HELP !! I have a Ohm problem.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! I have a Ohm problem....

swwdts
09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I have bought a 4 ohm subwoofer for my HT & it can only support an 8 ohm load.Can it be wired to 8ohms???

Dusty Chalk
09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Not usually. So we're talking an unpowered sub? That's unusual. Does your HT have a powered sub out? Perhaps you can just buy a monoblock amp, and hook it up that way.

kexodusc
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah...I wouldn't run a subwoofer off a receiver especially if other speakers are connected. The sub doesn't have it's own amp?
what sub is it?

swwdts
09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
My powered subs RCA plugs got broken & the spider had a hole so,I took the old subwoofer & broken amp off of the down firing box & put them in the trash.The owners manual had this in it.subwoofer 80 watts @ 8 ohms,100 watts @ 4 ohms.the ols sub did not list the ohm load & being a powered subwoofer I thought it should be 4 ohms.It was actually 8.I put in the 4 ohm sub & my Kenwood rec. only allows 8 ohms.Can I buy something to make it become an 8 ohm load or should I throw the CHEAP($ 150.00) 4 ohm sub away? Thanks to all that reply!

Dusty Chalk
09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Well...you could put another hole in the subwoofer box and put a second 4 ohm sub in series (perhaps at a 90 degree angle to the first?)...

Alternatively, yes, replace it with an 8 ohm driver. But don't throw it away -- sell it for $75 on eBay...at least you'll recoup half the dosh that you sunk into it.

swwdts
09-29-2006, 12:14 AM
I am going to buy a Pioneer 10" 8 ohm subwoofer for it from Parts Express for $ 80.00. Thank you for your reply!

markw
09-29-2006, 05:16 AM
You had a powered sub in a box.
The speaker was damaged so you tossed it.
The amp's RCS plugs were damaged so you tossed it also.
This left you with an empty box.
You went out and bought a subwoofer (driver only) for $150 to put in the box.

For that same $150, you could have bought this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635

swwdts
09-29-2006, 05:41 PM
I looked at it last week & thought it may be junk. The one that I had,the salesman who sold it to me at H & H Gregg said it was a great subwoofer.I am in the process of moving now & I will buy a Sony 12" passive subwoofer for $ 250.00 at BestBuy once I have everything taken care of.

N. Abstentia
09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
I looked at it last week & thought it may be junk. The one that I had,the salesman who sold it to me at H & H Gregg said it was a great subwoofer.I am in the process of moving now & I will buy a Sony 12" passive subwoofer for $ 250.00 at BestBuy once I have everything taken care of.

All I can say is...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

Why not just buy that $150 POWERED sub that markw pointed to? You're going about this backwards.

swwdts
09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
I know a little about the Sony brand.I know nothing about Daytons subwoofer or how they sound.Everything I already own is Sony & Pioneer.

N. Abstentia
09-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Well I'll educate you.

The Sony is pure crap and the Dayton will destroy it. That's pretty much all you need to know for now.

The Sony doesn't even have an AMP IN IT. NO AMP. NONE. So add another $250 to the cost for a subwoofer amp and you're up to $500 and you're still stuck with a crappy Sony.

You would think a self professed 'dts geek' would care a little bit about quality and avoid Sony!

basite
09-30-2006, 10:42 AM
take the dayton, it is waaaaaaaay better than an unpowered sony, low price sony=crap, remember that.

if you buy the sony you should change from dts geek to dts noob or noob in general, just buy the dayton, sony is good at making crappy out of the box 'home theater' thingies and other crap, let them do that.

note that this is not offensive in any kind and if it sounded like that, please excuse me,

basite.

N. Abstentia
09-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Anybody with a passive Sony woofer should be known as 'crap geek' :)

anamorphic96
09-30-2006, 02:15 PM
For the prices your paying you could easily buy a Mirage or Hsu sub. Or do some searches on Google and I think you will find the Dayton subs are top notch. Even the lower end ones, especially considering the ridiculous asking price. A HSU STF 1 or 2 will absolutely destroy anything youve considered already.

As stated above. Stay away from anything Sony when it comes to audio. There ES line is different story.

You are flat out throwing money away if you go the route youre talking about.

canuckle
09-30-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't even understand what is being bought here? There's an empty box with nothing in it that is assumed to have a 4 Ohm load and will be driven by a receiver with no facility to drive it (we'll call that the magic sub). Something is being bought from Parts Express and will equally be driven by the receiver that has no options for driving it. Something from Sony will be bought later even though it's Sony and will sound worse than the empty, unconnected magic sub box. ???

Go buy a real powered subwoofer and plug it into the sub-out from the receiver. And you're cut off... no more beer for you!!!

swwdts
09-30-2006, 09:22 PM
take the dayton, it is waaaaaaaay better than an unpowered sony, low price sony=crap, remember that.

if you buy the sony you should change from dts geek to dts noob or noob in general, just buy the dayton, sony is good at making crappy out of the box 'home theater' thingies and other crap, let them do that.

note that this is not offensive in any kind and if it sounded like that, please excuse me,

basite. I went & bought another Kenwood passive subwoofer from BestBuy.I do not get upset w/ your reply.This is the well,you may not live here but,in the US free speech allows you to say how you feel & that is just how you feel.You did make a good point though.Thanks for your reply!

anamorphic96
10-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't even understand what is being bought here? There's an empty box with nothing in it that is assumed to have a 4 Ohm load and will be driven by a receiver with no facility to drive it (we'll call that the magic sub). Something is being bought from Parts Express and will equally be driven by the receiver that has no options for driving it. Something from Sony will be bought later even though it's Sony and will sound worse than the empty, unconnected magic sub box. ???

Go buy a real powered subwoofer and plug it into the sub-out from the receiver. And you're cut off... no more beer for you!!!

