Pure Reason Revolution: The Dark Third [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pure Reason Revolution: The Dark Third

3-LockBox
09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
First off, this isn't dark at all...symphonic rock to be sure; Floydish in spirit with its spacey textures, leaning more towards trance/ambient inspired rock than anything gothic or metal. It can be edgy at times and then again, it can be downright luscious, somewhat (but not quite) Porky Tree-ish. The band features a lot of vocal harmonization, with both male and female lead vocals, that sometimes conjure up images of Polyphonic Spree. Imagine the more etherial, offerings from groups like Lacuna Coil, Evanessence, or The Gathering, only with a more symphonic aestetic. Or imagine a harder edged Renaissance, to a degree.

Anyway, I like this one a lot. Definately a band I'm gonna watch out for from now on.

Heywood Djahblomie
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM
a whole week and not even pity click or so much as a reach-around

3LB, you are the weakest link

goodbye

3-LockBox
10-04-2006, 08:39 AM
wow...a defunct game show reference...now that's topical

reach-around? no thanks...I was always told, "let the soap lay where it falls".

Demetrio
10-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, also I loved PRR’s “The Dark Third”. Great stuff indeed, with reminiscences of P.Floyd and Porcupine Tree (instrumentals & arrangements), and also Yes and The Beach Boys (vocal parts). The vocal harmonies are just wonderful, with a female vocalist (Jamie Willcox) also joining the vocal parts.

Also enjoying a lot another great band I discovered some time ago, called DREDG. Great mix of progressive rock à la Porcupine Tree / Pineapple Thief with alt / indie rock à la Coldplay / Ours / Radiohead. Best album: “El Cielo”. Second best: “Catch Without Arms”. I didn’t like their first, “Leitmotif” (too metal for my taste, with some hints of The Mars Volta).

And ordered this week:

Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere

All these bands are said to be in the "NEW PROG" vein. And I really liked the ones I checked out till now.

Best regards,
Demetrio.

ForeverAutumn
10-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Holy Crap!!!! A ghost from the past! Welcome back D. I hope that everything's good in your corner of the world and that we'll see you around here more often. You've been missed, my friend.