I should mention that neither headphone holds a candle to my AKG 701's, my current reference. Of course, they are the polar opposite of "portable" - I might as well trade in my rollerblades for some good old roller skates, if I'm going to be wearing those outdoors.

Fritz
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I recently bought Shure's E3Gs. When I send the e3g's back to Shure, most likely from a broken cord(it always happens eventually), do I just send the headphones, or do I include the little case, the extra fitting pieces, etc? Will they really replace them for you when the wires break? I think thats such a great thing! And do they charge anything for replacing them? I just realised I could probably find the info on their website, but I'm generally impaired when it comes to navigating websites to find something specific!

Dusty Chalk
01-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Yeah, repair is just a flat fee, I don't remember what it is, but someone in this thread went through it -- just find the form, download it, fill it out, send in with the earphones (the instructions will tell you whether or not to send anything else) with a check, and several weeks later, voila! All is good.

nightflier
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Fritz,

How did you like the sound on the E3Gs?

Fritz
01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Overall I think they are very nice and clear with a bit too much upper midrange. The bass is definitely there, its good enough for me (I like the pliable rubber fittings, they give a very decent seal and its much easier/faster to insert than the yellow foam. My use for them involves short usage periods, so thats why. Also the yellow turned to brownish-stickyness. Back on topic!) Maybe something like....the sound of a snare drum - would sound a little harsh and tinny, but not enough to make me not use them anymore. It might be the resonance of the ear canal space closed in by the headphone. I also find that you can change the sound because once the earphone is sealed onto the ear, if you push it in past the point where it would naturally rest, it creates suction that muffles the midrange.

Overall, with all my ranting aside, they are clear sounding, but there is a bit too much midrange and not quite enough bass.

nightflier
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Overall, with all my ranting aside, they are clear sounding, but there is a bit too much midrange and not quite enough bass.

Not enough bass? Then you probably wouldn't like the Etymotics. And the E3Gs are the "bassy" version of the E3Cs. Interesting...

Fritz
01-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Not enough bass? Then you probably wouldn't like the Etymotics. And the E3Gs are the "bassy" version of the E3Cs. Interesting...

Well, I suppose I'm one of those people who likes the bass turned way higher than it's supposed to be...

Most of the songs that I like that have a substantial amount of bass only have it for a second-like the title screen music for Starcraft, for example. I've wondered how the Etymotics would compare to the e3's for me ever since I got these e3g's. I also wonder how the e2's sound compares. It's hard to actually find a place where you can compare them all via actually listening to them. I dont have a car, so I cant get around.

I also thought I heard from somewhere that the G version only differs in color from the C version. Just putting it out there!

Fritz
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I listened to the e2g's for a bit. A friend happened to have a pair. They have noticebly more bass than the e3g's. I didn't listen long enough to determine how refined it was or anything (and I'll admit, I'm still trying to train my ears for hearing details like that). One other thing that I kept noticing is that compared to the e3g, the mid range is much more laid back, and details in the highs are harder to distingush. Based on my short session with them, if I had decided to buy them instead of the e3's, I would have still been pleased. I like the way they feel on the ear more than the e3g.

thekid
02-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I thought I would update this thread as promised after taking a trip using the
Sony MDRNC6 Noise Canceling Headphones. Despite the great advice supplied by all on this thread I cheaped out and bought these Sony's because I had a gift card in hand.

Well long story short I should have used the gift card to get a pair of Insignia speakers before they raised the price...

I recently traveled by jet with my seat right behind the wing where jet engine noise is usually the worst so perhaps no headphone could have meet this test. Anyway I listened to several pieces by Handel. The Sony's did a fairly decent job of handling the mids and highs though at high volume the horns playing were at times shrill. The bass was weak and on occasion was washed out by the jet noise. The ear pieces are made of thin foam which I am afraid over time will probably tear or come apart from the headset. The headset was not particularly comfortable and you were aware of it because of the hard plastic feel to it. While I have not tried cheaper headphones I find it hard to figure where Sony spent the money on these headphones. On a 1-5 scale I would rate this a 2.

Thanks again to all who submitted advice to my thread and I will start looking for a replacement to these when I have the next opportunity.

Dusty Chalk
02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for checking back in, even a negative review is useful (to the next poor schmuck who gets stuck next to the engine).

BTW, Ety's make this tolerable. Go Ety next time.

audio_dude
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't know about etymonics, but I ended up getting Shure e2c's (mostly cause the closest ety dealer was 4 hours drive away...)

but, i compared them to the e2g's, and wow, what a difference... the e2g's are bass heavy, muddy, and shrill on the highs...YUCK! (you all know how much i HATE shrill highs...right?)