The subs being talked about from Parts Express are powered, and are real subs.

Not sure where you got your info. :rolleyes5:

anamorphic96
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I went & bought another Kenwood passive subwoofer from BestBuy.I do not get upset w/ your reply.This is the well,you may not live here but,in the US free speech allows you to say how you feel & that is just how you feel.You did make a good point though.Thanks for your reply!

Sounds as if youre using a car subwoofer. Interesting. Did you bother to see if it would work within the parameters of the enclosure. Just because the ohm rating matches means nothing.

:rolleyes5: :rolleyes5: :rolleyes5:

basite
10-01-2006, 02:53 AM
I went & bought another Kenwood passive subwoofer from BestBuy.I do not get upset w/ your reply.This is the well,you may not live here but,in the US free speech allows you to say how you feel & that is just how you feel.You did make a good point though.Thanks for your reply!

we do have free speech here in tiny Belgium, i think almost every western country haves free speech, but you'll never know how people are going to react, you may not find my post offensive but other people might find it offensive, that why i said that last part.

Basite.

N. Abstentia
10-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I went & bought another Kenwood passive subwoofer from BestBuy.

My God. Do you just enjoy pissing away money or do you really think that a cheap passive subwoofer is a good thing?

swwdts
10-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I am paying for what I can afford.I have house payments & bills to pay & meds.for Epilepsy & also my Tubular Sclerosis to buy & I do not have $ 1000.00 to pay for a box that goes thud & boom for only 2 hours a movie.I am not upset w/ your reply but,I have to buy the cheapest speakers I can find & buy a produce that I know & I have known for years & years not just a name/company who may be out of bus. in 4 years or less.

anamorphic96
10-01-2006, 05:11 PM
You know it's ironic. All the companies we have suggested have very long standing good reputations. Also the products talked about could be had for less than you have spent. You talk about getting thud and boom. Thats all your getting with your set up. The stuff mentioned above will get you well defined deep bass.

It's fine if you want to keep throwing money away on half baked ideas. Besides all the products mentioned can be returned if you did not like them.

swwdts
10-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I do not want to pay s & h for a product sold in another state when,I just go to BestBuy & say this is what is wrong & they replace it with one or one of equal price as long as I have the proof of purchase/rec. & it is not an a hole telling me to buy another products his company sells for twice as much.

N. Abstentia
10-01-2006, 07:07 PM
You have more problems than an ohm problem, that's for sure.

All this money you've wasted buying crap, when you could have bought that Dayton sub for $150, been done with it, and had a sub that is 100 times better than a passive car speaker.

The driver alone in that Dayton is far superior to a Kenwood car woofer made in Elcrapistan or wherever they can buy a driver for $10, slap a Kenwood sticker on it, and sell it at Best Buy to people who don't know any better. The problem is, WE TOLD YOU BETTER. You should have known! Oh well.

markw
10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
it is not an a hole telling me to buy another products his company sells for twice as much.

First off, what "a hole" is telling you to buy a product that costs twice as much? Seems to me that you're referring to me here and, unless you can do some fancy dancing, I suggest you step up to the plate.

Twice as much as what? What you've already wasted? Kid, you've already pissed away so much of your precious money it's almost a joke. ...and it looks like you're ready to throw quite a bit more away. ...and I'M the a hole?

Oh, I don't work for them. Why did you think I did? Because I recommended one of their products? It's a great product. I was just trying to steer you in the right direction. The rest of the gang saw that. But not you... You're too fargin' stupid to even realize that we (not just me) were trying to help you!

So, you respond by calling me an ahole. Nice... real nice. You got class, kid.

You ask help solving problems that were created by your own ignorance (or stupidity) but, when presented with real solutions that will solve the problem and actually save you money, you persist in following your own doomed course of action and dissing anything you don't already know as junk and calling those who suggest them to you names. You don't even have enough sense to pull your hand from the fire when it's burning! You just cry that it hurts!

Kid, by calling me an ahole, you've just crossed the line between innocent ignorance, which can be cured with enlightenment, to blatant, arrogant stupidity which steadfastly castigates anyone who tries to combat that ignorance. Yeah, I'd say the great state of Kentucky is shy the front part of one horse.

But, hear me know and believe me later, when it comes to "junk", you have no idea what you're talking about and it's gonna cost you lots of that precious money to find that out. You're too stupid and proud to even know just how stupid and proud you actually are and too d**n stubborn to even consider that we tried (note past tense) to help you. You already know all the answers. Why bother asking us?

You're not worth the effort, kid. Since you're more comfortable placing your faith (and money) in those who work in big box stores local to you, please consult them for your problems in the future. I'm sure they see you rolling in, draw straws to see who is gonna wait on you, and the lucky guy then rubs his hands in glee, and salivates thinking of how he's gonna spend all that commission money he is gonna make off of you.

After all, what do us a holes know?

SlumpBuster
10-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I am not upset w/ your reply but,I have to buy the cheapest speakers I can find & buy a produce that I know & I have known for years & years not just a name/company who may be out of bus. in 4 years or less.

Umm, not to pile on or anything, but Kenwood is actually the company that "went out of business," so to speak at least. Kenwood stopped producing home theater receivers and components a few years ago to focus on the car market. Accordingly, they are no longer in the HT business.

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
After all, what do us a holes know?We're not a holes, we're elitist jerks, remember? Try to keep your goldang generalizations straight, will ya?

basite
10-02-2006, 12:44 AM
We're not a holes, we're elitist jerks, remember? Try to keep your goldang generalizations straight, will ya?

*reads post*, *thinks*, *starts to laugh very very hard*

oh yeah, elitist jerks, where was that time, what happened to that guy?? don't remember anymore.
rofl :thumbsup: