Portable DVD players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD players

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Do any of you movie geeks own a portable DVD player, or know anything about them? I'm thinking of buying one (haven't decided for sure yet) but there is such a range in prices, I'm not sure what to get.

Are there specific features that I should be looking for? Are the more expensive ones worth the extra money? Mine will be spending a lot of time travelling in a suitcase, so I need something sturdy.

Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks.

Groundbeef
09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
1st travel to a local electronics retailer and ask to see what they have in stock. This will give you some reference for how large screen sizes are and what you like.

2nd. After doing your research you can go online to look for better pricing from a web retailer.

You may also see if your laptop is able to play DVD's. I just use it in the car for the kids. Better picture and size. I can get a full DVD 2.25 hours on one battery. Actually got a power inverter for the car, and now on long trips they can watch all the movies they want. Also with the laptop your sound may be better with headphones.

For personal I wouldn't want less than a 7" screen, and make sure it is in WIDESCREEN format. You don't want any cropping on that small size of a screen.

Find out how long the battery will last etc.

topspeed
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Wanna catch up on LOST S2 while your travelling, eh? ;)

Toshiba and Panasonic seem to be the ones mentioned most. I'd stay away from the flimsy Apex stuff. I bought a Toshiba based on reviews from CNET.com and have been very happy with it for the past 3 years. It's been dropped, poked, kicked, and has traveled from Boston to Maui and everywhere in between...still runs like a champ! On our trip to Maui last month the battery was good for 2 full movies (about 4 hours), which was surprising considering how old the battery is! With two kids in tow, words alone can't convey how invaluable it was :D.

Features I'd look for are:
* 16:9 screen
* Picture quality
* Sound clarity and volume (it has to be loud enough to drown out the plane/road noise)
* Battery life
* Dual headphone plugs
* Remote
* Light weight

Mine has component out and DTS out, but how often do you really use those? As for the weight issue, it's a matter of priorities. The Toshiba's weigh the proverbial Midas ton, but are as durable as they come (they don't break, believe me my kids have tried). While I'm never happy lugging the thing around in my backback on planes, at least I know it will work. Also, GB is right, screen size is important. The bigger the better. Check CNET and see what they have to say.

Hope this helps.

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I would just like to point out that laptops aren't that much more expensive than portable DVD players, and can do that and a whole lot more.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Wanna catch up on LOST S2 while your travelling, eh? ;)

Hehehe. You know me too well. I'm on an overnight roadtrip tomorrow and I was thinking, "wouldn't it be great if I could watch a couple of S2 episodes in the hotel?". :lol:

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I would just like to point out that laptops aren't that much more expensive than portable DVD players, and can do that and a whole lot more.

I can get a brand name portable DVD player for under $250 CDN (under $100 if I want to go with an unknown). I've never seen a laptop that cheap.

Besides, I already have to carry a laptop on all my business trips. I don't want to carry two of them. Unfortunately, my current laptop is a company laptop and I can't upgrade the hardware otherwise I'd just replace my CD drive with a CD/DVD drive.

L.J.
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM

Yup, I use mine for games, music and movies when on vacation.

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I can get a brand name portable DVD player for under $250 CDN (under $100 if I want to go with an unknown). I've never seen a laptop that cheap.Agreed. But is it any good?

My advice was coming from this: a videophile friend of mine recently bought a portable DVD player (well, if "recently" == "within the last year"). He paid as much for it (US$800) as I have seen laptops go for. Sorry for the misconstrue.

That said -- ever think of paying for a CD/DVD drive out of your own pocket? I know you said you can't upgrade, but sometimes those things are completely hot-dockable and stuff. Is it? I.E. You can take it out and put another one in and vice versa, almost as easily as ejecting a CD-ROM trolley/whatever it's called.

Alternatively, perhaps an external DVD-ROM via USB or Firewire...? I don't think they'd give you carp about installing drivers and DVD-watching software, would they? It'd also give you less to carry.

Groundbeef
09-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Agreed. But is it any good?

My advice was coming from this: a videophile friend of mine recently bought a portable DVD player (well, if "recently" == "within the last year"). He paid as much for it (US$800) as I have seen laptops go for. Sorry for the misconstrue.

That said -- ever think of paying for a CD/DVD drive out of your own pocket? I know you said you can't upgrade, but sometimes those things are completely hot-dockable and stuff. Is it? I.E. You can take it out and put another one in and vice versa, almost as easily as ejecting a CD-ROM trolley/whatever it's called.

Alternatively, perhaps an external DVD-ROM via USB or Firewire...? I don't think they'd give you carp about installing drivers and DVD-watching software, would they? It'd also give you less to carry.

I agree on this point. Actually you may not even need to install any software if it is an xp laptop. I should just recognize the drive as a dvd drive. You then could play the movie using media player. That would be a pretty easy thing to do. However, you would lose some of the "portablility" of the device. Plus if the drive requires power more than the usb could provide you would need to plug that in as well. That could become a real hassle.

In your case perhaps a portable would be the better answer.

bobsticks
09-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Autumn,

Just a word of advice, if you opt for a portable I would insist upon a warranty. I have a friend who went through three Panny units in as many months until she found one that worked. I suspect that this is one of the major OEM areas for the big guys, and as I recall reviews of some of the "big name" products correspond with this. Don't leave yerself hangin'

Cheers