Proud New Owner!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Proud New Owner!!!!

superpanavision70mm
09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey anyone listening or reading...

Today is a very happy day for me (similar to when Florian got his new GRANDS) because I am the official new owner of a pair of PSB Platinum T6's that have been a dream of mine for many many many months!

Here's a look...

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/pics/psb_t6.jpg

Also, I would love to hear some recommendations on powering these babies!

Groundbeef
09-29-2006, 06:27 AM

Today is a very happy day for me (similar to when Florian got his new GRANDS) because I am the official new owner of a pair of PSB Platinum T6's that have been a dream of mine for many many many months!

Here's a look...

Wow, very impressive. Enjoy them.

superpanavision70mm
09-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks! I have been pondering this for a long long time and the moment finally came. I had been debating back and forth over whether to go with the Platinum T8 or the T6 and then I also had the option of getting a used pair of the Gold i's, but I really wanted a new pair and I really wanted something from the Platinum line. So I gave it more thought and then I auditioned both the T6 and the T8 and was completely blown away by both even under identically setups. Sure the T8 is a bit more powerful, but it wasn't worth the extra $2000 and for my size room the T6 will deliver just fine.

I am expected them to be arriving next week and I hope to take a few days to get them set up and really experiment around with various amplification. My initial idea is to power each tower with a Parasound Halo A 23, since I already own 1 and then long-term I'd love to be able to get a Classe amp to power them.

ericl
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
NICE!! Congrats man, I would love to hear them. I am happy today too, Pioneer just delivered a brand new 42" Plasma for review!! I am stoked, although I only get to keep it a few weeks..

Congrats man! Are you going to power it with tubes or solid state?

anamorphic96
09-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Since your picking up another A23 you could do a passive bi-amp set up. This should really open them up nicely. Especially with bass control.

superpanavision70mm
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Here is what I was thinking...

I could use my current setup with my Pioneer Elite serving as my pre-amp and then going left and right out with both the left and right going to separate Parasound Halo A23's. Each amp could then go left and right out and I could use that to bi-amp/bi-wire each T6.

Does anyone think that would be the best solution?

anamorphic96
09-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Thats sounds like it would do the trick. Or just use one to do strictly left and one strictly doing right. Which is typically the way things are set up in theatres. One channel does the lows and the other channel does the highs.

Or you could sell them and step into an A21. :ihih:

superpanavision70mm
10-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Stepping up to the A21 would definitely be a great thing, but only short-term. Long term I really want to get 2 Classe monoblocks, but that's not going to happen until I get some serious cash together. So perhaps the A21 would be a good termporary fit.

JohnMichael
10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Congratulations they are beautiful. I am sure they sound as beautiful as they look.

superpanavision70mm
10-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, there is no doubt that they are beautiful, but the sound is incredible. When I demoed these awhile back I was also listening to some other speakers that were priced 2-4x as much and I still kept coming back to these. I couldn't afford something 4x their price anyway, so it's a great thing when you are able to get something that sounds as good as something that is about $20-$25,000. This is not to say that the speakers that do cost that much have anything to worry about, but the PSB design is sheer genius. I liked these even compared to the B&W 800 series, like the 803d. I even liked them as much as the Tyler Acoustics Woodmere. They were far superior to any of the Def Tech stuff that I tried as well and I even checked out the Thiel CS1.6, but kept coming back to the T6.

These will serve as my main speakers for a long time ....until I replace them one day with the Gryphon Poseidon Speaker System, but that won't happen until I have over $140,000 to blow!!!

bobsticks
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
...on the new speaks! I have not heard those units but I have read highly complimentary reviews on them. Most are praising them as strong preformers regardless of price point.
As an aside, my audio store of choice carries Classe separates. Very nice stuff. I'm sure that will ultimately be a nice pairing.

Enjoy

superpanavision70mm
10-03-2006, 02:52 AM
I have heard a few combinations of PSB w/ Classe over the last few months/years. It's like a perfect match in the cases that I have heard. I've mainly heard the PSB Stratus line driven by Classe monoblocks and WOW did it ever make the Stratus' sing! Interestingly enough I have never quite heard them the same with other amplification. For those that play guitar it was kinda like playing a Gibson through a Marshall stack, which has always been a dynamic duo and an famous pairing.

My hope is that Platinum's will also get the same treatment if driven by Classe, but I will further have to test that out to make sure. In the meantime I will be experimenting with different combinations.

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
This is Superpanavision70mm here....I had to change my name and re-register since no one would get back to me when I contacted AR about system problems with my account.

PeruvianSkies
10-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Hello Everyone. I got my new T6's and have spent the better part of 2 days listening through my entire CD collection, SACD's, and a few DVD's.

Withhout going into too much hype let me just say that I am in a new dimension of music appreciation. The T6's offer a new third dimension to sound that I have never before experienced within my home. They sound far better than they did at the dealer when I checked them out awhile back. It didn't take too long for them to quickly become adjusted to my room and after a few tweaks here and there..they are right at home!