My e2c's broke a couple months ago (connection to right earphone failed...) so i downloaded the form, put "under warranty, purchased august 2006" and sent 'em in...

(oh, btw, to one of the old questions, when you send them back to get replaced, JUST send in the earphones, they send you back a whole new retail package!)

yeh, so 2 weeks later a box lands on my front porch...from...SHURE!!! i open it to find...A WHOLE NEW RETAIL PACKAGE!!! all the accesories again! (to replace the ones I lost :P)

Dusty Chalk
02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
...the e2g's are bass heavy, muddy, and shrill on the highs...Yeah, but that would work with HT and gaming.

audio_dude
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but that would work with HT and gaming.

yeah, i'm not saying they're bad for that... but for music, they're CRAP...

nightflier
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
The E2Gs are still a big step up from what they include with the iPod. I know two other people who bought them as an upgrade, and they like them a lot. Of course, they haven't heard the Etymotics, and I'm pretty sure the E3Gs are a bit better, but the E2Gs should still be a big improvement.

Dusty Chalk
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they are. The E2c's are also better than the E2g's, or that's the word on the street.

Fergymunster
02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
I tried both headphones with my own amp at home (albeit with a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adapter). The results were pretty much the same, but a little, just a little less pronounced than one th plane. I don't know if the lack of background hum had anything to do with that. Could also be my expectations, the adapter, the mood I was in, or the food I ate, who knows. Still, for my money, I'll choose the Etymotics over the Shures.

I should mention that neither headphone holds a candle to my AKG 701's, my current reference. Of course, they are the polar opposite of "portable" - I might as well trade in my rollerblades for some good old roller skates, if I'm going to be wearing those outdoors.
So you finally settled on the AKG 701.Great choice as I've recently purchused them.There better than my Senn HD 650 with Cardas cable and that's saying alot.Enjoy

compaqguy
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I always sit near the engines. This is because I know it is the least wanted seat in the plane. I also own a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 2's, and dearly love them. They make the trip more than bearable, and the sound quality is good enough that I use them for my primary phones. This really is a great step in the right direction for Bose as well as sound is concerned, and feel that they are more than worth the price.

jrhymeammo
03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Window seats are nice, but I always end up resting my head on the side panels. Now, that's loud.

compaqguy
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
This really is a great step in the right direction for Bose as well as sound is concerned, and feel that they are more than worth the price.

OOPS... Typo there... I meant that it it is a great step in the right direction as FAR as SQ goes...

sorry

s_d_gilchrist
04-24-2007, 04:27 AM
Most here are talking about Shures and Bose products. Bose for me has never met the sound test. I have a factory Bose system in my Infiniti, and it sounds just fine. Car audio can never be good sound because of the limitations of the genre. A perfect environment for the Bose philosophy of using electronic signal manipulation to cover up the shortcomings of inferior speaker components. However, the Levinson gear in Lexus is much better from the start, requiring much less EQ to get the sound right. To my mind, anyone who willingly spends his money on a Bose product deserves the mediocrity he's going to get.

Shure has proven its value in the plug market, and virtually every electric performer out there owns a set of Shure ear monitors. They are truly the best at keeping out extraneous noise and feeding a direct signal. This quality makes them excellent plane plugs.

But I've found, after steadily increasing my budget for Shure plugs, that my good old Ety ER4s sound as good as the best Shures. Not bad for a pair of $150 plugs. Yes, it's nice to have a separate amplifier for them, and I have a very nice homebuilt that uses 2 9v batts to supply the juice. It does help, but it's not absolutely necessary. All my Shure plugs sound thin without sufficient voltage to drive them properly (that's why I have this little amp). The Ety's sound better with the amp, but their sound is much more satisfying straight out of the Zen jack than the sound of the Shures.

Not carrying a separate amp with its accompanying wire makes the difference for me, especially in high-noise environments. The Shures do a bit better job at sealing out exterior noise. But I found the extra-long Ety ear nibs really work well with my head, and provide a better seal for me than I can get with the ones that come with the phones. And you can buy them by the gross for next to nothing.

Bottom line: now I've got a tiny player I really like in the Zen V Plus, no need for an external amp, very good external noise seal, and great quality plugs--in the most portable package ever. If you want the best combo of extreme portability and isolation from external noise, you've just found it in your own portable player and the Etymotic ER4.

nightflier
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Wow, this thread is still alive. I'll add a little bit more myself.

Everyone usually talks about isolation on planes, but I've found that they are just as useful in cars. We took another trip up the bay area (6-8 hour drive, depending on the little one), and while my wife was driving, I reclined the seat, plugged in the Etymotics and it was like I was somewhere else. Our car is fairly well insulated, but now even the whisper of the wind drag was gone.

