Bonnie Prince Billy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bonnie Prince Billy

Mike
09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Just listening to his latest album 'The Letting Go' and to these ears it's worth all the hype. The adding of Dawn McCarthy to vocals brings a whole new dimension to his normally morose and miserable (but mostly enjoyable) sound, he almost gets a bit upbeat on a few tracks.

Also enjoying Air - Late Night Tales. To anybody who knows these comps they can be a bit hit and miss sometimes but this one is ok it features tracks from The Cure, Japan, Scott Walker, Cat Power and even squeezes in Black Sabbath and Minnie Ripperton.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Just listening to his latest album 'The Letting Go' and to these ears it's worth all the hype. The adding of Dawn McCarthy to vocals brings a whole new dimension to his normally morose and miserable (but mostly enjoyable) sound, he almost gets a bit upbeat on a few tracks.
Yeah, I've heard that's one of his best in quite some time. Kind of high on my list, but a couple others first. He does often have some nice ladies on hand to lend the occasional backing, be it Freakwater's Catherine Irwin or Joanna Newsome or whomever. This new one is available in high rez 96/24 DVD-A surround too, but unfortunately only 5.1 MLP and no stereo tracks. Guess if you want high rez stereo you can get the LP instead. Thanks for the heads up :)

fitzrik
10-02-2006, 05:04 PM
My favourite of his, in fact the only one I ever really listened to, was err what's the one with I see a darkness on it? :)

Is the new one similar to that?

And isn't it on nice yummy 180grm Domino vinyl?

Mike
10-02-2006, 11:19 PM
My favourite of his, in fact the only one I ever really listened to, was err what's the one with I see a darkness on it? :)

Is the new one similar to that?

And isn't it on nice yummy 180grm Domino vinyl?

No it's not a bit like 'I See a Darkness' well he has his moments when he slips into morbid despair but the adding of female vocals just lifts the whole album and overall it's a much more uplifting album. Great recording too.

Cheers
Mike