Clarity is completely redefined for me. I am hearing more nuances and feeling the music much more. Even more amazing is that when I close my eyes I can place each instrument perfectly within the 3-D soundfield, which is super wide and deep. I had a friend over who never heard as wide of a soundfield before and he has produced and done some studio recording in his life.

Needless to say I am quite happy and overwhelmed with joy from this incredible achievement from the PSB company.

I have listening to dozens and dozens of speakers over the years, but these are one of the few that completely disappear in the room.

Ok, back to some more listening!!!!

amandela77
10-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm envious brother!!!

From what I've read, the T6s represent a great addition to your system. I'm considering purchasing a pair to replace my venerable but decidely out-of-date Epos ES22s. I first heard the stand-mounted PSB M2s a while back, and came away from that audition favorably impressed. In the small audition room, the M2s sounded phenomenal. Although I could detect a subtle hint of tweeter brightness, this was coupled to a trully marvelous overall balance, with surprising weight and tonal richness for a relatively small speaker, plus geat coherence. Obviously, PSB has lavished considerable care on the crossover and overall design parameters in order to achieve the M2's superior sound.

However, becasue I have a large 18 x 30 listening room, I thought the the T6s made more sense than the M2s. Problem is, the dealer had no T6s in stock so I have to wait until next week to land an audition.

My fear is that the larger speaker may lack the coherence of its smaller sibling. I certainly found this to be the case with the ES22 over the smaller ES11 and 12s when I upgraded six years ago. While I would not trade the ES22s superior dynamic range, deep bass response and transient quickness for that of the smaller models, the ES22s soundstaging never gelled liked the smaller speakers.

Any thoughts on what to expect from the larger PSB T6s v. the M2s?

BTW, my current system consists of the following components:

Aragon 28K Mk 2 pre-amp
Parasound A23 power amp
CEC 5100Z TL CD player (used as a dedicated transport)
Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3
Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Buffer
Rega 25 Turntable
Grado Statement Son. cart.
Grade phono stage
Kimber Cable Hereo Interconnect
PS Audio Ref. speaker cables (bi-wire version)
Salamander racks
Monster Cable line conditioner

Like yourself, I envision some minor and major upgrades over the next year or so following the purchase of a new pair of speakers. A Musical Fidelity X- series power supply unit would appear to be mandatory. Additionally, I plan on upgrading the amp/pre combo. I find the idea of a Musical Fidelity A 308 pre/Parasound A 21 pairing attractive, but I might extend the budget a bit and opt for a used pair of Parasound JC 1s if the price is right.

Does anyone have thoughts on the compatability of the Musical Fidelity and Parasound Halo brands in the amp/pre realm? Do these hypothetical upgrades represent a good match for the PSB T6s?

Good listening!!

PeruvianSkies
10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
YEAH! Thanks for the great response about my new speakers. I've had them 3 weeks now and I continue to love them more and more as I make subtle adjustments and as they break in a bit more to the room.

For your larger room you may even want to check out the T-8, which is the speaker I wanted, but was a bit 'too much' for the size of my room and so the T-6 worked beautiful and I am glad I made that choice.

I think that Parasound and PSB make for a great match, but not nearly as superb as the Classe monoblocks that I have heard driving a few years ago a pair of the Stratus Gold's and then more recently driving a pair of T-8's. It's a superb matchup indeed! Although I must confess I would be curious to see how the T-6 sounds when driven by Parasounds monoblocks as a comparison.

To finally answer your question...

I noticed an amazing amount of brightness with the T-6 and adjusted my room to help alleviate some of the 'in your face' sound, but still keep the integrety in the level of clarity and detail. I am actually more impressed with the T-6's upper mid range more than anything and I think that might be the biggest advantage over the M2's. I have not listened to a pair of those in quite some time and I can't exactly recall their sound, although I do remember being amazed as the transparency from such a small speaker.

I am also equally impressed with the huge soundfield and soundstage that the T6 demonstrates and it's defintely one of the best i've heard in it's price and even upwards of 2X it's price range before you start getting a little better. The genius behind these speakers is definitely in it's crossover performance and it's amazing level of sonicness, but also a musicality that is hard to find in speakers that are true to the source as well.

Please keep me posted on your audition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3db
10-25-2006, 04:51 AM
I'm envious brother!!!

From what I've read, the T6s represent a great addition to your system. I'm considering purchasing a pair to replace my venerable but decidely out-of-date Epos ES22s. I first heard the stand-mounted PSB M2s a while back, and came away from that audition favorably impressed. In the small audition room, the M2s sounded phenomenal. Although I could detect a subtle hint of tweeter brightness, this was coupled to a trully marvelous overall balance, with surprising weight and tonal richness for a relatively small speaker, plus geat coherence. Obviously, PSB has lavished considerable care on the crossover and overall design parameters in order to achieve the M2's superior sound.

However, becasue I have a large 18 x 30 listening room, I thought the the T6s made more sense than the M2s. Problem is, the dealer had no T6s in stock so I have to wait until next week to land an audition.