I should also add a little about the Etymotics & bass. Now that I've had some good opportunities to compare them with the Shures, both with & without an amp, I can say that the bass on the Etymotics is really what is standing out to my ears. It is not as heavy, as previously mentioned, to be sure, but it is clearer, more punchy and crisp. I was listening to everything from Beethoven to Tool and must say that these little ear buds sound truly amazing. The Shures do seem at first to have bigger, deeper bass, but it is slightly more muddy and indistinct. The frequencies just above it are also affected by this and the Etymotics really let me hear more of the upper bass and lower mids than did the Shures. So no, the Etymotics maybe don't have as much bass as the Shures, but it is more punchy and visceral and certainly more to my liking. Of course, this also begins to bleed into the issue of sound preference, and maybe this is where my comparison should end, but for me, the Etymotics are truly amazing technology - so small, and yet still able to bring so much to the table.

Fritz
04-26-2007, 07:24 AM
So guess what?!

My e3g's BROKE! damnit.
Not even the cord, just what I deserve for finally expecting the cord to be the first to go. As anyone with a shure IEM knows, the headphone is made of 2 parts, the back with the driver and wire, and the front part with the tube that goes in your ear. The tube part cracked and came off the driver part while I was removing it from my ear. I guess the suction from the rubber piece tore it off.

So I'm off to the Shure website, I am going to get new ones.

I suppose now is a good time to mention, when I first bought them, I did notice that the pieces were not completely attached all the way. There was a little gap where it wasnt slid on all the way. That is where it broke. D'OH!

bonethugz
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
there are a few things i want to reply, first, the difference between the shure c version and the g version is exactly the same sound wise. the g version has a longer cable and it's all black in color.

the shure has a new line. i tried e2c and e3c before. i didn't like it at all. i read some good reviews about the new se210, se310. i'm going to get one later this month, or next month.

as for ety. it's know for it's good high. and very detail mids and tight bass. what i mean tight bass is good clean bass with going bassy or boomy.

one suggestion. if you want more bass than ety but not too much bass, try ultimate ears super fi 3 or some westone.

Fritz, i read shure has great customer service. drop them a mail and see what they can offer.
audio_dude, i think you need to try some ety if you can take shrill highs from my experience, er6 and er4s need an amp. er6i or er4p don't need one but will sound better with an amp.

nightflier
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but headphone amps make a big difference. My whole experience has been with amps that are under $500, but I was at a friend's house this weekend and he's a DJ. He has a number of amps, but the one he likes the most is the HeadRoom Home Balanced Amp. I had my Etymotics in the car, so I got a chance to try them out (albeit with adapters) on a much higher-end amp. I must say, I heard more detail than I ever heard before and it sounded fuller, too, w/o loosing the detail, which for me is a big plus. Even my the MP3s in my own player sounded better, although the best result were from the turntables.

Now I'm not about to spend $3K on a headphone amp anytime soon (for him it's a tax-write off), but it was quite intriguing to find this out.

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow. Some great information on this thread. After doing some research I just bought a set of Shure E2Cs. But now that I'm listening to them, I love the crisp detail on the high and mid ranges but I'm a little disappointed in the bass. I stopped by this forum just to see whether there was any useful info here and found this thread which is exactly what I was looking for.

Based on your previous discussions, it sounds like the Shures are a good choice for me. I'll play with the ear pieces and my iPod EQ a bit and see if I can get a tighter fit to boost the bass. But the thing that's really impressed me is the customer service that you've all recieved from Shure. I might be able to improve the sound marginally with another brand (I'm using these for my iPod, so I'm only gonna get so much improvement anyway), but it's worth having a little softer bass (and probably healthier for my ear too) to know that Shure will stand behind their product if I have any problems.

Although, I must say that it's just a little concerning that so many of you have had broken Shures. Perhaps they have a quality issue?

nightflier
05-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Although, I must say that it's just a little concerning that so many of you have had broken Shures. Perhaps they have a quality issue?

I'm going to guess here that many people do the same thing I do when I'm lazy, and pull the earphones out by the wires, which is especially bad with phones that are supposed to make a "tight seal" in the ear canal (probably not good for my ears either). And then there's the occasional yanking when the wires get caught on something. It's all just bad habits learned from when we were using regular earbuds, I suppose, although paying $175 for a pair of earphones does make me pause a little longer before I pull them out like that. Of course, with such great service, that's less of a fear too.

audio_dude
05-27-2007, 11:10 AM
yep, totally agreed

my broke cause a friend was whirling them around by the wires... arg.

ah well, shure techsupport was amazing, i had a rep in a minute and a half. and they even fixed it for free, with shipping to canada included! didn't even need a receipt!