Should I get this, or this, or something else? (receivers) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this, or this, or something else? (receivers)

zoltar
09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I thought I would start a new thread on this one. In my last post I was breaking ground trying to get some idea of where I should begin trying to build a home theater system. After reading all the excellent posts I have come to some conclusion that I really don't need even a mid-level receiver. I don't need the Ipod docking and up conversion from s-video to component, etc. My original question was do I need hdmi inputs, and the concensus was "no," so that was nice.

So, what about these two? There were some posts on both brand in my last thread.

- Pioneer VSX-816-K
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-A-V-Receiver-VSX-816-K/sem/rpsm/oid/148425/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

- Denon AVR-1506
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TCsU26eAk7j/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=033AVR1506

One thing I didn't care for with Denon is that it's one of those manufacturers still trying to hold onto price protection, where the manufacturer only allows certain dealers to sell at fixed prices. I know build quality is still something else, however!

The other thing is, my favorite little audio specialty store doesn't really want to sell me a lower end receiver, so I will have to work through those little details.

Advise appreciated!

paul_pci
09-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Either of these would be a nice carry over until the hdmi thing is resolved to everyone's needs. But I suppose I'd lean toward the Denon for its reputation and general care and quality they put into their products.

EdwardGein
09-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I have the Denon 3801 (2 to be exact, 1 in the bedroom & the other in the living room). I got this in excellent to very good condition on Ebay for around $400 with remote & manual from reputable dealers. I think this is going for around $50 less now on Ebay & if you have a Universal remote you can sell your Denon remote for another $40 or so. This original sold for $1300 & I'm very happy with the sound & both receivers work perfectly. If your against the idea of buying a used receiver, then by all means get something new, but I would get a more expensive one with better quality then the one you have listed. I didn't check your Pioneer out so I can't say. I'd research reviews on anything your interested on the web including this site.Good luck.

kexodusc
09-28-2006, 04:08 AM
I'd go with the Pioneer - Denon's build quality record for a/v receivers below $500 is no better than Pioneer's in recent history - odds are both will be fine and "quality" won't be an issue between the two. Pioneer doesn't make junk receivers - they're low cost and you get what you pay for, but their great little units for the money.
The Pioneer comes with 2 great features that can really make a big difference in sound quality:
1) auto-setup with EQ for balancing neurtalizing room acoustic issues - this is a great feature that every receiver should have by now

2) Full pre outs for adding external amplifiers. The power difference between these 2 is negligible. But later down the road if you want more juice or a bit more refinement for stereo, you can buy a used power amp for dirt cheap and plug it into the Pioneer, turning the a/v receiver into a glorified pre/pro.

Buying a used receiver will get you a bit more receiver for your dollar, if you're ready to take those risks.

If you really want a legend killer, get the Pioneer VSX-1016txv. Jandr.com sells it for $399 (and if you phone for a quote it will almost certainly be cheaper). I put last year's version of that receiver against my own $850 Yamaha receiver - the differences were extremely small, and I won't hesitate to say it wasn't out of place beside the more expensive Yammie. Arguably the best value in a/v receivers right now...if you can swing the extra cash you won't be disappointed.

AVMASTER
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
One thing I didn't care for with Denon is that it's one of those manufacturers still trying to hold onto price protection, where the manufacturer only allows certain dealers to sell at fixed prices. I know build quality is still something else, however!

you can not fault Denon ( lots of other manufacturers as well) for maintaining the integrity of thier products. Limited distribution and tightly controlled MAP is needed to continue to provide the quality products expected from Denon or any other manufacturer. Just think of what would become of Mercedes Benz if that little back alley dealer was selling brand new models at give-away prices!

topspeed
09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Just think of what would become of Mercedes Benz if that little back alley dealer was selling brand new models at give-away prices!Yep, MB holds their prices...and their cars are still going straight to the crapper! :D My friend just had his E55 bought back by MBUSA after 2 years of unmitigated hell. He figures that its been in the shop for nearly 3 months out of the 25 he's owned that car. To their credit, they not only bought the car back but also refunded almost all of his payments. He mentioned how cool it was for MB to stand behind their products like that. Of course, when I asked if he was going to get another Benz, his response was, "Oh, f**k no! Their cars are s**t!" :lol:

Sorry, BOT:

For the simple fact that the Pio has auto-eq and apparently the Denon does not; go Pio. Auto-eq is the best thing to come down the pike in quite some time.