My fear is that the larger speaker may lack the coherence of its smaller sibling. I certainly found this to be the case with the ES22 over the smaller ES11 and 12s when I upgraded six years ago. While I would not trade the ES22s superior dynamic range, deep bass response and transient quickness for that of the smaller models, the ES22s soundstaging never gelled liked the smaller speakers.

Any thoughts on what to expect from the larger PSB T6s v. the M2s?

BTW, my current system consists of the following components:

Aragon 28K Mk 2 pre-amp
Parasound A23 power amp
CEC 5100Z TL CD player (used as a dedicated transport)
Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3
Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 Tube Buffer
Rega 25 Turntable
Grado Statement Son. cart.
Grade phono stage
Kimber Cable Hereo Interconnect
PS Audio Ref. speaker cables (bi-wire version)
Salamander racks
Monster Cable line conditioner

Like yourself, I envision some minor and major upgrades over the next year or so following the purchase of a new pair of speakers. A Musical Fidelity X- series power supply unit would appear to be mandatory. Additionally, I plan on upgrading the amp/pre combo. I find the idea of a Musical Fidelity A 308 pre/Parasound A 21 pairing attractive, but I might extend the budget a bit and opt for a used pair of Parasound JC 1s if the price is right.

Does anyone have thoughts on the compatability of the Musical Fidelity and Parasound Halo brands in the amp/pre realm? Do these hypothetical upgrades represent a good match for the PSB T6s?

Good listening!!

Those pups can really punch out the sound, bass too. But in a bigger room, they may lose some compsure trying to play loud and fill the room with full range sound. Now if you decided to augment them with a sub, then these speakers would have no problems filling that room.

3db
10-25-2006, 04:59 AM

Here's a look...

Nice to see something other than Paradigm being purchased *chuckles*

Another company that makes formidable amplifiers are Simaudio and they are also Canadian. Have you auditioned them yet?

DrJ 1
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM

Here's a look...

I noticed you live in Pittsburgh. Where did you purchase your PSB. I've been having difficult time finding anyone who has them in stock to Demo. DR. J

PeruvianSkies
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Hello...I live in Robinson Twp near the Pittsburgh Airport. I heard PSB through Listening Post out near Monroeville, but lately they have been carrying stuff like B&W, just like everyone else...yawn.

I purchased my speakers through DMC-ELECTRONICS...it's the only online authorized PSB dealer that I am aware of!

2325fan
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
look for an older model marantz they crank im runnin a model #2325 quarter volume my eard r deaf !!!!!!!

amandela77
10-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Peruvian Skies:

During my recent quest to audition a pair of PSB T6s, I noticed something very strange for a city the size of Chicago, with its broad selection of high-end dealers and speakers. Not one of the local dealers that carries the PSB brand whom I contacted actually stocks the T6s or the T8s. Most of them stock high-priced offerings from other manufacturers, but they claim they can't move the larger Platinum models because listeners have no interest in them.

A close friend has offered another explanantion. He opines that many of these so-called super-speakers, including some models in the 8-12K range, would likely sound no better and would certainly not outclass, the larger but still cost-effective models in the Platinium line. As he explained, if I heard the T6 or the T8 next to an exotic 12K competitor and determined that the PSBs sounded as good, the dealer wouldn't be selling many of the higher priced exotics, speakers that are veritable cash cows for dealers.

Granted, many high-end exotics are worth every penny. The Maggie 20.1s, the Wilson Audio Sophia 2s... But many high end speakers cost so much because the manufacturer doesn't enjoy basic economies of scale. PSB (or Thiel or B & W) can market speakers in the 4-5K range that would cost a less efficient manufacturer 8-10K, maybe more. Savvy designers like Albert Von Schweikert have outsourced the construction of his speakers overseas where labor is cheap. Even still, VSA's MSR price structure for its latest models has jumped through the roof.

As for me, it looks like I'll be placing a phone call to the good folks over at DMC Electronics after all.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

PeruvianSkies
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Amandella....

When I made my decision to go with PSB's Platinum line I kept hearing voices from other audio-junkies recommending all sorts of stuff. To them, the fact that the PSB Platinum's are under 5K meant that I could do much better if I were so inclined. Yeah.

Well, facts on paper and facts to my ears are two different things. PSB is a clear winner in so many levels and it's unbelievable to me how so many people are uninclined to give them the respect that they deserve. I suppose to me the PSB name is kinda like the Honda of automobiles. You get a high quality car at half the price as the rest of the market. Not only that, but PSB offers a little something for everyone, just like Honda. You can easily get a decent Civic or upgrade and get a fully loaded Accord.

So it's no surprise to me that more places do not carry PSB products simply because they wouldn't be able to sell anything about 5K until they started carrying some of the super-high-end products that are over 15K. It's sad that this has to be the case because PSB has always kept their prices low to attract customers, but it would seem that going through a dealer just isn't the best route. I noticed that the local audio shop near me also started carrying less and less of the PSB's, but their business is suffering too!

PS. You might have to make a trip to Pittsburgh to demo mine!!! haha.

amandela77
10-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Per. Skies:

Where did you get your T6s?

Amandela77

PeruvianSkies
10-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Yep. DMC! Great service too!